Sponsored by: DP Tuner

$1000 Gamble, Low on power and leaking diesel from the front of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by patineto
Okay who is into Vintage Mountain Bikes around here...???

What is this..??
Looks like a roof rack on an e350 with a backup camera mounted off it. Not sure about the mountain bike question tho, could be a hacked up mountain bike frame as the mount arm, but who's to know

Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 PM
patineto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Looks like a roof rack on an e350 with a backup camera mounted off it. Not sure about the mountain bike question tho, could be a hacked up mountain bike frame as the mount arm, but who's to know
I'm a little Loco, but I look to mix my passions with the stuff I build..

The Caramba cranks where the epitome of poorly design CNC parts made from 6061 Billet (Not Forged) in the early 90's

I happen to have connections in the Industry so I got a bunch of the failures

They where call "Double Barrel" for obvious reasons and a ton of riders got hurt pretty bad when they fail...

Funny part is that today they go for about a thousand dollars because collector deem them "exclusive", some people are weird..

Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Yeah the parts for road bikes in my group is crazy. Brother bought a bike off Craigslist, pedals looked wimpy n tiny, he looked into them to try and find the clips for his shoes, just those 2"x2" octogonish pedals go for $1k think he paid $250 for the whole bike, removed the pedals for walmart ones so he could flip em Like our dad says, some people have more money than sense.

I have less than $100 in my road bike, still keep up with the group on our rides

Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 PM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Yeah the parts for road bikes in my group is crazy. Brother bought a bike off Craigslist, pedals looked wimpy n tiny, he looked into them to try and find the clips for his shoes, just those 2"x2" octogonish pedals go for $1k think he paid $250 for the whole bike, removed the pedals for walmart ones so he could flip em Like our dad says, some people have more money than sense.

I have less than $100 in my road bike, still keep up with the group on our rides
I get "Bro-deals" for my bicycle parts, but I'm the other way, I don't mind spend $400 on one single brake, because they are freaking work of art (not like I can buy a Moto GP bike or a F-1 torpedo..

cars I don't really care to much, buy now I have to because I mess up my back and I can not ride my fun toys anymore

Actually now that they engine is working better, I got to have some fun on the van, man for how heavy that thing is handles pretty good, good future friends i hope..

Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM
patineto
Senior User
The Van has pass the "Do I trust you...? Stage"

I spend the last few days, wire brushing all the bottom of the van and also the cargo area, then I will apply POR-15 (Got six small jars instead of a quart since it dry so strong and sometimes the lid cannot be open) then I will prime and pain the bottom, they are a few areas of rust, but is only surface (on the bottom, the two has two other very rusty spots (near the rear wheel wells)

Sadly the bottom of the rear quarter panels are totally Gone, so i'm going to cut it and rework them for "Clearance"

I'm also flipping the Hitch (had to take the spare carrier bracket) so I gain a few inches of ground clearance, plus is going to be flush with the bumper (insert the pin from the back side)

will see, I love this "I don't give a ***** projects" because I can hack with absolute disregard for resale value..

Old 06-01-2019, 06:23 PM
patineto
Senior User
I was really happy because the van was starting and sounding very happy..

Sadly i took it for a ride today (she was getting a lot of work done under the frame) well the first block was fine but after that they whole "Throttle" issue came back, basically it has no power, I end up putting it in first (low gear) to get home (Temperature about half the gauge)

Is it a Proactive list of things I can start doing just to "Check the boxes" (as I gather money, if is prioritise will be even better)

So far
*new glow plugs (old owner got it done)
*Glow plug relay from CNC fabrication
*Oil on spec 5/30
*seal fuel filter bowl
*clean and open line that goes from the front of the engine to the header pipe
*the oil cap those not jump of bounce at all when you test it
* No codes, well NO Engine light..
*brand new stock filter
*Tank filters mesh very clean.
*no water on tank.

Issues
* leaking a small amount of Oil from somewhere (is very difficult for me recuperating from spine surgery to do contortion to look for it.
*Small puddle of coolant coming for the drivers fender (I think the cap is wonky)

Starts at first try with no issues, with some white smoke somethings, some other times not much..

