1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Purchasing a new truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Brendon Griffin
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Purchasing a new truck

Hey, first post here, so thank you for any advice.

I am looking at a 1966 F100 on Craigslist. I’m currently a college student, so I don’t have a lot of money to dump into the truck all at one time, I’m hoping for more of a continued project. My question is this: what are the most important parts of the vehicle to replace/upgrade before making it a daily/weekly driver. I’m looking for safety, comfort, and cost efficiency.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
To me - brakes, fuel system, steering/ suspension. You can drive it while you slowly improve it. Get a copy of the factory shop manuals which are reproduced, then hang out here using the search function. Oh, and save every penney you can as you’ll soon have a long list of “needs” , but more costly are the “wants”.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
Depends on the current condition of the truck and what you're expecting from it. My truck is as it was originally with stock drum brakes, no power steering, etc. Every system has been rebuilt and functions as new and after 2+ yrs as my daily driver, I wouldn't "upgrade" anything. That's my opinion though. Your preferences, driving conditions may be different. How do you define comfort and cost efficient?

At the very least, get it running dependably, get it stopping as it should, and get it rolling and steering safely. Everything else is cosmetic and won't mean squat if you're broken down on the side of the road.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Brendon Griffin
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by AZSCAWPION
Depends on the current condition of the truck and what you're expecting from it. My truck is as it was originally with stock drum brakes, no power steering, etc. Every system has been rebuilt and functions as new and after 2+ yrs as my daily driver, I wouldn't "upgrade" anything. That's my opinion though. Your preferences, driving conditions may be different. How do you define comfort and cost efficient?

At the very least, get it running dependably, get it stopping as it should, and get it rolling and steering safely. Everything else is cosmetic and won't mean squat if you're broken down on the side of the road.
Here is the listing for the truck,
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...855535793.htmlFrom what I’ve seen, it seems like a solid truck, as far as comfort, I just want something that is not a beast to drive. Do people notice a big difference between the quality of disc or drum brakes, is that worth doing an upgrade on?

Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

What AZSCAWPION said.

The truck as it came from the factory is satisfactory to me, I like things pretty much stock. Nothing on these trucks really demands “upgrading”, as I see it. Keeping it stock also happens to be more cost-effective/thrifty, overall. Notice I did not say cheap.

Some people, however, who have a fatter wallet or just like to do things up to the max spend lots of time, money, effort improving (?) things. To me, for that I will drive my newer vehicles. I like the total experience of driving a vintage truck - warts and all.

Do everything safety-related first.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Brendon Griffin
Here is the listing for the truck,
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...855535793.htmlFrom what I’ve seen, it seems like a solid truck, as far as comfort, I just want something that is not a beast to drive. Do people notice a big difference between the quality of disc or drum brakes, is that worth doing an upgrade on?
Everyone's opinion of these trucks are different. To me, my truck is a pleasure to drive. Took it on a 50+mile road trip this past weekend over Mingus Mountain. Endless switch backs and hair pin turns and had a blast. Most fun I've had ever taking this route. On the other hand, my wife wouldn't drive my truck on a straight road even if held at gunpoint.

Best advice I can give is to be 100% honest with yourself. What are your skills? Are you looking to learn or are you experienced in auto repairs? Are you willing/capable of tearing into the brake system and rebuilding everything from MC to drum? Do you have a backup car for when repairs take longer than a few days? Are you willing to spend twice what your budget is to get this thing finished? How long before you get to the point where you hate the truck 'cause it's not done yet and just plain sucks to drive, or rather will you decide to tear it apart right from the get go and a year from now try to sell a bunch of parts?

Only you can answer those questions, but I will add this-If any of your answers are doubtful, I'd walk from this one. That truck needs a lot of work. If this is your first project, you're likely to get discouraged quickly and your dream can become your nightmare.

I don't know what is available in your area, but IMHO, I would pass on this one. Take your time looking for a better candidate (I searched for about a year for mine). Look for something more complete/original. Not someone else's headaches. Cheaper ain't always better, and usually cost you more in the end.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:08 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

After looking at the truck - gotta again agree with AZ .

