1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got it up there! Skid plate around the torque doubler (I think that's what it's called) got caught on the edge of the trailer and gave us all kinds of trouble.

Weird-*** breather tube (??) coming off a Tee from a line from the brake booster?

Mouse nest made out of reflective firewall insulation.

Worst body damage on the truck. Wyoming wind ripped the door out of the PO's hand.

Whelp, tomorrow we drive 200 miles across the state to bring it home. Sure hope the 3/4 ton Chevy can do it! I swear the last thing they did before parking it was take it mudding. Fortunately the father-in-law has a power washer and we got most of the mud from the undercarriage washed out. Also wrapped a bag around the alternator and power washed the engine bay.

Brakes still had pressure, which I'll take as a good sign. Wasn't able to get the TC into neutral, so I tried hooking up a jump pack to the battery to see if there was maybe a solenoid that kept the TC locked into 2H and 4H that might release with a little power. No luck with that, but all the lights lit up on the dash, so I'll take that as a good sign, too. Once I get it home I'll start a build thread, but don't expect any fancy mods. Aside from getting road worthy the only thing I'd really want is a visor and a bumper. We'll see though, lol.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:16 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck yeah, man! I think you're doing okay there. That's a beast of a truck.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
brake booster line could be couple things? maybe they had it rigged up for ether or to use an engine cleaner?......but hello....mcfly.... vacuum pump....I cant figure that one out.

That skid plate is the transfer case skid plate

Good luck with her!

remember, check the glow plugs with ohm meter, and fuel lift pump is mechanical. could save you alot of headache and endless cranking.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
The shift lever for the transfer case is probably stuck/corroded around the bolt that the lever pivots on. The bolt is steel, and the bracket is aluminum so the 2 different metals set up a chemical reaction when moisture and mud are introduced to them. Remove the pivot bolt and take it to a wire wheel and shine it up. Coat it with grease and reinstall.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM
19nindee
Junior User
Dang dude your lucky I’m ready to see you resurrect the beast

Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Thumbs up

Niceeeeeeeee.

I see one Alcoa for sure. Good news there, strong and light! I have a cholo bumper for it in Texas if you want it, beats no bumper I guess.

Stock downpipe too! Wow.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 AM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Niceeeeeeeee.

I see one Alcoa for sure. Good news there, strong and light! I have a cholo bumper for it in Texas if you want it, beats no bumper I guess.

Stock downpipe too! Wow.
Yeah, rears are both aftermarket aluminum. Fronts look stock-ish but have Warn hubs. Engine bay is totally stock except for some ugly wiring around the headlights.

I'm not a welder yet, but plan to be before the summer is over. Hopefully there'll be a big deer killer on there before winter. Pics of the cholo bumper for the laughs?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Ask and ye shall receive - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...co-a-poco.html Post 9

I hear MOVE? makes good DIY bumpers. Do the headlight relay harness upgrade. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard is cheapest place for it.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Ask and ye shall receive - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...co-a-poco.html Post 9

I hear MOVE? makes good DIY bumpers. Do the headlight relay harness upgrade. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard is cheapest place for it.
Hahaha, pass on that bumper, but thanks for the offer! Just got out to check the lugs on the trailer, turns out front driver is the only stock wheel, everything else is aluminum!

Old 05-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Now I have a stocker! Jarrett hooked me up. Truck looks totally different if you flip through my thread. Rollpan gone too, scored a ranch style rear.

Should be able to find one SRW Alcoa pretty easy.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a spare srw alcoa, pm me if you're interested.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User

Made it home! Has her big sister parked in behind her. Believe it or not, this truck isn't the biggest thing in my driveway. 24 foot Grumman Kabmaster with a 351 Windsor in the background.

I'll let you know about that wheel, Jarrett!

Old 05-07-2019, 06:12 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
The shift lever for the transfer case is probably stuck/corroded around the bolt that the lever pivots on. The bolt is steel, and the bracket is aluminum so the 2 different metals set up a chemical reaction when moisture and mud are introduced to them. Remove the pivot bolt and take it to a wire wheel and shine it up. Coat it with grease and reinstall.
The chemical reaction is called electrolysis. It can even happen with aluminum and concrete. I deal with it at work.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User

$30 Chinesium endoscope that ain't all that bad.

Just got a look inside the fuel tanks. Really don't look all that bad... Let me know what you guys think! I should probably at least drain out the fuel in the front tank, yeah?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tanks look great, so does the fuel. I have ran worse. Drop and drain both to be safe, a couple hours will save your azz down the road on injectors, drain the bowl, change the filter, and check the FPR screen, Throw 5 gallons in it and go start it.

I bought a CCLB 350 with Dump bed for 1200$, sat 3 years, I put batteries in it and it fired up on the second revolution... I was a bit shocked. Not a hitch with the truck since outside of the blown trans right off the lot.

Quick Reply: Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build