Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 239 flahead

Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM
ynot321AB1
Freshman User
ynot321AB1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1951 239 flahead

I have this engine I put into a 1950 F-1, I am trying to figure out if the motor is positive ground. The coil has a battery side and a distributor side, there is wire from the marked battery side of the coil going to the distributor thereby giving me the impression I have a positive ground. Any help I could get in finding out would be greatly appreciated .

Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
The truck was originally six volt positive ground. It will run either way.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM
ynot321AB1
Freshman User
ynot321AB1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks

You mean it will not burn up like the solonoid and the voltage regulator if I run it as a negative ground?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Regardless of whether the truck is (+) or (-) ground, the BAT side of the coil should go to the ignition switch, not the distributor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.