2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

2021 Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnday
There's been a lot of speculation for sure. Here is what I learned today directly from a test engineer, that is working down in Atlanta at the Lockheed wind tunnel, testing all Ford products.
2.3 and 2.7 offered
Removable doors and top
2 and 4 door, two different wheelbases
Styling size is retro to original Bronco, 1965-1977, not a full size built on a 150 platform.
He knows my likes and dislikes when it comes to trucks, he said, "You WILL like this"!
Sorry if any is a repeat for you guys, just a headsup to me from a guy that knows.
If the body was locked in months ago, I would assume there would have been some aero testing along the way. Beating the Jeep Wrangler on NVH is sure to be one of the big targets they would pursue. If they avoid the fold down windshield gimmick and a less flat shape Ford can probably take a significant advantage there.

I don't suppose your friend noticed what was under the front end?

Old 07-07-2019, 05:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
There's been a lot of speculation for sure. Here is what I learned today directly from a test engineer, that is working down in Atlanta at the Lockheed wind tunnel, testing all Ford products.
2.3 and 2.7 offered
Removable doors and top
2 and 4 door, two different wheelbases
Styling size is retro to original Bronco, 1965-1977, not a full size built on a 150 platform.
He knows my likes and dislikes when it comes to trucks, he said, "You WILL like this"!
Sorry if any is a repeat for you guys, just a headsup to me from a guy that knows.
This is exciting!!

Considering how nicely Ford has packaged the Mustang I'll be the eternal optimist on this one.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Stampede.Offroad
I don't suppose your friend noticed what was under the front end?
I'm sure he did, but never thought to ask. He'll be leaving here today to go back downstate, then to Atlanta. If I see him, I'll be sure to ask.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:36 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Much of that has been assumed, but it is decidedly great to hear things confirmed from multiple sources.

"Removable top" is open to interpretation. Top panel(s), or entire roof? These are the details I'm sure those in the know will be reticent to reveal lest they become unemployed. But even a non-specific hint at a removable top is a very welcome confirmation.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put the new BRONCO body on a jeep Rubicon and call it good. Other wise ford does not have a chance to compete.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by jsduty
Just put the new BRONCO body on a jeep Rubicon and call it good. Other wise ford does not have a chance to compete.
You're going to get some kickback on that assertion

Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
I JUST HOPE FORD IS READING
By the way I do bleed ford blue.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 PM
hd4ever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Ford is going to crush the Wrangler. They know what there competition is. I don't read that great of feed back on the new Gladiator. Just read the reviews on the Raptor.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:35 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
To me Jeep is a toy. It's a great third vehicle for a person with deep pockets and lots of spare time.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
To me Jeep is a toy. It's a great third vehicle for a person with deep pockets and lots of spare time.
Nah, I had the same thought process after owning an 87 and 01. I bought the 01 as a third vehicle, and my wife loved the Jeep experience, but not really driving it. After begging me for a newer 4 door jku, I finally gave in and bought her a low mileage(55k) 2014 Sahara. We just returned from a 1000 mile+ vacation trip in the Jeep. Even with aftermarket 10" wide wheels, It averaged well over 20mpg, drove like a dream, rode good and held all our luggage no problem. She's put 15k trouble free miles on it so far. Admittedly, it needs some lower gears for 95% of or driving, which is around town and 50-55mph hwy's. But the 3.21's and factory ~32.5" tires did excellent at 70-75mph on the interstate.

The new jl's are even better. I test drove one.

Now I bleed blue, and had reservations about buying a newer Jeep. But it's been a good daily driver vehicle, and has impressed me a few times in situations that I know my super duty with aggressive tires would need 4 wheel drive, that it didn't even think about slipping a tire in 2wd.

A year or 2 after the bronco comes out, we will definitely be interested. But ford better put out a very impressive product to compete with a wrangler. And that's a lot more than just putting a more powerful, fuel efficient engine in it. I'm sure the styling will be awesome. But it better get naked easily. Especially the front seats(like jeeps freedom panels), It better handle good, yet flex and grip like a fly hanging upside down. It better be easily modified and wrenched on. It better have plenty of cargo space. It better have a good stereo system for riding around naked, because the Jeep's is great. It better have a simple and rugged interior. It better have a soft top option, because the majority of jeep owners prefer them(we actually like our hard top better). All this stuff seems simple, but it would be just like ford to miss the mark on one of them(especially the last one), and that could really cost them in sales.

