Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

CLUTCH HELP

Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
grandaddy's52 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grandaddy's52 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CLUTCH HELP

I installed my transmission and set motor in frame. When I attached my clutch arm, I have to press the pedal way down to get the clutch plate disengaged from the flywheel. I have about 1 1/2" travel in the throw out bearing before it ever touches the clutch pressure plate. I am not sure what I have wrong. There is about 4-6 inches in the pedal travel before the throw out makes contact. As it is now, I think my pedal would bottom out on the floorboard of cab. I have the clutch rod arm almost all the way out. It is hard to see in the pictures. 52, F1, 239, 3 speed

Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Can you take a picture further to the rear, thru the inspection hole, that shows how the clutch fork is seated on the release hub?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
grandaddy's52 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grandaddy's52 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
yes, I will and post tomorrow. I sent the transmission to Van Pelt and had it rebuilt there. The clutch fork and throw out bearing was installed by them.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
OK, then I'm sure the fork is in good shape.

Did you get the clutch from VP too?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 AM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User

Old Clutch depth
[img][/img]
Old clutch fingers recessed about 1/2"
[img][/img]
New installed fingers recessed about 1/12"

Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
Sorry Ross my reply got messed up due to me still learning to post.

The clutch came from Mac's. Part # on DC also says it for my truck.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 AM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User

Notice how far away the throw out is from the fingers.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
I have heard of problems with Brand X imported clutch discs being too thick, which make the fingers withdraw way forward, but that looks really excessive. Is there any chance you put the disc in backwards? In any case, I don't see any alternative to pulling the trans back out to see what's up.

I have also not heard good things about the PP's with the non-adjustable fingers like that. I would return that clutch set if you can and buy a rebuilt set from Ft Wayne Clutch, https://fortwayneclutch.com/

Old 04-20-2019, 12:35 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
Disc is in correct. I notice the old PP does have adjustable fingers. I have pulled motor and tranny. I may put the old clutch in and see how it fits.

Thanks, I am near stummped

Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User

Old clutch

Old clutch Fingers are about 1/2" from throw out bearing
The old clutch and new clutch look the same on the bench, with the exception of the fingers on the old PP have adjustable bolts. When I installed the old PP the fingers do not recess as much as the new one did. I will try to find a PP with the adjustable finger bolts.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Is that with the old disc, too? How thick is the new disc?

Old 04-21-2019, 08:16 AM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
The old disc is installed as well. The old and new were very close in size.
Thank you for your help.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
How much travel in the pedal when you push it should you have to engage the clutch?

Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
The manual says an inch to 1- 1/2" pedal movement. That's after adjusting the linkage.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
grandaddy's52
Freshman User
Thank you Ross. I called Van Pelt today and his pressure plates are the same as what Mac's sells. We are sure the throw out and fork are correct. Still stumped why the fingers on the new pp go so far in when I tighten it to the flywheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.