Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 F150 4x4 Coyote Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:20 AM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F150 4x4 Coyote Swap

Goin to pick up the drivetrain and stuff for my swap in the next couple of weeks out of a 2017 f150 with 20k miles.

Truck currently has 5.8L with 6 liter mod 1.7 rockers CAI it has 350,000 miles and it gets 100-150 miles to a tank depending on the week and goes through 1+ gallon of oil a week whether i drive it or dont.....It chatters and rattles and has a very distinct knock occasionally that comes and goes as pleases....not rod knock but maybe crank bearing? So its time for a new heart transplant.

5.0 coyote
6r80 trans
Tcase
Steering column
Instrument cluster
Complete wiring harness...May or may not thin out the harness.....all unused wiring may end up just getting wrapped up and tucked outta sight outta mind.
Complete dash with center console and floor shift Can someone measure there 15+ dash width for me so i can compare with mine? If i do get the newer dash in without pulling all my hair out ill need help figuring out how to control my ac/heater box with the newer controls.....what all on the 95 is vacuum and whats electric?
Door panels to experiment with.

Also plan on goin with

Long tube headers...Mustang gt headers will work and are dirt cheap on ebay.
True duals dumping infront of rear tires... Idk whether to go with 2.5 or 3inch exhaust? Also H-pipe or X-Pipe? I believe the mustangs run 2.75 from the factory..
Custom tune 87 tow/economy....87 performance 92 performance or e85 performance....Any one know of e85 stations in panama city fl or tallahassee fl or dothan al and surrounding areas?
Pats delete cause pats is gargbage.
33 gallon rear tank...Ill need help on modifying a sending unit to read accurate in the deeper tank.
Raptor wheel with paddle shifters....Not priority just eventually unless i get a steal on one.
Plan on using 2018 mustang gt lcd gauge cluster...It plugs in and powers up with the truck harness but thats all i know about it atm.other than its freaking gorgeous <3

I may go with mustang cams but im undecided yet as idk if they are much of an upgrade like they are on the 11-14 f150 motors. Im going to look into it tho as this is going to be my DD and i rarely tow anything other than a 16ft utility trailer with a couple mini dune buggys on it...Plus my 99 f150 4.6 has over 500,000 miles and ive hauled 5k pounds worth of batterys in the bed and 3-4k pounds of prepared steel multiple times over an hour to the scrap yard and towed a 8k pound truck on a 1.4k pound trailer once and if that gutless less than 200hp pos can do all that then the 5.0 will be able to haul/tow anything ill need it to.

Motor mounts will be from 96-04 mustang gt
04 Corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator combo
Current plan on power steering is 05-09 volvo s40/v50 electric power steering pump cause i aint spending 800 bucks on brackets/kit for a 4.6 pump...what a freaking joke lol

Any discussion on this would be great so i ant just talking to myself on here. Suggestions and questions welcome along with any tips etc.
Pics below are not mine but just showing what needs to be done to frame and crossmember to drop a coyote in.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:41 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Ambitious build! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, although I don't have any useful advice... the only motor swap I've done is an Integra LS motor into my old CRX

Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Da_Lariat_Chariot
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds ridiculous. But of you make it work we'll be mighty proud of you.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:17 PM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
Im super stoked about doin this and cant wait to get it done.....Hardest part i think will be getting the dash in....as i dont know the width of the newer dashs and they are alot deeper than ours so i know ill have to cut it down without making it look like ****....Ive seen 2 dash swaps done with the 11-14 dash...one in a 70s f100 and the other in a 80s f150 but no details of course lol other than the 80s they cut the firewall out of the 11-14 truck and transplanted it into the 80s truck which im not doin all that.

Next hard part is to find out if the mustang cluster will function on the f150 harness...I know it plugs in and powers on with some functionality but if it dont work fully then ill have no choice but to use the mustang dash harness and then ill have to have two sending units in the tank as the mustang uses one unit for fuel level and one unit for miles to empty from what i seen.....although i dont guess i need any readout other than fuel level honestly.

Also found out today that in order to do the mustang cam swap i need all 4 cams instead of just the intakes along with the cam phasers and then a tune to fix the firing order.....So if i find the right deal on the parts im gonna go ahead and do it while the motor is out cause i sure as hell aint doin it after its already in the truck. Im aiming for 4-450 whp and ive seen lots a videos where they make 500+ whp with E85 CAI headers and a tune so i can live with that..lol

Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Unless you swap the firewall out of the cab there is no chance of the dash fitting. Been there and doing it again on a 78 F250. Even worse is 2014 was the last year where the dashboard was a easy swap. The 2015+ dash is not a good fit and you have to rivet and body seam the aluminum firewall to the steel cab. You are much better off with a stand alone harness if you can't swap the entire dash. Also worth noting is you can't use the stock PCM without deep custom tuning because of the ABS/Advance track faults and the lack of EPAS. You also need a transfercase from a pre 2011 truck if you want a manual transfercase.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 PM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Unless you swap the firewall out of the cab there is no chance of the dash fitting. Been there and doing it again on a 78 F250. Even worse is 2014 was the last year where the dashboard was a easy swap. The 2015+ dash is not a good fit and you have to rivet and body seam the aluminum firewall to the steel cab. You are much better off with a stand alone harness if you can't swap the entire dash. Also worth noting is you can't use the stock PCM without deep custom tuning because of the ABS/Advance track faults and the lack of EPAS. You also need a transfercase from a pre 2011 truck if you want a manual transfercase.
Thank you for this input....its nice to actually hear input on something from someone thats actually had experience. If i have to use the fire wall i may just not worry about till later unless i had some pretty detailed pics on where to cut etc then i wouldnt be as opposed to doing it......The dashes i like are 80-87 How hard would that year range be? 88-03 dashes are pure disgusting then 04-10 are decent and 11-18 i like.....I really want to do a dash swap but its not a priority atm.

