General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Let's hear your engine build/repair mistakes/goofs/screw ups..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:36 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's hear your engine build/repair mistakes/goofs/screw ups..

I saw a similar thread on another website and found it entertaining. I thought I might share my recent one. I was doing some work aligning tdc on my engine when I popped the distributor cap off to check the rotor was pointing at number 1 the little clip that held the cap on (must mention it previously broke but was able to work properly just wasn't affixed to the base as it should have been) when I took the cap off the clip fell to the ground no problem I saw exactly where it fell in the grass so I drop a tool down next to the oil filter so when I get under the truck I will have a reference point to start looking, great idea huh? Well it was for about half a second as the first time I felt the ground where the clip had fell, was a small hole we call them crawl deads I guess the proper term is crawfish hole. What are the odds of that. Needless to say I had to buy a new cap base no big deal used a rubber band until the next morning to hold the cap on. Oh well simple and silly, surely someone can top that one, later

Old 10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I was about sixteen - my first clutch replacement - I installed it backwards - the disc that is. Made a horrible noise when I started the engine. Had no idea what it was until my Dad came home and suggested the possibilities.

A few years later - bought a clunker of a truck. It had a 390 with a 4 barrel carb. I took off the carb, cleaned it and installed it backwards!!! It bolted right up, but when I went to hook-up my linkage...well, you can imagine.

Another childish thing, but I was about 21 at the time, I filled my master cylinder with power steering fluid. UGH! It ruined all the wheel cylinders along with the master.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was 1977, was putting the finishing touches on my Dodge 383, rebuilt and tricked out engine. almost ready to button it up, and I blinked.

Too bad I wore hard contacts at the time. Too bad one of them picked that blink to pop out and drop down into the lifter gallery and down thru the oil return slots and make it's way down into the crankcase.

Had to take of the pan and scroung around for it.

I have far too many other goofs to go thru, but this one was a good one.

Jim Henderson

Old 10-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
so i bet you put that contact right back in huh? haha, just kidding

Old 10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
My truck jumped time not too long ago, and it was sitting on an exit ramp- she had jumped 3 teeth and was still running at 2500, but wouldnt idle to save my life. So the next day, my dad brings his truck up there and I tear down the front of the motor, and see the old plastic gear chewed up, slide my new gears on, line it up and button everything back up. Crank her up, first try- "VVrrroomm....bla...bla..." Alright!!! i thought! i did it right!! then she died. No fuel. Had to tear the motor down and put the fuel pump eccentric on. It was much easier the second time around!

Old 10-02-2003, 11:42 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted 9-23;

Brain Fart or Trip to Egypt?
I did the dumbest thing yesterday. I was flying through the fluid and filter change of my 4R100 and had just added the 3rd gallon of new fluid when I realized that the new filter was sitting in my other van. Yes, I had buttoned up the pan WITHOUT putting the new filter in! Needless to say I was pissed. Now had I done this while enjoying a few sixers or yaking with friends maybe I could have accepted the situation. No I was stone cold sober and all alone. Down came the pan out came the fluid. I recovered all but about 1 1/2 qts that ended up on the floor. Oh, by the way, I only spilled about a cup getting the old fluid out. In went the new filter. On went the pan. Wait a minute the pan won't go on. What the H***? It seems that the pickup tube on the new filter was an inch longer than on the old filter. OK the filter housing is plastic and I have a hacksaw. Problem solved. Pan goes on, fluid goes in, everything works right. Did I say everything? I'm still wondering about my brain. Did I just have a Brain Fart or did I Visit Egypt? You know, See Nile.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Hope Springs Hauler
Senior User
Worst mistake I ever made was letting an acquaintance of mine help me put the valvetrain of a 5.0 back together. When we started it up I heard the awfulest clankin and pinging from the side of the engine that he worked on. Turns out that he didn't put the pushrods back in straight before torquing the rockers. What a dip.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:54 PM
66MercMan
Senior User
First one that comes to mind....
Getting my 460 to tdc and while turning it over with a socket and breaker bar I hear a pop. I had forgot that I had been using the uncapped distributor as a bolt tray. Luckily I was able to replace the armature or reluctor (whatever it's called) and didn't need to buy a new dizzy.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:52 PM
tellico racing
Posting Guru
I replaced the calipers on my 98 last spring, and couldn't get them to bleed out..............I had them on the wrong side, so the bleeder screw was at the bottom......stupid LOL

Old 10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was about 17 or 18 and was helping my dad change motor mounts on his 78 CJ7 304. We had the engine jacked up with a bottle jack and had the old mounts out. For what ever reason, I decided to push a little bit on the wheels. Sure enough the Jeep rolled a few inches. The jack fell out and the engine dropped down. The fan blade sliced through the lower radiator hose soaking me with green slimey coolant.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:46 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
I can't remember what I was drilling a hole for on a tractor but I didn't think about what was under the plate I was going through. Drill bit went through and then the plate which was hinged at one side blew open. Turns out I have hit a high pressure hydraulic line while the blade was still in the air. I was covered in fluid.

"The best school is experience, but the fees are just so darn high"

Old 10-03-2003, 12:23 PM
de0806
New User
Put brake on the rear of wife tauruas after tearing up a good c-clamp and a couple of hours later . Got on the internet and Opps the pistons screw in. Ever use one of those cheap box tool things to screw piston back in????? they dont work too good

Old 10-03-2003, 08:19 PM
2Wise4aGM
Senior User
2 that I can remember.-
My first engine overhaul- 85 bronco II. Put the engine back in and forgot to install the rear main seal. Fired right up, but made a big mess.

Drilling holes in the bed of my old 90 to install a 5th wheel plate. Measured wrong and drilled a hole right through the gas tank.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:31 PM
towboat
Senior User
Years ago I built a 302 Ford and after installing the engine in the vehicle I'm installing the distributor, well I get it 1 tooth off so I pulled it back out and heard a clunk from the oil pan. Yep when I installed the oil pump I put it's drive shaft in upside down, the ring that keeps the shaft from pulling out of the oil pump when the distributor is removed was on the wrong end. I pulled the engine back out, pulled the oil pan and oil pump to do it right.

Someone else suggested I leave that shaft in the pan, trim the ring off of a new shaft, RTV/glue it to the bottom of the distributor to keep it in place while installing dist, install it and let it ride instead of pulling the engine again. No way.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:57 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Great stories, keep'em coming. Later

Quick Reply: Let's hear your engine build/repair mistakes/goofs/screw ups..