Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4r100 in short bus OSS issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Following, this is an interesting subject. I'd also wouldn't forget what Mark mentioned on the ground wire at the PCM. I didn't know that was how it worked in 4 wheel low.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Josh Cham
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both TSS and OSS on this new trans have been replaced with new. They're identical between 2wd and 4wd, so are the reluctor rings. We junked the old trans weeks ago, I wish we didnt so I could look at it more or do some testing, but the OSS was the same as this one. The ones with the gear stick out straight, it definitely didnt have that on it.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Then I'm at a loss to explain why you would get 5 or 6 times more "speed" from the new tranny. As far as I understand it, the PCM in an E-series gets the road-speed from the OSS. Since the OSS sensor and reluctor seem to be the same between the E and F series, this doesn't make any sense.

Something else was added to the mix. Now you just have to find what

Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Might want to ask the same question here:

4x4 - Sportsmobile Forum

Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Josh Cham
New User
Vss and oss have both had jumper wires to their respective grounds straight to chassis. No change. Still reading way high on the speedo.

Disconnected OSS and ran wires back to the RABS, reading off the diff and it STILL reads way high. Which confirms that the speedometer does in fact read off the OSS plug on this. The ABS light came on during this test, because the RABS plug was unhooked, because it was reading on the OSS plug.

We're at wits end here, it's going to get a standalone controller, or a 6 speed if we cant figure it out shortly!

Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't know a lot about this stuff but I saw lots of references to the transmission speed sensor, being 4wd the speed sensor should be in the output of the transfer case, not the transmission.

As for it using that or the one on the diff for the speedo, my '99 F-350 4x4 V-10 used the one on the t-case.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Josh Cham
New User
Update!

After a lot of research, the early 99 4r100 used the 2wd tailhousing from an e40od. That used the gear driven VSS with the exact same plug as the hall effect sensor on the newer 4r100s. Instead of seeing an 8000ppm reading from the reluctor wheel (which happens to still be on a 4r100 output shaft of my year but isnt used) it reads the gear driven sensor rotation, which is down around 2600ppm.

We're locating a 00 PCM from a 2wd e350 hoping the pinouts are the same (as they read the hall effect reluctor ring). If this doesnt solve the issue I'll be grinding 2 teeth off after every 1 tooth from the reluctor wheel to bring us to that ratio. A 4r100 has 18 teeth on the wheel. Leaving 1 then grinding off 2, will leave a total of 6 teeth. Which will bring us down to EXACTLY the ratio our speedometer is off.

If all else fails, we will swap out the tcase to a manual shift 1356 transfer case from a pre 1991 bronco which uses that gear driven sensor and plug, and remake drive lines to fit.

Hopefully someone can confirm my month of research and headaches!

Old 05-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Josh_Cham: I believe you are correct. That is why my Salem-Kroeger 4x4 converter installed a BW1356 transfer case in my van with a slip yoke out the back of the transfer case -- which leaks.

A more elegant solution is to use an electrical product used and sold by Chris at Ujointoffroad.com or Michael at Expovans.com when they convert vans to 4x4 eliminating the 2wd rpm output sender.

This is what Chris says:

"Q. What do I do about a transfer case?
A. I recommend to have your transmission removed to have the output shaft & tailhousing replaced with 4x4 truck parts on all E4OD, 4R100 and 4R75 transmissions. We offer a kit for the 5R110 transmission, it doesn't have to be removed. We use the NV271 transfer case and we sell rebuilt units if you don't want to source one locally."

Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Josh Cham
New User
I emailed Chris at Ujoint a month or so ago and he never replied to me, frustrating, but it does say right on his site "we dont support home brew kits."

I'll keep this updated as we iron the wrinkles out finally. This seems to be the ONLY thread on the internet that adresses this issue! (Which we so obviously overlooked the first go around haha)

Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Okay.

This issue has been addressed multiple times in the Sportsmobile 4x4 forum.