My truck currently has push button tcase so im goin to stick with a push button tcase as ive done kinda got spoiled by it. I can go with normal 2h/4h/4l or i can get the one that has the added awd option.

Id love to just get a control pack but im not paying 1200-2000+ for a handfull of wires and a black box just like im not paying 800 bucks for a powersteering kit that consist of a 4.6l ps pump and a couple of brackets.......Could i yes yes i could but i wont just outa principle of it all being a scam and priced like it is cause someone some where wont have any other option than to do it....I know im being bone headed and making things a little more difficult than they need to be but atleast ill admit it.

Im going to send the pcm off and have it redone specifically get the pats deleted and any other non essential stuff removed.....Once its in the truck and running/driving ill have it tuned by 5star or lund or vmp.or before if need be...either way what ever needs to be done will be done.....I can also send off the factory harness and have it thinned if i need to....or if i have time i may just thin it my self or may just tie and tuck all unused wiring/connectors.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 AM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Do you happen to have pics of the process with the 11-14 dash/firewall?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:35 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,441 Likes on 1,138 Posts
You could replace your worn out engine with a 351W based engine and get to your 400-450 goal and beyond. Swapping out almost everything except the sheet metal to get that engine doesn’t seem worth the trouble to me. Interested to see how this goes...

As a side note the dashboards changed with the body style so 80-86, 87-91, 92-96/7.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Skitter302
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BEEFKING69
Goin to pick up the drivetrain and stuff for my swap in the next couple of weeks out of a 2017 f150 with 20k miles.

Truck currently has 5.8L with 6 liter mod 1.7 rockers CAI it has 350,000 miles and it gets 100-150 miles to a tank depending on the week and goes through 1+ gallon of oil a week whether i drive it or dont.....It chatters and rattles and has a very distinct knock occasionally that comes and goes as pleases....not rod knock but maybe crank bearing? So its time for a new heart transplant.

5.0 coyote
6r80 trans
Tcase
Steering column
Instrument cluster
Complete wiring harness...May or may not thin out the harness.....all unused wiring may end up just getting wrapped up and tucked outta sight outta mind.
Complete dash with center console and floor shift Can someone measure there 15+ dash width for me so i can compare with mine? If i do get the newer dash in without pulling all my hair out ill need help figuring out how to control my ac/heater box with the newer controls.....what all on the 95 is vacuum and whats electric?
Door panels to experiment with.

Also plan on goin with

Long tube headers...Mustang gt headers will work and are dirt cheap on ebay.
True duals dumping infront of rear tires... Idk whether to go with 2.5 or 3inch exhaust? Also H-pipe or X-Pipe? I believe the mustangs run 2.75 from the factory..
Custom tune 87 tow/economy....87 performance 92 performance or e85 performance....Any one know of e85 stations in panama city fl or tallahassee fl or dothan al and surrounding areas?
Pats delete cause pats is gargbage.
33 gallon rear tank...Ill need help on modifying a sending unit to read accurate in the deeper tank.
Raptor wheel with paddle shifters....Not priority just eventually unless i get a steal on one.
Plan on using 2018 mustang gt lcd gauge cluster...It plugs in and powers up with the truck harness but thats all i know about it atm.other than its freaking gorgeous <3

I may go with mustang cams but im undecided yet as idk if they are much of an upgrade like they are on the 11-14 f150 motors. Im going to look into it tho as this is going to be my DD and i rarely tow anything other than a 16ft utility trailer with a couple mini dune buggys on it...Plus my 99 f150 4.6 has over 500,000 miles and ive hauled 5k pounds worth of batterys in the bed and 3-4k pounds of prepared steel multiple times over an hour to the scrap yard and towed a 8k pound truck on a 1.4k pound trailer once and if that gutless less than 200hp pos can do all that then the 5.0 will be able to haul/tow anything ill need it to.

Motor mounts will be from 96-04 mustang gt
04 Corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator combo
Current plan on power steering is 05-09 volvo s40/v50 electric power steering pump cause i aint spending 800 bucks on brackets/kit for a 4.6 pump...what a freaking joke lol

Any discussion on this would be great so i ant just talking to myself on here. Suggestions and questions welcome along with any tips etc.
Pics below are not mine but just showing what needs to be done to frame and crossmember to drop a coyote in.
Nothing but encouragement for you from my keyboard.

