1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Weight of longbed Styleside

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM
rexblue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight of longbed Styleside

Hi. Can anyone say approximately how much the bed to my longbed Styleside F100 weighs?. I'm gonna pull it tomorrow and I need to know how big of a breakfast to eat.
Thanks
rx

Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
What is your plan? I removed mine with the help of my 2 teenage sons. Awkward with only 3 of us, but not difficult. Couldn't tell you how much it weighs, but surprisingly not nearly as heavy as I was expecting.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Cheddar
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to this its about 3325lbs

good info: https://www.blueovaltech.com/history...ord-trucks.php

Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Cheddar
Tuned
oops sorry, the bed doesn't weight that much, I was reading too fast! Geeez, I have to take mine off too and was wondering the same thing.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Cheddar
Tuned
aha, in that chart it says the 3/4 ton cab and chassis is 3110 and the styleside is 3570, wow making it about 460lbs can that be right? that sounds heavy.
the figures for the short bed make it 375, if that's right AZ you guys are macho

Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheddar
aha, in that chart it says the 3/4 ton cab and chassis is 3110 and the styleside is 3570, wow making it about 460lbs can that be right? that sounds heavy.
the figures for the short bed make it 375, if that's right AZ you guys are macho
I seem to remember someone saying high 400lbs so you're probably not too far off. Minus the tailgate and tool boxes, should be considerably lighter. Now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have yelled at the kids for complaining it was heavy. Naah, gotta make men out of 'em sooner or later. Besides, we've lifted a VW off its chassis a bunch of times. Way lighter than that.

I've seen others do it with an engine lift and even removing rear wheels and blocking it up, then rolling truck out from under. Either way, rexblue has options with or without help.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Cheddar
Tuned
Ha ha, yup, make em work, they'll be the better for it. My kids are long gone. Good to know its manageable, I lifted one end and it was pretty heavy a fair amount of metal there.

I'll check out rexblue thanks

I am not intimidated by it, I have a bucket loader/backhoe and straps and boards, engine hoists and jacks and whatnot and do everything myself so I can do it how and when I want that's part of the fun.

I am not in the habit of taking pictures but I am going to try to chronicle the project as I go, stay tuned ha ha

Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cheddar - since you have all the gear, it can be a one person job!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM
rexblue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I wish my bed looked as nice as yours Cheddar. I'm gonna need to fab up a new 2' longer extension piece for my cherry picker engine hoist. I'll just pick the bed up and drive the truck out from under it. My goal is to roll the bed up on it's side on a pair of furniture dollies- that way I can roll it out side to power wash it. After I finish the brakes and clutch on the truck and clean and paint the back half of the frame, I'll temporarily reinstall the bed for it's trip to the sandblaster's and welder's, after which I'll bring it home to finish the bodywork and blow on a bunch of primer. After I remount it again- not for the last time though- I'll pull the cab and trailer it to a shop for some more welding as I'm able to afford the time and money toward this project.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 PM
53deere
Fleet Mechanic
Received 281 Likes on 198 Posts
In the past I've used four guys, an engine hoist, etc., but a year ago I made this out of scrap I had laying around. Used it to pull the bed and cab without them swinging around. I wanted something I could use by myself without worry of the sheetmetal getting scratched or banged up in the process.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Cheddar
Tuned
That one isn't mine, this one is mine, my bed is shot, and I don't like the alternative of cutting one out of something else, I am inclined to do my bed with red oak boards with stainless strips, I will be using it for daily driving and work around the homestead. I will be pulling the cab off soon for welding two floor holes and for cleaning/priming/painting the frame with 100% new brakes, master cylinder rebuild, new copper/nickel lines, new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs etc, and all three Ebrake cables, new shocks, degrease all the running gear, new u-joints, drag link, rewire it all, then the body goes back on and paint and glass and go! You know a couple weeks Ah ha ha ha ha, we can dream can't we…

Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Ed, I hadn't seen many pics of your truck front end before these, but just FYI - someone has swapped out both front fenders. The 1965 F100/250 4x4 would have all come with the wide opening fenders. That would be a cool touch to add back as you do your frame off.

Chad

Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Cheddar
Tuned
Chad,
That is interesting as the left front fender sure doesn't look like its ever been off, its got rot on the header panel that matches the fender and fenderwell that seems like it all happened together and wouldn't have been able to be taken apart a long time ago. But you have some knowledge I don't about these rigs so it most likely was changed at some point, at least it has the emblem (which the insert of is clear/faded, requires some forensics to see if I can see any numbers). The right fender was definitely changed out. I am finding skim coats of bondo over small dents that were done when they painted it all yellow. This truck was a real working farm truck and has had a couple big events at least. I found that the frame is slightly bent down in the left rear corner, bizarre, the bend point is exactly over the axle, the frame is bulged ever so slightly to accommodate it as it still runs straight horizontally, I am going to try to bend it back a little, it may straighten right out. It was this way when they did the fender and painted it as they cobbed the bumper and body to look level. The other one is that something was dropped on the hood, It took out the windshield and put a crease across the back of the hood while the impact was absorbed by the hinge brace and it is bent out. Since its the original (well at least I can tell it was white like it was supposed to be) and really only has the one crease that, as I have seen can be amazingly straightened out with some patience, I am gong to drill out the spot welds of the hinge brace and see if I can't get it back straight enough to fit in the adjustment zone of the hinge assemblies. So those fenders on your truck are the stock big opening? I can't afford fenders right now but it looks like I may be upgrading this periodically as I have it. This is to be the 100% operational and reliable homestead truck along side the 55 F-750 dumper, I'd like them to be semi showable as working antiques as I have a history of mechanics body and paint since I was a kid but not too fancy. The 750 has been sitting for three years since the bendix went and I haven't needed it, negligence, but it is slated for rejuvenation shortly after this truck is operational. Thanks for the info!

Ed

Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Here's the info from Ford on the applications for the fender opening sizes. Yes, both of my 1966 F250 4x4 trucks have the 45" opening fenders. They all came with them, too.

Chad

Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Cheddar
Tuned
An item(s) for my swap meet, scrounging list until I get rich… ha
thanks

Quick Reply: Weight of longbed Styleside