So ask in this thread:

MG Metal Works DIY kit knowledge share - Sportsmobile Forum

Or better yet start your own thread in this forum:

4x4 - Sportsmobile Forum

Old 06-04-2020, 07:22 PM
vintagespeed
New User
(late to the party i knw...)

i'm assuming you've already fixed the problem by removing teeth from the wheel. but a solution to your problem is the Dakota Digital SGI-5E signal convertor (~$100 amazon). plug in your OSS output from the newer trans (calculate your ppm based on tire size and rear gear ratio) either H-L or L-L, and connect up the VSS input from the output of the convertor. you can reduce the output any number of percentage and your speedo/ecm and cc will get the right 8k/ppm VSS signal that is required.

i'm running one in my V10 powered '70 F100 with TR3650 5speed and 8.8 rear, works great for driving digital dash right on the money and VSS input to the '01 ECM works as expected.

Last edited by vintagespeed; 06-04-2020 at 07:23 PM. Reason: price
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM
DeskDrawer
Cross-Country
Hey Josh Cam - did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem - swapped a truck 4R100 into my van and it won't shift into 2nd w/o bucking and almost stalling. Thread here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19546686

Old 05-05-2021, 05:45 PM
steve617
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4R100 swapped in bus

Hi I have a short bus E-350 in which I swapped the 4r100 2wd for a 4wd that came out of 99 F-350. First problem was what was spoken in this thread, old tranny had a mechanical sensor and the new on has an electronic sensor. So We installed a Dakota SGI-100BT and it worked but the od light is off until I drive and the tranny goes to shift in 3rd..It revs fairly high as if having a late shift and it shifts fairly hard on that gear.I have no problem driving fast. Now at the 40km/h is when it seems to shift into 3rd.If I try to keep at 40km/h the engine will be sluggish as if the tranny doesn't know which gear to be in.So I changed the output sensor on top of the tranny and still same od light flashing but does drive a bit better, but still not perfect and still get that around 40km/h.Now I understand this might be caused by the shift selenoid? Any other thoughts?

Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
No, it's not caused by the shift solenoid.

I could guess at this and have you spend a bunch of money changing parts. Eventually we will find the one causing the problem. But if you were to get the codes read we would KNOW where the problem is and where to start looking.

To read the codes you can download Forscan free at www.forscan.org. They have an article on how to select the OBDII adapter that you'll need. I bought mine from Amazon for less than $30. Or you could take it to a good independent shop or a Ford dealer to get them read. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:41 PM
DeskDrawer
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by steve617
Hi I have a short bus E-350 in which I swapped the 4r100 2wd for a 4wd that came out of 99 F-350. First problem was what was spoken in this thread, old tranny had a mechanical sensor and the new on has an electronic sensor. So We installed a Dakota SGI-100BT and it worked but the od light is off until I drive and the tranny goes to shift in 3rd..It revs fairly high as if having a late shift and it shifts fairly hard on that gear.I have no problem driving fast. Now at the 40km/h is when it seems to shift into 3rd.If I try to keep at 40km/h the engine will be sluggish as if the tranny doesn't know which gear to be in.So I changed the output sensor on top of the tranny and still same od light flashing but does drive a bit better, but still not perfect and still get that around 40km/h.Now I understand this might be caused by the shift selenoid? Any other thoughts?
I tried the SGI-100BT device when I swapped a truck's 2wd 4R100 into my bus. The SGI unit didnt work for me so I wen't a separate route and modified the tailshaft housing to accommodate the old / original gear-driven sensor. But I gave it some more thought afterwards and looked at the wiring diagram for my bus. From what can I remember, the VSS signal gets split somewhere so maybe try relocating the SGI device closer to the sensor to ensure that the SGI device is re-interpreting the signal before the signal split occurs.

FWIW: here is my original thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19582558

Quick Reply: 4r100 in short bus OSS issues