Sponsored by: DP Tuner

$1000 Gamble, Low on power and leaking diesel from the front of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 PM
patineto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1000 Gamble, Low on power and leaking diesel from the front of the engine

2003 E350, in decent shape, but about a week ago drop power on the freeway..

This will be my first diesel and I have no clue about them besides my time in the services spending millions of hours on old G Wagens..

The leak looks to come from a 1/4 rigid (metal) line and the fore front of the engine (fan is like 4" away, the pipe looks to be "Glued" to the engine (or whatever cast piece is there, but has no room to connect any hose line..

Overall I want the van, but since the access is so limited I'm a little scare

Ps: the current owner got it from a sign company 3 months ago for $3000 and they where kind of "Desperate" to sell it, so I don't want to end with a hot potato..

any advice will be great, I only have until 8am to tell him yes or no..

Ricky

A friend mention the high pressure oil pump, can that be it...??

Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Pictures or or make a video, post to YouTube and put link here...

Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If its leaking fuel sounds like either the return line or the supply line to the fuel bowl is giving way. Van motor I think is set up the same way but the two lines are together and if you traced them from the fuel bowl come out the right sight(drivers side). Then down behind the belt and alternator bracket(or right in front of it I don't remember which) then go down next to the cross member and connect to a flexible line which goes back to the fuel pump on the frame. I don't think that would be to hard of a fix but sounds like a good price as long as the miles arent to high....

Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 PM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Welcome to FTE.

Pictures or or make a video, post to YouTube and put link here...
i tried but it was so dark nothing show up

Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by alaskapilot95
If its leaking fuel sounds like either the return line or the supply line to the fuel bowl is giving way. Van motor I think is set up the same way but the two lines are together and if you traced them from the fuel bowl come out the right sight(drivers side). Then down behind the belt and alternator bracket(or right in front of it I don't remember which) then go down next to the cross member and connect to a flexible line which goes back to the fuel pump on the frame. I don't think that would be to hard of a fix but sounds like a good price as long as the miles arent to high....
200.000 but it was a service/company van so I'm sure was clap to no end...

So you don't think the damage is Terminal...?? (I don't hold you to it)

If is any indication the van trembles when running (like something is out of balance, but it can also be the injector starving...

I'm very tempted, I just have this affliction that after I get into a project i can not stop until is working great, but at the same time I have lost a ton of money and time with racing motorcycles that never stop breaking crap..

Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by patineto
200.000 but it was a service/company van so I'm sure was clap to no end...

So you don't think the damage is Terminal...?? (I don't hold you to it)

If is any indication the van trembles when running (like something is out of balance, but it can also be the injector starving...

I'm very tempted, I just have this affliction that after I get into a project i can not stop until is working great, but at the same time I have lost a ton of money and time with racing motorcycles that never stop breaking crap..
I mean im no expert but I would think if it just started leaking and wasn't run for a long time without the proper fuel pressure it would be ok. But if it was run for a long time with not the correct fuel pressure and vibrating then it could have caused some damage(but could be vibrating because its starving for fuel)......I got a 2000 F350 and mine came with an engine that had a ton of blow-bye but it still ran and i ran it for probably 3000 miles before I stuck a van engine in it for $500. In the end it just depends on how much you want to spend if it turns out that it killed the injectors or needs more work.....Mine also was an Alaska north slope oil truck and it just idled all its life and I love my truck now. Everyone will tell you though that you'll probably want more power and once you start you just keep increasing power and spending money......

Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 PM
patineto
Senior User
The pipe the diesel is coming front is on the passenger side, at the very from, almost in line with the end of the fan and about 4 or 5 inches backwards

I did not see any other hose/pipe around but I'm sure you can just not a have a "Total lost" hose on a vehicle, for sure I'm missing something..

Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
The pipe the diesel is coming front is on the passenger side, at the very from, almost in line with the end of the fan and about 4 or 5 inches backwards

I did not see any other hose/pipe around but I'm sure you can just not a have a "Total lost" hose on a vehicle, for sure I'm missing something..
I would say like Colorado said to get a picture and it would help us to help you. Flashlight and camera works great or camera flash

Old 03-26-2019, 07:46 PM
patineto
Senior User
I mean im no expert but I would think if it just started leaking and wasn't run for a long time without the proper fuel pressure it would be ok. But if it was run for a long time with not the correct fuel pressure and vibrating then it could have caused some damage(but could be vibrating because its starving for fuel)......I got a 2000 F350 and mine came with an engine that had a ton of blow-bye but it still ran and i ran it for probably 3000 miles before I stuck a van engine in it for $500. In the end it just depends on how much you want to spend if it turns out that it killed the injectors or needs more work.....Mine also was an Alaska north slope oil truck and it just idled all its life and I love my truck now. Everyone will tell you though that you'll probably want more power and once you start you just keep increasing power and spending money......
Well I really want a wide body ambulance with the 7.3, but they are at least $6000 around here, so I was thinking of this van as a steeping stone into the whole diesel world..

My money I spend on my kids and my bicycles, cars i don't really care that much and motorcycles i can not ride after a back accident that broke my back...

Old 03-26-2019, 07:49 PM
patineto
Senior User
I would say like Colorado said to get a picture and it would help us to help you. Flashlight and camera works great or camera flash
I only had my old Iphone with me and the few pictures I took came totally black or way to blur (I did not thinking of taking the air filter to let see sun shine a little inside the engine bay)

Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM
patineto
Senior User
The only photos that came out

I know, i know they tell you nothing..

Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned

Im not familiar with anything on the passenger side besides possibly a fuel line that goes to the head. When I took most the stuff of my van engine it was basically the same as the F series engine just accessories were different.

Well I really want a wide body ambulance with the 7.3, but they are at least $6000 around here, so I was thinking of this van as a steeping stone into the whole diesel world..

My money I spend on my kids and my bicycles, cars i don't really care that much and motorcycles i can not ride after a back accident that broke my back...
I think that looks like a pretty good van especially for the price. The engine usually runs over 400,000 as long as its taken care of. I just try to put money into my truck to keep it going since we drive it all over the lower 48 all winter. Where are you located?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 PM
patineto
Senior User
Im not familiar with anything on the passenger side besides possibly a fuel line that goes to the head. When I took most the stuff of my van engine it was basically the same as the F series engine just accessories were different.
Yeah I'm aware the F and the E's are very different that way

I think that looks like a pretty good van especially for the price. The engine usually runs over 400,000 as long as its taken care of. I just try to put money into my truck to keep it going since we drive it all over the lower 48 all winter. Where are you located?
I'm totally sold on the 7.3 and I feel bad to be such a wuss, but with my back I can not work 10 hours a day on it or reach tight places, I do have a strong jack and the basic tower to hold it up and make work a little easier..

The rust is minimal,is there but compare with some sprinters I have seeing is totally solid..

Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
I'm totally sold on the 7.3 and I feel bad to be such a wuss, but with my back I can not work 10 hours a day on it or reach tight places, I do have a strong jack and the basic tower to hold it up and make work a little easier..

The rust is minimal,is there but compare with some sprinters I have seeing is totally solid..
Yeah I’ve always been a fan of the 7.3 and always wanted one and now I have it. Probably won’t get rid of it till it won’t drive no more. Vans can be a little bit harder to work on depending on what your working on but with the removable inside cover it helps work on the back of the engine.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 PM
patineto
Senior User
Yeah I’ve always been a fan of the 7.3 and always wanted one and now I have it. Probably won’t get rid of it till it won’t drive no more. Vans can be a little bit harder to work on depending on what your working on but with the removable inside cover it helps work on the back of the engine.
I have no paid for a mechanic in almost 30 years, but maybe is about time to start, I just want to make sure the engine or something big is not FUBAR, and then I can buy it, I'm happy to fix things, hell i love fixing stuff, i just wish I know more...

Well I have until 9am tomorrow to make out my mind, hopefully i learn a lot tonight..

Hey you Alaskan pilots had more "Spherical pairs" that most humans, thanks for all the help...

Quick Reply: $1000 Gamble, Low on power and leaking diesel from the front of the engine