1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85 f150 4x4 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Mikej2021
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alrighty got the truck yesterday runs like a top other then the trans. What all do I need or need to do to adjust the TV cable

Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Haynes says for adjustment. On non-efi engines, check that the engine idle speed has been properly set. Verify that the cable routing is free of sharp bends and that the cable operates freely. On non efi engines equipped with idle positioning solenoids, make sure solenoids are in the retracted(anti diesel) position. On carbureted engine (non-variable venturi), if the engine is cold, decam the fast idle cam by first wedging the choke plate fully open, then open the throttle all the way and let it return to the idle stop. Verify that the carburetor throttle lever is resting on its normal idle stop. On variable venturi carbureted models, if the engine is cold, decam the fast idle cam by retracting the choke control diaphragm linkage against choke spring tension and open the throttle to allow cam to rotate to normal idle position. Release throttle and verify that throttle is resting on it's normal idle stop. Place the transmission in N(neutral) and set the parking brake. At the carburetor or throttle housing(efi), unlock the TV control cable self-adjusting lock mechanism at the end of the cable housing body by releasing the clamp tabs in the housing window and prying the clamp out from the top with a small screwdriver. Verify that the cable housing can be pushed freely towards the cable bracket against the spring tension. Fro under the vehicle, have an assistant hold the transmission TV lever against it's idle position stop(clockwise as far to the rear as possible) and hold. The cable slack take-up spring will then set the proper cable length automatically. An alternative method is to install a suitable spring(or springs) to hold the lever rearwards with about 10-pounds of force. While still holding transmission lever against idle stop, lock upper cable clamp in place by pushing the clamp back into the cable body until it's flush. NOTE: Prior to re-locking cable, verify that the throttle lever is resting on it's normal idle stop. If used, remove the transmission lever retention springs.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Mikej2021
Freshman User

This is what i have. Any guidance will be much appreciated

Old 03-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
That bottom picture your throttle cable and a kickdown rod behind that, or am I missing something? Where does the cable from the transmission end up, and how far does that kickdown rod go?

Old 03-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Mikej2021
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kramercd
That bottom picture your throttle cable and a kickdown rod behind that, or am I missing something? Where does the cable from the transmission end up, and how far does that kickdown rod go?
No cable is has the TV rod I stead

Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright, I just took a nap, eyes are a little fuzzy. Back to haynes. Adjustment at the carburetor:

If the throttle rod has not been removed and the lower rod-to-transmission lever relationship has not been disturbed, a minor adjustment at the carburetor TV rod adjustment screw should be attempted prior to trying to adjust at the transmission. Check that the engine idle speed has been properly set. With the engine at normal operating temperature, verify that the choke plate is open and the carburetor throttle lever is resting on it's idle stop. Place the transmission in N(neutral) and set the parking brake. Back out the throttle linkage TV adjusting screw until it's flush with the outside face of the lever. The adjusting screw is directly opposite of the dashpot, on the driver's side of the carburetor. Insert a 0.005-inch feeler guage between the adjusting screw and the throttle lever and turn the adjusting screw in until the feeler gauge fits snugly between the pieces. Remove feeler gauge and push the adjusting screw linkage forwards(tending to close the gap) and release it to remove any residual friction, then check the gap again. NOTE: When checking the gap, do not apply any load on the levers, as this will give a false gap measurement. Readjust if necessary to get the proper gap. After gap has been successfully set, turn the adjusting screw in (clockwise) and additional four complete turns to complete the procedure. NOTE: If it is not possible to obtain at least two turns of if the initial gap is too wide for the adjust screw to bridge, perform linkage adjustment at transmission.

Adjustment at transmission:

The linkage lever adjusting screw has limited capability. If adjust screw procedure fails, the length of the TV rod assembly must be adjusted as follows: Raise vehicle and place securely on jackstands, verify engine idle speed , ensure engine is at operating temperature, put in N(neutral) and set parking brake, again. Set the TV linkage lever adjustment screw at approximately mid-point. Locate the transmission TV lever and loosen the control rod trunnion block set bolt to free the rod. Remove any corrosion or dirt that might prevent free movement of the block along the rod. Push up on the control rod to seat the upper lever adjusting screw against the throttle lever, then release it. Push the transmissions TV lever and trunnion block up until the transmission lever firmly bottoms against is internal stops. Hold the lever in this position and tighten the trunnion block set screw securely. Perform adjustment at carburetor procedure and fine tune adjust screw if necessary. Remove the jackstands and lower vehicle.

Will post relevant photos with my phone.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader

Also, I think you could get by without putting it on jackstands.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Wrong Carb for an AOD you will never be able to adjust he TV rod properly with this carb. This is a 3 speed auto carb with the TV rod hooked the the kick down lever.

You need an AOD carb with the AOD TV rod linkage.

Such as below.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Wrong Carb for an AOD you will never be able to adjust he TV rod properly with this carb. This is a 3 speed auto carb with the TV rod hooked the the kick down lever.

Such as below.

Would it be possible to just put a kickdown rod on?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
What will tell the transmission when to shift? The AOD does not have a vacuum line going to it, it's all in the mechanical linkage going to the trans. That is what makes the AOD such a pain to swap.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
NO, the TV rod is what tells the trans to shift muck like a modulator valve does. The ratio between the carb lever and the trans lever has to be retained. You can use the kick down lever on the carb provided it has full sweep BUT the arc of the lever on the trans has to be adjusted to maintain the same ratio as factory. This is not a complicated thing to so providing you can do some basic maths and have some basic fabrication skills.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Mikej2021
Freshman User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b

Such as below.

Would it be possible to put a TV cable instead?

Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
People have used this Lokar cable with some success. But be warned you still have to set this up correctly and it still make take a little fab work.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...iABEgLh4PD_BwE

Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Mikej2021
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
People have used this Lokar cable with some success. But be warned you still have to set this up correctly and it still make take a little fab work.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...iABEgLh4PD_BwE
Do you know if it has to be that kit or can I get just a TV cable from an auto parts store

Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mikej2021
Do you know if it has to be that kit or can I get just a TV cable from an auto parts store
You need the kit as is has revised carb and and trans levers.

Now there is another option if you can accurately measure the distance from the center pivot point on the trans to the center pivot point where the linkage attaches for the tras TV lever I can tell you how much to bend the trans lever to keep the ratio and use the kick down lever on the carb as the TV lever.. I have done this before and then you will then set up the kick down lever in the same manner as a normal TV lever.
See below pic to know the distance I need. This lever is for the factory cable set up so ignore the configuration of it . I'm in the middle of moving so my notes are buried. This measurement is best done with a caliper as it has to be accurate. I need the figure in inches not MM.

Quick Reply: 85 f150 4x4 transmission