1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 06 6.0! Good first upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:12 AM
kaczgune
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying 06 6.0! Good first upgrades?

Buying my first powerstroke and truck soon! Just waiting on seller to get replacement title but already have a contact and a very small down payment to secure the purchase!

06 6.0 with 219K Miles. Truck was a fleet/company vehicle and has always been serviced at Ford! Has had bulletproofing done at Ford. Headstuds and EGR delete where my main concern which seller confirmed was done.

Body wise the truck isn’t the best, but mechanically it’s solid. Planning to do a flat bed (home made) to replace the bed which isn’t the best looking. Plans for the truck is basically something I can do some hauling here and there, few times a year, mostly girlfriends horses. 4K load roughly. Maybe some vehicles if I expand my electronics business into flipping a few vehicles. But mostly a toy and something to **** around with. Want it to be off road capable, but also not a hassle on the street.

- Bulletproof
- AM Exhaust (not sure on details)
- Does have LSD not open diff already

I really don’t want to have to stick money into it if I **** the engine or tranny up. I have a very reliable daily driver car. I know these trucks can be very responsive to tunes, and they’re one of the most effective ways to get some performance! If I run an SCT tuner on the 2 level, I believe it’s a 65HP gain. Do I need to be concerned about jeopardizing the drivetrains reliability with that?

Whats some other good mods? I’d love power adders, but don’t want to risk damage. I have no issues doing upgrades to help the truck safely handle the power.

Good off-road mods? Looking at a doing a 2.5 or 4.5 RC lift. I don’t want to lose to many MPG by tossing huge off-road tires. What’s a good all around tire maybe 33-35”?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kaczgune
Has had bulletproofing done at Ford. Headstuds and EGR delete where my main concern which seller confirmed was done.
Did you actually look yourself to confirm that these things were done? Just because the seller told you what you want to hear doesn't make it true. I highly doubt that these things were done at a Ford dealer. No Ford dealer I know of is going to mess with the emissions system.

There are a number of things you really need to check before purchasing a 6.0. You need a way to monitor engine data while taking the truck for a drive. One of the biggest concerns is the difference between coolant and oil temp while you're driving. I won't get too much into specifics because there are people here who are much more knowledgeable on the 6.0 than me. I'd probably recommend that a mod move this thread to the 6.0 forum, you will probably get more help there than in the general Super Duty forum.

The best off road mod you can make to a Super Duty is a trailer with a Jeep or some ATVs on it.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Best first upgrade? Trade it for a 6.7...

Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 AM
ZackV54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaczgune
06 6.0 with 219K Miles. Truck was a fleet/company vehicle and has always been serviced at Ford! Has had bulletproofing done at Ford. Headstuds and EGR delete where my main concern which seller confirmed was done.

Plans for the truck is basically something I can do some hauling here and there, few times a year, mostly girlfriends horses. 4K load roughly. Maybe some vehicles if I expand my electronics business into flipping a few vehicles. But mostly a toy and something to **** around with. Want it to be off road capable, but also not a hassle on the street.

I know these trucks can be very responsive to tunes, and they’re one of the most effective ways to get some performance! If I run an SCT tuner on the 2 level, I believe it’s a 65HP gain. Do I need to be concerned about jeopardizing the drivetrains reliability with that?

Whats some other good mods? I’d love power adders, but don’t want to risk damage. I have no issues doing upgrades to help the truck safely handle the power.
Install a coolant filter kit, probably swap the air intake (just for easier serviceability), and I would use WPE for a tune. Can tunes are ok, but not ideal IMO. If you want real ease of mind on it, I’d do injectors, glowplugs, glowplug harness, updated dummy plugs and standpipes if not already done, and a blue spring upgrade. Also, put the 6.4 starter in it and cranking will never be an issue.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
There is no industry standard definition of "bulletproofing" a 6.0L PSD, so try to get a list of exactly what was done to the engine, when it was done and what mileage when it was done. An exact list of the parts used would be helpful too.

Oh, just because it was "done by Ford" you shouldn't be impressed. There are as many clowns in Ford service departments as there are good technicians.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Watch powerstrokehelp 6.0 videos