Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build

Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
zombie7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build

Original First Post:
I have the opportunity to pick up a "free" 1997 7.3L XLT F-350 4x4. Has the auto, is not a dualy. It's been sitting outside for 12 years and has 300k+ miles but, "ran good when I parked it." Free sounds pretty good, but what are the chances I can get it to start with a fresh pair of batteries and all new fluids (including fuel). What are the chances that it will need all new rubber everything? How do the fuel injectors deal with sitting for so long? Lots of questions as it would be my first diesel vehicle, but it's also kind of a dream truck for me. Opportunity of a lifetime or an endless money pit?

Build Thread First Post Things:
So yeah, ended up picking her up and towing her about 200 miles home. So far, things are going well, but here's an overall to-do list for the truck. Let me know if you think I'm missing anything critical here!
Things to Do Before Attempting to Start:
  • Siphon out old fuel and replace
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Oil fog valve train
  • Oil fog cylinders
  • Check air filter
  • New batteries
  • Fill coolant
  • Oil change
  • Replace ignition lock cylinder
  • Check glow plug resistance
  • Repair brake booster line
  • Repair vacuum line near passenger firewall
  • Compression test, if feasible
Things to Do Before Driving:
  • Inspect brakes
  • Check all lights
  • Replace driver's interior door handle
  • Replace transmission oil
  • Replace diff and transfer case oil
  • Figure out what's up with the transfer case shift lever
  • Inspect steering column switches and levers
  • Confirm gauges working
  • Fix parking brake
Things to Do When Money Allows:
  • Rebuild injectors
  • New tires (definitely before highway speeds)
  • Transmission cooler and filter upgrade
  • New hoses for engine bay
Short Term Bonus Items!
  • Confirm working power windows
  • Adjust doors so they close easily
  • Get A/C working and check heater functionality
  • Confirm stereo working
  • Detail interior
  • Red tape for driver's tail light
  • Junk yard bumper
  • Seat cover
  • Floor mats
Long Term Bonus Items!
  • Line the bed and bottom quarter of body (lime green?)
  • Paint and body work?
  • Running boards
  • Matching front driver's wheel
  • New steering wheel
  • New ashtray and power port drawer
  • New lights all around
  • Weld up the tool box (cracked in several places)
  • Intercooler?
  • Lund visor
  • Deer killer with serious winch and skid plate?
  • Roll bar with KC lights?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
You can't beat free, take it as some of the parts are worth $$$.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:14 AM
farmert
Postmaster
farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.
As Adam said "can't beat free". Depending where you live, the front Dana 60 axle is worth from 800-1200 bucks. I'm pretty confident that it would start with new batteries, if the critters haven't gotten to the wiring, and fresh fuel. It might take some cranking to get everything recharged. You might be tempted to give it a shot of starting fluid, but don't do that without disabling the glow plugs, as glow plugs and either don't mix. Most likely you will have to spend quite a little on it to get it trust worthy, but you could part it out for quite a little.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

Tow it off tonight, do not try to start it there. Seller/donor could have remorse hearing it run. I would pop valve covers and make sure nothing odd is going on below them (loose or bent pushrod). I would also pull glow plugs and fog the cylinders with a fogging oil for a few days. Crank it by hand to make sure the engine is free. Crank the engine with the solenoid, glow plugs OUT, to lube up the top end. No way I would start it that dry. You may really want to consider cracking oil pan drain plug, they can collect moisture with age, just to verify no water is in there.

Amazon Amazon

Fuel may or may not be bad, if there is algae in the system you will be spending a while cleaning that crap up.

Something was wrong for it just to be parked. Count on dropping $3k into it pretty quick to be reliable to drive around town. Two 850CCA batts and a good starter will be $500 of that easily.

Good luck and make us a thread!

Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM
97-psd
Posting Guru
97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.
If it ran when parked, then why was it parked? Was it parked under any cover? Have the rats made a hotel out of it?

you obviously can part it out and make your money back, but so could the current owner. It sounds like the truck may have a story.

A far as starting it, you already have some great ideas from some other guys. If you decide to get it, take your time to work through any obvious issues and don’t rush it. Rushing may cost you more money than necessary.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice, guys. The complicating factor is that it's four hours away, so a long way to tow something like that, not mention I'd have to find a trailer big enough to do it. I think my best bet will be to get out there in the next couple of days, siphon out any remaining fuel, drain all the fluids I can, refill all of them, pop the valve covers and the glow plugs, hose everything down with fogging oil, turn it by hand, put in new batteries and pray.

Do the filler necks on these have anything that will keep me from snaking a hose down there? Tips and tricks/links to threads for draining and filling coolant, trans, power steering, brakes etc? Any special tools I'll need for any of that?

Oh! One more complicating factor: old man has lost the keys in the past 12 years, but I saw one of the mods just suggesting to shear the pins in the tumbler to get the old one out, so that'll be fun. I saw another thread that the dealerships can cut new keys by VIN, but that they only keep those lists for 10 years, is that right?

Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
Something was wrong for it just to be parked.
I don't think so. I think the old guy who owns it probably just upgraded and stored it. Plenty of ritzy rhinestone cowboys in the area that will gladly buy a new truck to have a new truck, but if their old truck isn't worth much at trade-in, why not just store it, ya know?

Old 05-03-2019, 12:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
DIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to behold
I;d be more concerned that the rodents had chewed the wiring all to heck, but that can vary from one locale to the next. At any rate, I'd give it a careful look (free is a good price!!).

Old 05-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does the owner have a title at least?

Breaking the tumbler should be easy. I did once with a nail and a 16oz hammer.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
The photos I have so far, for the curious:

Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Johnpenner
New User
Johnpenner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, I wish my free 97 Powerstroke was 4x4!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
Does the owner have a title at least?
Yeah, says he'll sign it over to whoever can get it out of the storage lot.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 PM
zombie7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
I'd be more concerned that the rodents had chewed the wiring all to heck.
Probably won't be an issue with the climate, but we'll see.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zombie7.3 View Post
Yeah, says he'll sign it over to whoever can get it out of the storage lot.

****** it and run man. You may not be only interested party.

AAA will do a free 200 mile tow per year with their top membership. That should be mostly there. Rest of way could be Uhaul truck w dolly, pop Tcase in neutral.

Go go go!

Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
fordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant future
I would have had it on a trailer by now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: