Sponsored by:

Possible Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Possible Engine Swap

I have been researching power upgrades for my 1993 351W Bronco and I started considering an engine swap as one option. I mean, why should I spend $4500 on a super charger if I can get a 460 with plenty of power for $1500? Is it even possible to do this swap? Is my gas mileage going to drop from it's already astounding 10mpg to a lot less? How many of my factory engine components would I be able to use? Would it be possible to still use fuel injection or would a carb be the way to go? Will I have to replace my transmission which is an E40D and, if so, is it possible to trade a good tranny and get some money towards the other one? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Wakeboarder141; 10-01-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the swap has been done numerous times. i would stick with efi thats were you will get the best mpg but really thats not why you your gonna go big. you will need to replace the tranny with one that was bolted to a 460 already. best advice would be find a donor rig that has the 460 already in it. then start swapping all of it over tranny, computer, harness ... everything. there is nothing on the 351 that you would be able to use , but i could be wrong, there just to different motors. check out L&L products they have everything you would need for the swap.

good luck

Old 10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
frogger01
Senior User
Talk to Dustin Siebert he did this converison on his 1990 bronco known as "Rubber Ducky"

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/

Personally I would do the SC install instead...

Last edited by frogger01; 10-01-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:17 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definatley stick with a small block as well. The 460 will make your ride MUCH different. Also, so many things have to be changed. You only get 10?? When was the last tune up you gave it? Do you haul ***? I get an average of 13 consistenly with my 351. How many miles are on it? What are youre plans for this vehicle? If youre just looking for some easy power, just get a Diablo chip, a set of headers, high flow Y, a cam, and some nice heads. That should push out more than enough for a bronco.

Rich

Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 PM
monkei
More Turbo
yeah a 460 is very large for a 351 bellhousing and will substantially weigh down the front end causing its nose to sink and carry the majority of the trucks momentum. and the gas cost will kill. but very few things top a 7.5l bronco (a diesel might)

Old 10-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Ok, thanks for the advice guys. One of the main reasons I was considering a larger engine was because mine has 135k on it and will probably need rebuilt or replaced before too long. It runs pretty well now but I can tell it has the miles on it. One reason I was avoiding those chips is because don't you have to run 92 octane for all of them? More expensive gas is not something I would prefer, but if it is worth it I may consider it. I had never even really thought about heads or a cam on a 4x4. I was under the impression that most of that stuff was only really good for hot rods. What is a good set of heads and a cam to look for? Will the chip be necessary to keep the computer from going out of whack with the other mods? The Y pipe is a restriction in the exhaust? Why do I keep reading that all headers make you lose torque? Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-02-2003, 08:10 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Yeah, thats the downside of chips. You need to run 91+octane. I am going to purchase a Diablo chip in the coming months. I run premium all the time anyways (runs alot better), so the extra gas bill is already there. Cam technology has come along way. There are 4x4 pertinent cams on the market now. The one thats coming to mind off the top of my head is the Xtreme energy 4x4 cam. I know there are others. I dont know much about cams and heads, but I know they work! Youre best bet for finding out that info would be to head over to the 351W forum. I paruse there every once and a while, and there are some knowledgeable guys over there (surprise, surprise right?) Quick edit: Heres an example http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...75&prmenbr=361 No, a chip isnt necessarily needed, but its better to get one....especially with heads. The chip can alter the timing to really get the most out of your mods. As for the Y pipe, it is definatley a choke point. I would look into a Bassani Y pipe. If you use the search function for this forum, you will find out all the info you need about them. Yes, headers will sacrifice some low end torque for more middle range and top end horsepower. I have a set of ceramic coated Bassanis on my 351, and it pulls stronger than ever up hills and around town. The reason you lose torque is due to the collector on the headers. Most manufacturers are a 3" collector. Its only a 2" collector on the stock manifolds.

Rich

Old 10-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Thanks for the advice, Rich. I am thinking for the price maybe a cam may be in order soon. I would definitely like to get that nice "lope" sound going once I get my exhaust loud enough for my tastes. How do I know if the cam is going to give me a loping idle or a smooth idle just by looking at the specs? Some cams list the lobe seperation, but the crane cams one for trucks that I was looking at only has one model listed for the 351.

Last edited by Wakeboarder141; 10-02-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
To be absolutely sure, the only advice I can give you is to call the cam manufacturers directly. Most distributors dont know much about anything! Also, some of these online sites have a 'ask a tech' type feature. The easiest is to hit up the 351 forum. Id start there and see if that answers youre questions. They should also be able to point out the other manufacturers.

Rich

Old 10-27-2003, 03:33 PM
redneckcowboy
New User
Another thing to keep in mind is that an adapter is available to bolt any ford big block onto a small block tranny. try transmissionadapters.com. i'm currently using this kit to install a big block 540 into my 1990 F350 with the small-block E4OD.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
hey redneck, i hope you plan on completly going through that tranny so it will handle that bigblock. I know a stock rebuilt E4OD runs alittle over $2000, hate to see what a beefed up one would cost

late

Old 10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
redneckcowboy
New User
The E4OD can beat ANY non-electronic transmission if it is built right. Check out baumannengineering.com for some ideas. they have made serious progress. the 1995 and later trannies were better, but you can upgrade the earlier models fairly easily. once again, these parts are sold as kits and can be found at several tranny sites. 45 element intermediate sprag, 6-pinion front and rear planetaries, 8 clutches in direct drum of 3rd gear, tranny cooler, stall converter around 2000 - 3000 depending upon motor.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the same goes for any tranny thats built right!

Old 10-29-2003, 03:48 AM
Capone
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wakeboarder,

Why not get a 5.8 shortblock from FRPP and add a pair of AFR 165's or a pair of edelbrock performers? along with the edelbrock EFI intake?

JBA headers, Bassani Y pipe and the flowmaster 40 series muffler would also round things out nicely...

Go with a custom grind camshaft....do a google search on camresearch and talk to Scott...this is where I got mine...and I now smoke the new powerstroke F250s AND the Chebby Duramax's....

I would also plan on adding the Diablo chip to really take advantage of the mods....

If you go with the ight Diablo chip you can go back and forth between octane req settings.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:25 AM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
I keep hearing about these FRPP short blocks, but I don't really know what I am looking for. The ones I saw had a bunch of different listings for the 351W, ie. 408W. Does that mean it is bored out or something? What kind of gas mileage change could I expect when switching from the factory motor to one of those? I figure at 138k I will probably need a rebuild this year so I would like to save and get all the engine work done at once. Thanks for you help.

Quick Reply: Possible Engine Swap