First cost is not the only cost. You are not far from either Arizona or Cali, and for about 5-6k, you could get one miles ahead of the one in the ad. I know you want one now, but I’d save up. You could drop 6 k into that one in a hurry, and never even know where it went.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Brendon Griffin
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
After looking at the truck - gotta again agree with AZ .

First cost is not the only cost. You are not far from either Arizona or Cali, and for about 5-6k, you could get one miles ahead of the one in the ad. I know you want one now, but I’d save up. You could drop 6 k into that one in a hurry, and never even know where it went.
Pardon my probable cluelessness, but what about that truck makes it a much bigger project then something else. Am I looking for something that runs and drives, or how can I tell whether it is a good deal or a money pit.

I currently have a car that I can use as my daily driver, so having the truck apart in the garage for days or weeks is not that big of a deal. I’m also not expecting to finish this truck this year, or even in the next couple years. I’m taking an Automotive Service degree and so I’ve been looking for something that I can work on in my spare time that might also give me more experience towards my degree.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
From your original post, my impression was that you were looking for something to be your daily driver as you continued to work on it.
What are your plans for the truck? Original or custom/rat rod or??

Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Cheddar
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2¢, what is your cash on hand and final budget for the truck to be roadable? The price is very good if all those things have been done, if you can go and see it run and most important have time to do the work. If you have the summer off and a two to three grand, tools (torches and welders can be key), some skills and some help if you need it and you don't mind dirty old trucks then go for it. My second summer home from college in 1976 I bought a 1955 F-100 and put a 327 Chevy with a muncie four speed out of a camero my friend wrecked in place of the dead six cylinder. Had to make the cross members etc, I had access to a metal shop so I don't think I spent that much I. It took months and I enjoyed that truck for many years, I never got it out of primer, it was never "cherry" but I loved it.

AZ is on the money regarding the basics, I'd keep it stock and fix all the important stuff, I got new wheel cylinders, master cylinder repair kit, shoes, hardware kits (springs retainers etc, $5. per pair, worth it in gold) and new brake line for like $150.
Also if you did end up making it real nice it would be worth more dead stock.

If you have any hesitation regarding what it takes, think twice, if you save money and wait ibuzzard is right that they pop up out there in all sorts of conditions, I saw some nice old dodges that were driving and would've taken much work for mid $3Ks.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The truck is listed as a "project", wiring issues, and needs to be towed would be of major concern for me. In addition, looking at the pic's and description I would be concerned about some serious rust issuesI I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical repairs; i.e., brakes, engine tune-ups, transmission components, and basic body repair but when it comes to welding and refabricating sheet metal I do not have a clue. Anyhow, had an urge to chime in.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Cheddar
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh it sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Your plans and time frame sound reasonable. I think the price is good, you couldn't buy the parts for that so if that year and body style float your boat then I say go for it!
And have some fun! (and frustration, skinned knuckles, rust in your eyes and all the rest of it ha ha)

Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Brendon Griffin
Cross-Country
I might have been confusing.

I am wanting to get a truck that would be a project for the next few years. I do not need a daily driver truck, I want something that I can work on in my spare time that could also be drivable for pleasure in the mean time. If that makes sense

Old 04-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Brendon Griffin
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by daveengelson
The truck is listed as a 'project, wiring issues, and needs to be towed would be of major concern for me. In addition, looking at the pic's and description I would be concerned about some serious rust issuesI I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical repairs; i.e., brakes, engine tune-ups, transmission components, and basic body repair but when it comes to welding and refabricating sheet metal I do not have a clue. Anyhow, had an urge to chime in.
If the truck was able to start and run, do you think it becomes a more practical project? Also, the seller claims the transmission and rear-end have both been “rebuilt”. Are receipts and repair orders suffice for evidence, or should I take it as a grain of salt?

Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Brendon Griffin
I might have been confusing.

I am wanting to get a truck that would be a project for the next few years. I do not need a daily driver truck, I want something that I can work on in my spare time that could also be drivable for pleasure in the mean time. If that makes sense
So, again. Stock/original, custom/rat rod or?? Answering these questions can determine if it's either worth it or a money pit.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a new truck