Review: Torklift GlowStep Revolution

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,975 Likes on 2,819 Posts
Thumbs up Review: Torklift GlowStep Revolution

This is a review of the Torklift International GlowStep Revolution. The way these steps work it does seem like a revolution in step design. They are quite different. Someone who is familiar with regular RV steps but isn't familiar with the GlowStep Revolution is going to have to think for a bit (or read the instructions printed on the steps) to get them deployed. It's not difficult, it's just different.

Tools
  • 14 mm socket
  • 14 mm open end wrench
  • Straight blade screwdriver
  • Torque wrench
  • Hydraulic jack or floor jack (optional)

The steps that I had on my trailer were not the OEM steps. I had replaced the OEM steel steps with a set that had aluminum treads. That reduced the weight of the steps down to 48 lbs. However, the steps weren't rigid enough. When I stepped on the bottom step there was at least 3/4" of deflection. I weigh 160 lbs soaking wet so that was a lot of movement to me. Last year I had added supporting shims and bolts to the step frame to try and firm things up but it didn't help. My trailer is nose down, making the steps look too low.

After removing the old steps but before installing the new steps I took a few pictures to compare them.

Here you can see the thickness of the end plates. The GlowStep is on the left and the old steps are on the right.

The new steps are much shorter when recessed!

The depth of the old and new steps is almost the same with the exception of the handle on the new steps.

If you follow the instructions they could save you a fair amount of effort. There are two bolts that are the upper anchors for the steps. These attach the steps to the frame as a pivot point. The instructions tell you to remove these bolts. The reason is that it makes the frame lighter and a lot less bulky without the steps attached. It's also nice to have the steps out of the frame so you can easily get your hands into the frame to insert the bolts that hold the frame to the trailer. Removal of the steps is optional. Removing them worked well for me since I did the install by myself.

This is a picture of the pivot bolt that gets removed. I took a picture of it mainly in case I forgot the order of the fasteners. Note that the bolt head has to be on the outside of the frame (as shown by the blue arrow). If you insert it from the inside the end of the bolt will probably contact the trim on your trailer.

The only glitch in the install was the head of a bolt (on both sides) of the step's frame that came into contact with the trailer's mounting bracket. The head of the bolt doesn't stick out very far so I used a straight blade screwdriver to lift the mounting bracket over the bolt head and then the frame slide right up into position.

The steps came with 3/8" and 5/16" hardware. I used the 3/8" hardware since that's what the old steps used. The left side moved easily up to the mounting bracket holes and I inserted the bolts and then screwed the nuts on enough to keep the bolts from coming out. The right side needed a little encouragement and that's where the hydraulic jack came in. It moved the frame up to just the right spot so I could get the bolts in. Note that the bolts are inserted from the inside of the frame. That way if they're too long they won't come into contact with the steps when they are recessed.

The bolts were tightened to the torque specifications provided in the manual. Once the frame has been installed, reattach the steps to the frame with the pivot bolts.

My first attempt to install the step frame was incorrect. Because the new step frame is shorter than the old frame I thought the new steps should be installed in the lower bolt holes of the trailer's mounting bracket. When I held the step up to the frame it was obvious that the new step frame needed to be mounted in the same holes that the old steps used.

My first attempt to deploy the steps looked like this.

After consulting the instructions I realized there were multiple positions that the steps could be set to at the top. After my RTFM moment the steps looked much better.

Note the blue arrow in the picture above. The black brackets at the end of the steps are adjustable height feet. Those are going to come in handy. I'm rarely at an established campground. Instead, I'm usually boondocking in the Rocky Mountains. Rarely do I get a nice, flat spot. The adjustable feet will work well to keep the steps firmly on the ground.

Here are the steps fully recessed and locked in place.

The release levers are a little close to the trailer's aluminum skirt but not so close that I can't get my hand on it. If they stuck out any further they might snag on bushes or small children as I drove past. I didn't show a picture of my old steps recessed. If pictures of the two recessed steps were compared side-by-side you would see the GlowStep doesn't hang down as far. This will be convenient when I have to crawl under the trailer from this side. Plus, the trailer will be far more aerodynamic.

Before removing the old steps, I scribed a line in the dirt to show how far out the steps extended. The GlowStep extended about 3/4" further out than the old steps. If I hadn't scribed the line I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Pros
  • No deflection. They are nice and firm!
  • The height adjustments at the frame and the feet are very useful for when parked on uneven terrain
  • They're lighter than my previous aluminum steps by 4 lbs and needed two fewer bolts.
  • Reconfigurable. I have three steps on mine. A fourth step could be added if I decided to take these with me to a taller trailer. The system supports a maximum of six steps.
  • They glow! There are two patches on each step that will, according to Torklift, glow for up to 10 hours. That will be handy for when I forget to leave the porch light on.
  • Multiple accessories are available. I'm probably going to buy the DirtDestroyer boot brush. I tried to use a boot brush that sits on the ground last hunting season. That didn't work well because it moved around too much. The handrails look interesting but I'm going to stick with the OEM handrail for now.
  • No rust! The steps are made of aluminum and stainless steel.
  • Lifetime warranty.
  • No deployment clearance issues when parked close to a tree, boulder, car or other trailer.
  • Uses existing mounting brackets but they do have kits available to fit the frame to unusual mounting brackets.

Cons
  • Small learning curve to deploy and recess the steps.
  • I may have to trim my vinyl skirt to fit around the new steps. Minor issue.
Summary
These steps are stronger than what I had while weighing less. Any time I can put my trailer on a diet and get better results you won't hear me complaining. The instructions are well thought out, provide very good guidance and don't leave you wondering how tight a bolt should be.

Disclosure: Torklift provided these steps for evaluation. They're not getting them back!!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have been looking between these and the solid steps. How do I get a set to evaluate lol?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
I snagged and bent my cheap OEM steel steps with a rear tire. Straightened them back out pretty good, but I've been thinking about replacing with after market. I'll look into these more.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by wrvond
I snagged and bent my cheap OEM steel steps with a rear tire. Straightened them back out pretty good, but I've been thinking about replacing with after market. I'll look into these more.
Thanks for sharing!
I'll try to get a measurement to show how much the clearance changed.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Semi Hex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a set yesterday with minimum effort. The biggest issue was getting the oem set off. They are hyper adjustable and look snazzy!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I'm currently on a fishing trip. I rarely stay at commercial campgrounds but the time of year necessitated it. The site looked level but was off just enough that the steps needed a slight adjustment. Worked great!

Old 08-25-2021, 09:26 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
2+ year follow-up. The steps are working great! I have had no problems with them and they have needed no adjustment to the install. I clean them off with the power washer (avoiding the glow pads) and hit the joints with a spray of dry silicone lube once a year.