A couple simple things ford could do and already have in their arsenal are, a bigger more comfortable rear seat. I had to put a recline kit in our rear seat just to make it livable for our 14 year old. A smoother cruise control system with adaptive cruise. A better infotainment system. Better lighting...all over. No black plastic bumpers(this could fall under easily modified). Lower gearing options and put axles and hubs in that will handle 35's maybe even 37's without modification, even if you have to forgo a mpg on the ratings. After all, it's being released as an off-road capable vehicle. Build it tough.

I doubt it, but hope ford is listening. Cause this is the stuff that will make or break the bronco.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:04 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Lets not forget front & rear lockers from the factory.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You are complete right. And I'm guessing an available e-locker in the rear is given, since it's already across the board in their pick up line. But they should make them an option in all trim bases, not just their "rock monster" or what ever they are calling it that is the rubicons direct competitor. Let's face it, there are a ton more mall crawlers sold than rock crawlers. Mall crawlers don't need them, and rock crawlers don't need to be the high trim level. So make your base trim levels with the same tough running gear as your top end models, and make lockers an option on all trim levels. The rock monster should just have the quick sway bar disconnects(electric?), standard low gears and lockers, better shocks, slightly taller stance and larger more aggressive tires, rock sliders, skid plates, and of course the fancy infotainment with angle meters and such. Have options for off-road lighting, a winch and upfitter switches. If ford can put that package together at a price that is cheaper than modding one, slap some rock monster stickers on it and call it a hit! Building it cheaper than modding shouldn't be a problem, between not paying for 2 sets of sway bar links, 8 shocks, 8 tires and bulk buying power.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I will agree with everything Ron has said. Jeep has been producing the wrangler for years and they are very good at it. While I do own an '85 CJ7, and it is cool to drive it around town, the newer jeeps are light years ahead. I've also owned 2 TJs. Even they were not that bad of a daily driver (as long as you had the hard top). The JKs and the JLs, are the ultimiate daily driver/weekend warrior. I've been in a few of them, and the craziest part is that they are just as fun and capable in stock form as they are when they are heavily modified. People can call them mall crawlers, or soccer mom jeeps or whatever, but if you have owned wranglers over the years, you know that Jeep has figured out how to make them better every year. One thing is for certain, if Ford is trying to compete with the Wrangler, then this first model year bronco better knock it out of the park or there will more than likely not be another one.

With that said, Ford is well aware that the Wrangler is the competition. They should be able to look at everything Jeep has done and build a serious competitor. Jeep's biggest win with the wrangler is the fact that the new ones can be a family vehicle just as easy as they can be a hardcore offroad machine. Personally I would rather see Ford not worry too much about the family cruiser aspect and just make this new Bronco the most bad *** factory offroad vehicle every built (even though that won't happen). They did well enough with Raptor that I think they know how to put out an off road capable machine that will sell to the masses. Only time will tell.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:43 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We have two Jeeps. The only non Ford vehicles in our driveway. The 98 TJ is my wife's favorite. It's lifted and stupid fun. We also have a 2018 JLU that's lifted on 35's. It really is flexible. With the Mopar lift it rides fantastic. The interior and the radio are water resistant. The dash is flat. The freedom panels make it easy to go half naked. With 35's, it gets 16 mpg locally and 20 on a trip.
But it's a Chrysler. It's had death wobble (5200 miles), steering wander, crap radio, rattling speakers, etc. Jeep has a cult following and they've really exploited it. They sell for a fortune and have killer resale.
In our case, my wife is anxious to see what the Bronco brings. She hates the JL steering. And her past ecoboosts have spoiled her.
Ford can't give us another jellybean SUV. I hope they truly understand Wrangler owners and their fan base. I don't expect they will have a solid axle (front). And to the majority of owners, it will be a non issue. I'd prefer it as lifting is easier. But they must hit styling and versatility. Getting naked better be easy!
They came up with the Raptor so my bets are they will get it right.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 AM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
BRONCOCON PLEASE !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2021 Bronco