Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts, dies within seconds

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 PM
graduate
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starts, dies within seconds

Hi all – I’m struggling to get my F-150 running again. It’s a 1993 with a 5.0 engine.

I’ve had the truck about two years and it was running fine until last fall. It got this weird issue where it would die whenever I turned right. I took it to my usual mechanic who installed new spark plug wires.

Well, that made it run a lot smoother, but it was still dying whenever it turned right. The mechanic checked what they thought were wiring harnesses that could be causing problems. But when they removed the spout connector, they found they could keep the truck running even on a right turn. So they cleaned all the grounds from the connector and the truck ran fine for one week. Then it died for good.

So I took it home where it sat for a couple of months. Then it went to the dealership who told me the truck had a dead battery (likely from sitting around), needed a new ignition switch and a new throttle position sensor. They quoted me $800. They also said none of these fixes would necessarily resolve the odd right-turn stalling.

So I took it home again. By the way, I don't have a garage which is why I kept taking it to a mechanic. But now the weather is improving so I began working on the truck last week. I replaced the ignition switch, but it wouldn’t start. I installed a new battery, which got it to turn over but it still wouldn’t start.

This past weekend I pulled the throttle body and installed a new throttle position sensor. Now, the truck starts, but it stalls after 10 seconds. I'm just wondering if this issue sounds familiar to anyone who might have suggestions on where to go from here. We're expecting good weather on Sunday so I plan to work on the truck again this weekend.

Appreciate any recommended next steps and good luck to everyone else wrenching on their Fords! .

Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
does it have a mass airflow sensor?
if so, it will not run without the Mass airflow sensor hooked up in the air intake.
and it has to be clean too. i had one truck that would not stay running that had a spider web on the mass airflow sensor.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
'93 would not have a MAF sensor from the factory, it would be SD.

First thing I would do is put a jumper wire from the battery to the + terminal on the coil to make sure you have good 12V at the coil all the time.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Does it start right back up after the 10 second die?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM
graduate
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by tjc transport
does it have a mass airflow sensor?
if so, it will not run without the Mass airflow sensor hooked up in the air intake.
and it has to be clean too. i had one truck that would not stay running that had a spider web on the mass airflow sensor.
Yes it does have a MAF but it was replaced a little over a year ago.

Originally Posted by jas88
'93 would not have a MAF sensor from the factory, it would be SD.

First thing I would do is put a jumper wire from the battery to the + terminal on the coil to make sure you have good 12V at the coil all the time.
I will definitely try this.

Originally Posted by subford
Does it start right back up after the 10 second die?
Not right away. I have to wait about a minute or two and then it did start back up. Can't keep it running though. It's like it runs out of fuel or something.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by graduate
Yes it does have a MAF but it was replaced a little over a year ago.
It does? Did you do the mass air conversion or was it already on there when you bought the truck? Do you know who made the kit?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
No MASS in 1993 F-series Trucks.

There could be one three things have been know to do this problem of shutting off after 10 seconds.
1. The PIP sensor but this would show up in the stored codes.
2. The selected fuel pump but this also should show up in the stored codes.
3. The PCM Computer.

So you need to see what stored codes you have in CM (Continuous Memory).

Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Hllblly
New User
Hi there . im quite new here.sorry im not good wth cell phone or websites . i dnt know how to search for appropriate thread wthout going thru all 999 000 posts that relate to late 80s early 90s f150s. So I cant find threads that address my issues but i have one question for now. My truck starts and dies within minutes ,not seconds. Thats not the issue i have right now tho. Its a 1990 f150 xlt lariat 4x4 wth manual everything. Anyways a gentleman on here the other day told me to get obd code reader from amazon to start. However frm what i understand ,on this truck when using obd i would have to count how many times CEL light blinks to get codes. BUT my CEL light doesnt work. Im assuming previous owners somehow turned it off so they could sell it to an idiot like me. So how would someone have got the CEL light to not come on? It Doesnt come on when i turn key either and it shld like most vehicles' dash lights all come on . So will an obd reader still make CEL light blink if the light is not working in the first place??? whr should i START to look to figure out how to get it back on. IT SHOULD be on since it has hole in egr pipe and some other issues. I just dont wanna buy obd reader from amazon if its not gonna tell me anything wth the cel light not illuminating . is thr a bulb the previous owner could have taken out? Is thr sumthing they could have done with the wiring ? No gauges work except speedo and gas. Irrelevant but Gas only works for the bottom quarter of tank....Would that mean someone tried to unhook cel light and that made all the gauges and dash lights etc not work? Interior lights headlights door dinger (dinger works but its slow n quiet) and the dash illumination all work .. Any help would be much appreciated. I need this cel light im assuming before i can do anything about finding codes. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
The CEL has nothing to do with the read out on this code reader from amazon.
Amazon Amazon

No the code reader will not make the CEL work or light if does not work now.
Someone may have removed the CEL bulb but it sounds like you have more problems with the cluster than just the CEL.
You might check fuse #18.
/

Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Hllblly
New User
Ok, Thank u for advice..rite now my dad is actually trying to fix egr tube cuz sumbody welded it before and did ****ty job and now it broke again in same place. Truck idled fine and ran fine before winter until egr tube cracked at the ****ty weld one of previous owners did ...it wasnt perfect before winter ,but it actually ran and drove just wldnt pass emissions test. But now our government got rid of emissions testing on april 1st so we just want it to run how it did before winter. Once we fix egr tube then i will order the code reader to find any other problems. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Hllblly - what you just did is called "thread hijacking". You divert attention away from the OP (original poster) who started this thread and wants attention paid his problem, not yours.

On top of that, your issue will only be looked at incidentally by people who are in this thread due to the original title, which is not your problem, so you get less results on your query as well.

You should start a new thread with your issue and you will get better results.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Hllblly
New User
The CEL has nothing to do with the read out on this code reader from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F...s%2C194&sr=8-3

No the code reader will not make the CEL work or light if does not work now.
Someone may have removed the CEL bulb but it sounds like you have more problems with the cluster than just the CEL.
You might check fuse #18.
/
Thanks subford . thats EXACT code reader i was looking at last nite and planned on getting cuz it had good reviews but i thought i would still have to count the flashes on cel light to get codes. Maybe i read that in the reviews for it or maybe i read it somewhr on this site in another forum . i didnt think it had to do with reader tho i thought it was cuz of the age of my truck.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Hllblly
New User
Sorry jas88 .. Im starting to find my way around this site and starting to understand how to find things on here. I guess its just easier to google my issue to find proper forum /thread..i would have started new thread but i thought ppl would start bitching saying that thr was already a thread for my issue(s) because ive had it happen on another site. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 PM
graduate
5th Wheeling
No MASS in 1993 F-series Trucks.

There could be one three things have been know to do this problem of shutting off after 10 seconds.
1. The PIP sensor but this would show up in the stored codes.
2. The selected fuel pump but this also should show up in the stored codes.
3. The PCM Computer.

So you need to see what stored codes you have in CM (Continuous Memory).
You are absolutely right. I had the wrong acronym. It was the MAP sensor that was replaced back in 2017. I had planned to use my code reader this weekend to see what it shows.

Sorry about my confusion. And thank you for the suggestions.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by Hllblly
Sorry jas88 .. Im starting to find my way around this site and starting to understand how to find things on here. I guess its just easier to google my issue to find proper forum /thread..i would have started new thread but i thought ppl would start bitching saying that thr was already a thread for my issue(s) because ive had it happen on another site. Thanks for the advice.
not to worry, every newbie is allowed to make one mistake........

after that though we stake you down over a fire ants nest.

Quick Reply: Starts, dies within seconds