1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pros and Cons of the LTD/Big Ford IFS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:53 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Pros and Cons of the LTD/Big Ford IFS

At Carl's request we have added another. The LTD, Torino, Ranchero big ole Ford style IFS system.

Pros

1. Ford IFS
2. Plentiful Donors
3. Donors often are heavier than an F100
4. Ready to accept a modern Ford Engine!!!!

Cons

1. Safe install requires very skilled welder/fabricator. Not a good first attempt at welding (not that any IFS really is but it's especially critical for LTD or GM style)

Old 10-01-2003, 12:24 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
To further add to Ford Front suspension clip.

Pros:

1. If a 67-79 Front end is installed there are a wide variety of Ford engines that can be installed. A majority of the clips thru 1976 like the Thundebird, Cougar, Torino, Ranchero, Elite, Mark II, Grand Marquis thru 77' Galaxie, and LTD thru 78' allow one many options up to the 460 if the clip is installed correctly

2. Since the above clips are rear steer meaning the steering box is behind the crossmember if one wanted a bit of nostalgia the 67-69 T-bird swingaway columns will mate up to the factory steering box.

3. most of the midsize cars mentioned in number 1 like torino, Elite, and Ranchero the rearend are 9" adn would be the correct length for 53-56's.

4. The interchange on theses parts is so broad finding replacement parts would not be difficult.

4. If one wanted a newer Front clip the 80-91 Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town car are good ones. I have seen 80' and 87' model front end used with great success. the one thing about these clips is that a 302 and 351 W will go in on factory mounts. Also as a bonus the 4.6 will also go in on factory mounts.

5. Again the parts interchange is vast on these clips the control arms go thru 94 in some applications. IF you find a former police model it has the heavier duty front sway bar to further improve handling. I plan to swap over to one this winter on my 87' Front clip.

6. Has anyone driven a fullsize ford lately?? Fords for the longest have had good riding fullsize and midsize cars.

7. Last but not least it allows you to put a Ford in a Ford. Buy an old Police model it's cheaper and you can use all Facotry components.

8. Some many people perceive it to be a GM clip because the steering box is in the front like GM. haha
CONS

9. Costs with purchasing clip runs about $1100 here in the SOutheast US.(TN and NC, SC)

CONS

1. You must measure twice and even three times before you cut.

2. You understand steering geometry to include angles.

3. You must have established points of reference from which to measure. Front to back and diagonally to insure that clip is center and level.

4. You must mesure often and you have to be able to weld.and so some fabrictions of pieces to clean up the appearance of the clip.

5. To run a big block you need to use the 77-78 on back model years. the newer clips did come factory with big blocks so a 351W or maybe a 5.4 would be the biggest motor possible. Experience has shown the 77-79 T-bird, Cougar and 80-91 Fullsize Ford to be good for small blocks. Then the 67-71 T-bird, Galaxie, LTD, and 76 T-bird, 77-78 Marquis for Big blocks

If anyone is interested in looking at at clip go to my gallery and see the pictures in the "End desired result" gallery and I can answer most questions regarding.

Last edited by tacson; 10-01-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:14 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you grafted a rear clip off an 72-76 Ranchero you will get a tri-bar 4 link with coils. Usually the 9" were 3.00.1 ratio and they were the high performance versions.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Tacson covered it all, but I’ve had some experiences with a Galaxie clip, and I can’t resist posting it here too.
Pros:

1 – I could install a 3sp on the column and ps using the steering column from the Galaxie without too much trouble.

2 – It was very easy to install the 302 with that clip.

3 – I was able retain several original parts, like radiator, bumper, and so on.

4 – The 69? Galaxie that we took the suspension out had the same bolt pattern as the F100, so the original wheels could be used.

5 – It drives and handles better than and the original worn out straight axle that was on the truck.

6 –I can easily find replacement parts.

Cons:

1 – Whoever installs it, must know exactly what he is doing. Not for the first time builder.

2 – Using the original wheels and tires, you can’t turn your wheels all the way to the left or to the right as they will rub against the inner fender, but this may not be a problem with the clip itself, as the truck have a F350 cabin and fenders...

