Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more light!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am torn between these two lights. I have emailed the manufacture, but have not gotten a response yet.

Just trying to figure out which one is brighter.

JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright

Or

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W

One of the questions I asked the MFG as well.
"From the reading I have done they put out a lower light level for standard illumination, but get brighter for brake service. What is the output when using them for reverse lights?"

I will keep everyone in the loop if they respond.
I sent the email last Friday, so I am not really expecting much of a response...

Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM
CamoF-250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My LED brake light strip actually puts out a little too much light in reverse and works well for my grandpa and me. Mine reflects light upwards back off my closed tailgate at my review mirror and makes it almost useless. Plus extra warning that your stopping and turning is all ways good for the texting civic tailgating you. I think outs are ambrothers, my only complaint is that I would spring for a stiffer strip at this point, hard not to get a little wave to them when installing it. I need to consider painting the bottom lip of my tailgate with a very matte black paint before putting it back on.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
needshave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
I am torn between these two lights. I have emailed the manufacture, but have not gotten a response yet.

Just trying to figure out which one is brighter.

JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright

Or

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W

One of the questions I asked the MFG as well.
"From the reading I have done they put out a lower light level for standard illumination, but get brighter for brake service. What is the output when using them for reverse lights?"

I will keep everyone in the loop if they respond.
I sent the email last Friday, so I am not really expecting much of a response...
That's an interesting question. I have had pretty good look asking questions when on the Amazon Web Page. I think that might be monitored by Amazon. So hopefully you will hear from them. I would appreciate hearing their response. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:38 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
I've been planning to do something like these on my F150 since I got it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I received a pretty good response from them today. I found it interesting (in a good way) that they recommended the more inexpensive product.
They didn't answer the question about the different power levels, but I'm good with the response.

Hello Rich,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for the delay in response time. Below, we included the advantage for both 144 EX and 50W LED bulbs. For purchases on Amazon, we offer more economic options to compete with competitors. On our direct website, we only offer premium style bulbs.

144 EX
-Unrivaled light disbursement with 144 EX chips per bulb.
-Strong intensity with 1200 lm per bulb.
-Designed to be plug & play for most vehicles applications.
-Standard aluminum core for heat dissipation.
-Projector lens to help penetrate through lens and provide focus on the road.
-Uses a 6000K color temperature for a crisp white effect.
-Full 360 degree shine similar to the factory bulb.

Max 50W
-Guaranteed performance. Equipped with 10 5W high power chips with a high heat threshold.
-Reliable cooling. Offers an anodized aluminum housing of aviation grade. Higher density aluminum allows more heat radiation.
-360°light disbursement. Offers 4 sides where light is emitted from with reflective bowl around each diode for optimal light disbursement.
-High Efficiency. Has a built-in constant current IC driver. Regulates power and maintains steady current and temperature with power being provided.
-Power and performance. Rated to provide up to 1200 lumens in a xenon white color temperature.
-Simple Installation. Designed to be plug & play for most vehicles applications.

Between the two options, we recommend going with the 144-EX due to the LED bulbs having the 360° light disbursement.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Which ever you go with,those style bulbs work a heck of a lot better for back up lights than incandescent as far as light output. I like mine and have the higher mounted light that operates independently of the reverse lights if I need it or need more light for backing up. I also swapped out my tag lights for LEDs and they light up the area behind the truck well enough you can see the trailer hitch and not whack your shin on it

Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts
I put these in mine today, because mine bulbs looked black!? Then after removing old bulbs seen why...3157(brake/turn) 2 elements in reverse lights sockets...Good Grief! PAY ATTENTION! It ever stop raining and dark I'll update with seeing better/worse

wally world 6000k cool white $15

yes these were in reverse lights sockets, boneheads! 3157 brake/turn bulb (2 elements)

Old 05-02-2019, 12:48 AM
eagle275
More Turbo
I put these on my 96 F350 in the rear, they will light it up. Great when pulling a boat out of the water or for pulling a camper or having a party inn the woods. Lol!

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 AM
CamoF-250
Elder User
Originally Posted by torq'ta 5 8
I put these in mine today, because mine bulbs looked black!? Then after removing old bulbs seen why...3157(brake/turn) 2 elements in reverse lights sockets...Good Grief! PAY ATTENTION! It ever stop raining and dark I'll update with seeing better/worse

wally world 6000k cool white $15

yes these were in reverse lights sockets, boneheads! 3157 brake/turn bulb (2 elements)
No time to read through everything here. Do LEDs in place of the reverse bulb affect flash rate. I am rereading brake/turn right this second, so I think I answered my own question with no but... Submit Reply

Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
leds in reverse/back-up, made a good bit of dfference over the wrong bulb(3157 brake/turn bulb) and no ill effects on brake/turn signal operation, I like the leds, now I can see 10' behind me, when before I barely could see receiver hitch on truck, and now if I back into driveway, I can turn off the solar power sidewalk lights, lol!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:29 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
now if I back into driveway, I can turn off the solar power sidewalk lights, lol!
That's some good stuff right there

Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
update w/?

after getting LED reverse bulbs in and checking light distribution, I noticed a tag light out, so I got LED 194 tag bulbs, and ran into issue, one bulb came on, one bulb didnt? I checked for 12vdc (good), checked socket (good), ? put bulb back in, still not on? on whem I pulled bulb rotated 180* and its on now!? So I marked socket and bulb with sharpie to see pics below, so then I also took one reverse bulb out(bulb on) and rotated it 180* (bulb(not on) rotated it back (bulb on)? Has anyone noticed this, or just got lucky and plugged bulb in right first time, I got murphy breathing down my neck...always

these are what I got for tag

says may require load equalizer for normal operation

bulb on, sharpie marks line up

bulb not on, sharpie marks not lined up

Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Has anyone noticed this, or just got lucky and plugged bulb in right first time, I got murphy breathing down my neck...always
Yes, they are polarity sensitive.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
I understand they are LED(light emitting diode) but nothing in instructions says which leg goes to positive, they don't show polarity on my diode check on meter, just luck if you put in right or wrong?
instructions dont say pull and turn 180*, I wonder if this could be some of the other post guy with brake/turn LED issue?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM
bigredtruck
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, diodes by nature only let current flow through in one direction. So they have a positive and negative terminal that need to correspond to the socket’s wiring.

Quick Reply: Need more light!