I will update as I remember the stuff i have done to it..

Old 06-02-2019, 12:20 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when it runs bad? Any smoke?

It sounds electrical, like a harness rubbing at the 42 pin connector.

But it could also be a failing fuel pump. Any chance you want to install a fuel pressure gauge to know for sure?

Do you have a way to read sensors, like Torque Pro or ForScan? I'd watch or log the IPR duty cycle and ICP pressure. If they go stupid when it runs bad we have some juicy clues.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 AM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Does the check engine light come on when it runs bad? Any smoke?
The engine light has never come on, makes me wonder if the bulb is burn..

Smoke, white sometimes more than others but is minimal and it tapers down after a few miles into nothing..

It sounds electrical, like a harness rubbing at the 42 pin connector.
I check that connect for chafing and zip tie it so it those not rub on anything, but I have never clean it with contact cleaner.

But it could also be a failing fuel pump. Any chance you want to install a fuel pressure gauge to know for sure?
Want, Yes...!!!!!

Actually I feel that can be the culprit, (from my motorcycle experiences, feel pretty much the same)

CAN kind of but my monetary resources are kind of limited..

Eventually I will like to install a dual pump redundant system, so far I got a Racor filter, but is from the "land of the giants" and I need to find the appropriate size (900 series something) to install everything at the same time..

Do you have a way to read sensors, like Torque Pro or ForScan? I'd watch or log the IPR duty cycle and ICP pressure. If they go stupid when it runs bad we have some juicy clues.
I have torque pro on my tablet, but the OBD II reader those not connect on the van, I read the other day (somewhere here) that is a great reader in Amazon, but I lost the link/name.

I totally understand that will be the place to start, because it will give me clues and some degree of certainty (for now is kind of a crap shoot) with out much logic of methodology (kind of depends in that I find on youtube the night before)

Old 06-02-2019, 09:21 PM
patineto
Senior User
Okay I was going to ask on the "MInnesota chapter" but apparently nobody ask questions there...

I live in North East minneapolis "beer district" and I'm looking for a proficient "radiator shop" to give mine a good clean up (Steam clean the words) as part of my do diligence program

Any recommendations....???

Also I'm going to take all the auxiliaries from the front of the engine (I can not stand all that crud and crap, I want to clean it as much as possible (Yeah I know is a Diesel, but I have all british motorcycles before, "the only ones that don't leak as the one out of oil", but I'm missing a bolt, on the fixture that mounts the alternator and also the belt tensioner pulleys (Is on the Passenger side since is a 2002 E350 7.3, yes I google but out of the million pictures none of the mounts are the one I have..

Thanks as always..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I have Auto Enginuity, I can probably stop by and see if we can get some data.

Try https://www.borgenradiator.com/

Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
I have Auto Enginuity, I can probably stop by and see if we can get some data.
Will the scanner works even if I can not star the engine...?? (Because some stuff is of the engine)

I'm home most of the time everyday, just tell me what kind of beer you like, or whatever you like in fact..

thanks for the tip..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Well, we can get the codes that are stored, but you won't get any KOEO (Key On Engine On) tests done.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
Well, we can get the codes that are stored, but you won't get any KOEO (Key On Engine On) tests done.
I took out the radiator to clean it and also have space to work on the frontal leak (That i still need to find)

i'm going to take the rad to be clean and after what reinstall the components, maybe then is the perfect time for you to come (all depends in the backlog at the radiator shop..

Dan thank for all the support, i'm getting a little frustrated and fearful the engine has some really expensive problem to fix..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM
patineto
Senior User
Another piece of the Puzzle..

Off the wall question, those anybody install electric fans on this vans, something really comun of "Trail" vehicles like the range rovers/land rovers where the shaft driven fan is not capable of keeping the engine in a proper temperature range..

For sure is plenty of space in between the two cores..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Thats just it, them vehicles are "Trail" labeled. Not much airflow when bombing on trails.
Your on a good route. That rad should come back looking brand new. An old menber, Shake n Bake did the route you did. Couldnt see thru the fins.

Quick Reply: $1000 Gamble, Low on power and leaking diesel from the front of the engine