3 – It’s not that simple to change the ride height.

As far as I can remember, I think that's about it...

All these pro and cons were based on the Brazilian model of Galaxie… It should be the same as the one that was made in the US during late 60s, but who knows…

Best regards,
Lobo

Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Paso1
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny you should be talking about this I have a complete 83 Grand Marquis station wagon that I took the body off a couple of years ago. The frame c/w 351 and O/drive transmission have been covered up. Many times I measured it up against a 52 F3 frame that I also have sitting beside it and I couldn't help but notice that this front clip was a simple cut and paste onto the older frame. But I couldn't understand why nobody was using the Ltd. front clip. I figured I was missing something. I think the wagon also has the bigger sway bar up front as I have a 83 Ltd Crown victoria that I bought new and that sway bar is smaller than the wagon bar. I think the LTD front end components were used for quite a few years.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:06 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User
Amen to "not for the first time builder"!

Amen to "more difficult to adjust ride hieght"

Good luck, and BE SAFE.

BobJonesSpecial
Jim McNaul

Old 10-04-2003, 01:11 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Has anyone seen issue #23 of the Rodder's Journal?. The 56 F100 that is on page 37 has an 78 Elite Frontend which is similiar to the LTD for that year. Has anone thought of putting together a "photo albums of the how the various trucks sit with the differnet front ends/clips in this forum? I have some photos if someone is willing to tell me how to start one.

Old 10-04-2003, 05:56 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Tacson

A collection of PICs of the different clips is not bad idea. George and a few others are the PIC gurus here. He's feeling a little under the weather now but I'm sure he'd help you out like he always does. A simple gallery of PICs would work fine.

And thanks for your quality posts on this thread. I've learned a lot.

BTW, I'm thinking an Elite is about the same as a Gran Torino.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:07 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Close but no cigar. The Torino became the Elite in 77.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:48 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Fenders thanks for the compliments. 51 D is correct the Torino became the Elite and took on the LTD platform for a couple of years then Vanished. I had the idea for a photo gallery because for the 6 years I was out of sport, meaning I was an enthusiast but I had no rolling truck. I. I probably burnt up many phone lines and bugged folks to no end to tell which is best. True you will still not know from pictures but at least one could get an idea on how the truck will sit. From looking in my gallery one could see what a Ford clip install entails. See I did learn something while I was sitting on the curb for 6 years without rolling wheels. Ha Ha

Old 10-05-2003, 11:13 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

One last note tonight I talked to my mentor in the suspension business. A friend of mine had asked about what clip would be best to install on a 48-52 F-1. Kinney Frye, the man who taught me all about suspensions fors 48-56 Ford Trucks, recommended the use of the 65- 68 Fullsize Ford or Mercury car. The spindle off a 74-76 Midsize car like Cougar, Torino, Elite, or Montego will interchange giving you disc brakes. I hope this thread is useful to someone.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'fenders & Kenny,

Got it all from this thread.

RMF

Old 10-06-2003, 07:14 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tacson, ask your buddy what he would recommend for a 53-56 F-100 and ALSO a F350.
Im drivin' a 54 F350 and have a 55 F100 sitting in the weeds. The 350 gets used pretty hard and carries big loads as well as a trailer at times.

As long as you are at it ask about a 42-7 1/2 ton.

Thanx.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
Carl, I have a question for you…

Is the suspension/frame of the 40-41 1/2 ton the same ones of the 42-47?
If it is, you won’t be the only one who would like to know the options for those trucks. I’ll be helping a friend of mine with a 41 next year…

Thanks in advance,
Lobo

Old 10-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
I've just found this picture... I forgot I had it.

You can't see it very well, but it may give you an idea of what everything looked like after the 69? Galaxie suspension and the 302 were installed...

Best regards,
Lobo

PS I have this photo "Super Size version". If anyone wants it, I can send it by email.

Last edited by Lobo 2; 10-06-2003 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the LTD/Big Ford IFS