Sponsored by:

Yet another question about the brake cruise recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Daneman
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another question about the brake cruise recall

Ok, so, I just bought a pristine 2000 Excursion with the 5.4L.
The cruise didn't work, and in my research (mostly here,) I learned about the recall. The recall had been done, but the self-test kept indicating a bad deactivator switch or circuitry.
I replaced the switch and the pigtail that came with it, but it still didn't work.
I cleaned the gunk off of the harness under the master cylinder and unwrapped it to find a jumper with an inline fuse holder. This rigged up looking thing is the one with the blue tag on it. The tag said that if the fuse blew to replace it with Kit #9F924.
The fuse in the holder was disintegrated into a slimy goo and the two prongs from the fuse were just sticking up.
I took that jumper out that I've learned was Ford's temporary fix, and I plugged the truck's harness up to the harness that came with my new deactivator switch.
The cruise then passed the self-test. I took it for a drive and everything is working as it should.

OK.

When I look up #9F924, everything I find points me to the switch and pigtail I bought yesterday.

This is my question: Do I need to replace the disintegrated fuse and reinstall this inline fuse holder with the blue tag, or does the kit I bought yesterday REPLACE that pigtail?

**The switch I removed yesterday that came with the truck when I bought it was relatively clean and identical to the one I replaced it with yesterday.**

Here is a picture of the jumper inline fuse thing.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Daneman
Junior User
Anyone....?

Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Is there a fuse somewhere in the new harness? Only need one fuse, but you do need it.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 326 Likes on 247 Posts
If I recall correctly it is Motorcraft SW-6350
should be a new switch and harness.

i don’t recognize your number so can’t say what it is or what it replaces but the Motorcraft one is the complete fix or update.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Daneman
Junior User
The harness pictures had a fuse holder. The one that came when I bought the item that the blue tag told me to use doesn't show a fuse holder like the old one, but maybe it's a fusible link?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Daneman
Junior User

This is what I get when I Google #9F924 and this is what I bought from Advance.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:32 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 326 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Daneman
The harness pictures had a fuse holder. The one that came when I bought the item that the blue tag told me to use doesn't show a fuse holder like the old one, but maybe it's a fusible link?
or maybe it’s just the Chinese version for the one that burns down your Ex, Time will tell

Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Daneman
Junior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

or maybe it’s just the Chinese version for the one that burns down your Ex, Time will tell
You're a lot of help, but maybe you didn't read my OP.
When you look up the Ford part #9F924, this is what it shows, and the tag says that when the inline fuse blows to replace it with that.
I'm looking for some hands-on information about it.
I guess you don't really have any.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
This is what I get when I Google #9F924 and this is what I bought from Advance.
I got a motorcraft one that looks like this, so I guess we're in the same boat if it's gonna burn us down.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 AM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're a lot of help, but maybe you didn't read my OP.
When you look up the Ford part #9F924, this is what it shows, and the tag says that when the inline fuse blows to replace it with that.
I'm looking for some hands-on information about it.
I guess you don't really have any.
I think Camos comment was a response to the fact that he gave you the OEM replacement number and you went with a cheap knockoff. But yes that is the "updated" harness after the recall. There is no fuse in the new harness.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:48 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
The Ford dealer put this on when I had the recall done. The part number printed on the harness is 8w7t14a411e5595. Looks like a fuse holder on the end and it plugs in between the harness on the MC and the chassis.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Daneman
Junior User
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
The Ford dealer put this on when I had the recall done. The part number printed on the harness is 8w7t14a411e5595. Looks like a fuse holder on the end and it plugs in between the harness on the MC and the chassis.

That’s what I took out. The fuse was blown. Any idea what amperage it was originally? The plastic of the fuse was dissolved by the brake fluid.
I’ve cleaned it all.
The part number I have on my blue tag is the one I mentioned earlier.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Daneman
Junior User
Originally Posted by peppersfords
I think Camos comment was a response to the fact that he gave you the OEM replacement number and you went with a cheap knockoff. But yes that is the "updated" harness after the recall. There is no fuse in the new harness.
i get what he was saying, but it’s not much help with the problem. It ends up basically heckling someone who has just entered the Excursion world and has come here for help. I’m sure that the sarcasm helps him feel smart, but it doesn’t help people like me learn anything.
I’m here because I’m ignorant of a lot of Excursion stuff. That doesn’t mean I’m ignorant as a whole, though.
I didn’t know that there was a difference in the Motorcraft version and the one at Advance.
Instead of saying that, he offered up some snark that made him feel special, I suppose.
Didn’t really help, though.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
i get what he was saying, but it’s not much help with the problem. It ends up basically heckling someone who has just entered the Excursion world and has come here for help.
Or another point of view, another angle, another way to view it is, "You may be a newb, but you're family now" and family gets treated the same. With humor and a poke in the ribs. Think of it as akin to sitting around a campfire sipping your favorite beverage and guys are chatting tech. It's usually wrapped in humor and jabs, depending on how long you've known each other. We tend to pretend you've been here awhile and just accept you as you are.

You may have taken a bit of umbrage to the post, but your response shows a level-headedness that will fit right in here. We're pretty easy going and laid back, so enjoy and don't hesitate to post pics of your rig. We like pictures!

Stewart

Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Daneman
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Or another point of view, another angle, another way to view it is, "You may be a newb, but you're family now" and family gets treated the same. With humor and a poke in the ribs. Think of it as akin to sitting around a campfire sipping your favorite beverage and guys are chatting tech. It's usually wrapped in humor and jabs, depending on how long you've known each other. We tend to pretend you've been here awhile and just accept you as you are. .

You may have taken a bit of umbrage to the post, but your response shows a level-headedness that will fit right in here. We're pretty easy going and laid back, so enjoy and don't hesitate to post pics of your rig. We like pictures!

Stewart
oh. I’m a full blown and proud redneck, so I’m not easily bothered. Big shoulders, right?
Just wasn’t very helpful.

She’s old but she’s really clean.

Quick Reply: Yet another question about the brake cruise recall