As thought on your fuel tank look on rock auto and find the 38 gallon tank. I got one and it has the opening for the 4" Ford sending unit along with the conversion kit in the box adapt the sending unit to the new tank.
By way of exhaust I would do dual 3" with "x" pipe and enjoy the power. Best of luck to ya and happy building.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
But then it wouldn't have a Coyote motor.... which is major cool points.

I'm just here for the pictures though lol

Old 04-05-2019, 04:37 PM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
You could replace your worn out engine with a 351W based engine and get to your 400-450 goal and beyond. Swapping out almost everything except the sheet metal to get that engine doesn’t seem worth the trouble to me. Interested to see how this goes...

As a side note the dashboards changed with the body style so 80-86, 87-91, 92-96/7.
I could but then id have a cast iron boat anchor with 450hp that got 10mpg at 55mph down hill coasting....and honestly all i have to swap is motor trans tcase.....the dash and all is just a want not a necessity. I couldnt remember the exact years of the dash changes other than my last 87 had the same dash as my last 85 but close enough for government work lol.

Originally Posted by Skitter302
Nothing but encouragement for you from my keyboard.

As thought on your fuel tank look on rock auto and find the 38 gallon tank. I got one and it has the opening for the 4" Ford sending unit along with the conversion kit in the box adapt the sending unit to the new tank.
By way of exhaust I would do dual 3" with "x" pipe and enjoy the power. Best of luck to ya and happy building.
Yes ive been eyeballing the 38 gallon tank for a while now so its nice to here from someone thats actually used it....Thx for that info. Ive been debating H-pipe or X-pipe and i think im goin with H-pipe as they have a deeper more throaty sound compared to the X-pipes more raspy sound.....still need to figure out mufflers Ill be running without cat as i am now cause screw cats they are nothing but dollar signs at the scrap yard to me and im in florida and we dont have all that emissions bull**** to go through.....P.S. I know some people will get really trigged because i dont/wont run cats but thats ok i still love yall <3

Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
But then it wouldn't have a Coyote motor.... which is major cool points.

I'm just here for the pictures though lol
Exactly coyote swaps are awesome

Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BEEFKING69
I could but then id have a cast iron boat anchor with 450hp that got 10mpg at 55mph down hill coasting....and honestly all i have to swap is motor trans tcase.....the dash and all is just a want not a necessity. I couldnt remember the exact years of the dash changes other than my last 87 had the same dash as my last 85 but close enough for government work lol.
I’m not trying to or can talk you out of it but I don’t believe that to be true. You might get 10mpg out of a 460 but it also wouldn’t be downhill with a tailwind. You should easily get mid teen mpg from a 351 with power to run 80 mph or more. I have owned my ‘87 Bronco since ‘95. You are incorrect in your statement that your ‘87 had the same dash as your ‘85 unless someone had swapped the dash in one of those trucks.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:10 AM
BEEFKING69
Junior User
I know your not buddy and yes i was exaggerating a little lol and its funny you bring up the 460 cause i had a 86 f350 crew cab with 460 and granny low 4speed and it got 12mpg and drove like a dream....man i miss that truck. and yes my 87 had the same dash as my 85.....Title said 87 it was fuel injected 302 and power everything inside with dual tanks.....it was the first 80's fuel injected f150 i had ever seen.....now was it original...idk...the interior was red and wood grain trim and body was red but there was signs of white under the red in a couple spots in the cab so idk. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt vin swapped as theres numerous vin swapped vehicles floating around here mostly mustangs tho. but im glad you listed the year ranges for the different interiors.

As for choosing the coyote over original 351 I personally feel like the coyote and 6speed auto is better in all aspects besides off idle/low rpm torque plus itll just be plain badass and get good mileage. I also enjoy doin stuff like this and itll be a fun? project and a cool learning experience and next year if my moneys is still going good ill supercharge it and be at 650+ and still get decent mileage. Hell the 5.4L supercharged lightnings only make around 300 wheel hp from what ive read and the obs lightnings are just plain pathetic. i just found a dyno run of a stock 96 351 f150 and it only made 177 hp and 250ish torque. So the coyote is goin to make my truck go from gas guzzlin turd to omfg fun factor through the roof. Also coyote swaps are not expensive anymore unless you buy crate drive trains and control packs and those ridiculous 800+ dollar power steering kits and are paying someone else to do it for you. I guess what im trying to say is that i love my old truck but im tired of the constant problems its had since i got it and i wanna breath new life into it in a more modern way and make it unique and cool and make it a blast to drive instead of a chore.

P.S. the current deal i have worked out for the coyote 5.0, 6speed auto, t-case, entire wiring harness from headlights to taillights, instrument cluster, steering column and ecm,bcm,tcm,tccm, is costing me 4k out the door. Ill probably add this to the op along with other currently know expenses.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
No way I would do this swap, but you're right about the 6spd auto, it'll be a great runner vs the old 4 speeds.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
As far as stock to stock power numbers you are correct. You will be way ahead. All I’m saying is that for $4K you could have a drop in 351 stroker with the same or more power than that Coyote.

Take lots of pictures and post your progress, please.

Quick Reply: 95 F150 4x4 Coyote Swap