Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost on Steering

Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM
bde250
New User
bde250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lost on Steering

Good afternoon, long time lurker on the forum just never signed up. A lot of good info here, but Im unable to find issues exactly like mine. My truck is an 18 6.7 4x4. I have an icon 2.5" level installed, a ready lift track bad relocation bracket, Carli 2 degree caster shims, and the fox ats steering stabilizer. On order now are some Carli front sway bar drop brackets. Truck sits on k02 35x12.5x18 on method wheels

After all. this, and taking what I thought are necessary measures to eliminate bump steer, the truck still bump steers lik crazy. I can let go for the wheel and it gets a mind of its own. I have had it aligned 4x at three different places. My next step would be to install an adjustable track bar bracket, but am unsure if it will work with the relocation bracket. Any help is appreiated.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM
jlalanas
Elder User
jlalanas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maybe the issue is the track bar bushing has got some play in it?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM
bde250
New User
I'll try tightening that bolt, no rattles or anything though

Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM
jlalanas
Elder User
Originally Posted by bde250 View Post
I'll try tightening that bolt, no rattles or anything though
After all that you've done, I might just get rid of that track bar bracket and get an adjustable track bar (carli, lewis, rough country).

How many miles on you truck?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM
bde250
New User
Just check and its tight. 12,800 miles. Probably going to go that route

Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM
BGMSPD
Elder User
BGMSPD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm pondering the same option as I still have bump steer. I'm actually waiting on my sway bar drop brackets to see if that makes any difference what so ever. I've previously installed radius arm drop brackets and have had the castor adjusted numerous times to as high as 8+ degrees to try and resolve a bunch of steering issues to no avail. Took the brackets off and aired the tires back up to 60 psi and it behaved much better. For some reason airing down the tires has caused me more steering issues. So unless the sway bar brackets help tremendously I'm going back to the stock bracket and going with an adjustable track bar as well. I like the Lewis bar however I've never actually reached anyone there via phone or email after number attempts.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 AM
jlalanas
Elder User
Originally Posted by BGMSPD View Post
I'm pondering the same option as I still have bump steer. I'm actually waiting on my sway bar drop brackets to see if that makes any difference what so ever. I've previously installed radius arm drop brackets and have had the castor adjusted numerous times to as high as 8+ degrees to try and resolve a bunch of steering issues to no avail. Took the brackets off and aired the tires back up to 60 psi and it behaved much better. For some reason airing down the tires has caused me more steering issues. So unless the sway bar brackets help tremendously I'm going back to the stock bracket and going with an adjustable track bar as well. I like the Lewis bar however I've never actually reached anyone there via phone or email after number attempts.
Regarding the lewis bar, I hear they are good quality and do get a lot of good feedback here on the site on the product itself. Communication with the shop, timeliness of shipping is definitely an issue. I ordered mine on 2/27, finally shipped early this week after a few follow up calls/emails.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:53 AM
bde250
New User
Ordered an adjustable track bar which I'm going to try with the track bar relocation bracket. Hopefully will allow for better fine adjustments. I will say I'm so far disappointed with the fox ATS stabilizer. Waited for weeks to get it and its not that great. Feels like a rolling motion through the steering over some bumps or roadway imperfections. We'll see how the adjustable bar and the sway bar drop brackets work out. I've also tried all different air pressures.
On a side note, the last place I took my truck to be aligned suggested a tire rotation may help, as the front tires may have worn in odd manner causing some of the steering imperfections.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM
jlalanas
Elder User
I was noticing that rolling feeling with the FOX ATS as well. That has gone away post level/new track bar/increased caster. I'm not sure which of those caused it to go away. I think it may be your track bar or possibly tire wear.

If you're going the adj'd track bar route, you may want to consider putting the stock track bar bracket back on. Not sure if it really matters, but I think I would be included to do that.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 PM
BGMSPD
Elder User
BGMSPD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered an adjustable track bar which I'm going to try with the track bar relocation bracket.
I thought it was one or the other but not both? I know for me I'm limited as I only have a 2" level so some of the adjustable track bars are too long to even use with only 2".

Old 03-21-2019, 02:17 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User
04TXLightning is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the sway bar drop brackets help. But mine was never so bad that I couldn't let go of the wheel.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM
jlalanas
Elder User
I thought it was one or the other but not both? I know for me I'm limited as I only have a 2" level so some of the adjustable track bars are too long to even use with only 2".
You're right, I called Carli and their's is too long to use with anything less than 2.5in of lift. Rough Country works (I have that installed now). According to Lewis, their's works from 0-4.5in of lift w/o a relocation bracket. Not sure about any others.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:55 PM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered an adjustable track bar which I'm going to try with the track bar relocation bracket. .
Do not do this. the point of an adjustable one is to NOT have a relocation bracket.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:31 PM
Spooledsrt
Senior User
Spooledsrt is starting off with a positive reputation.
what size lift do you have and what radius arm drop brackets?

Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM
bde250
New User
Rotated the tires today, that did nothing. In addition to installing the fox ats as opposed to the pressurized single ifp, if I let go of the wheel it turns slightly on its own to the right, causing me to have to hold the steering wheel at center.
Adjustable track bar is on the way, I'll have that installed with the stock bracket and have it aligned again for the 6th time. It feels like this small lift has nickel and dime the crap outta me. Not going to drive the truck until all the parts arrive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.