Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keypad actually usefull

Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keypad actually usefull

Never understood why the door keypad entry, when ( on XLT ) key is still needed to start engine. Realized that I can hide spare key inside cab, lock truck with Fob, and use keypad in emergency (lost 1st key ) to unlock and get spare key. Been trying to find a magnetic key holder, that weather resistent to hide key under bumpers till now.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 AM
NorEasterMA
The Lighting Guy
NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's also handy for locking your truck while it's running with the keys in it while you run in to grab a coffee in the bitter winter. Just sayin

Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 AM
ytechie
Junior User
ytechie is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck was optioned with the safe option in the center console. Never thought I would use that, but man is it awesome. Parked in a big city, throw your valuables in there including the keys. Same with the gym. Keys and wallet locked in there.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
dnewton3 has a good reputation on FTE.dnewton3 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 7591250sd View Post
Never understood why the door keypad entry, when ( on XLT ) key is still needed to start engine. Realized that I can hide spare key inside cab, lock truck with Fob, and use keypad in emergency (lost 1st key ) to unlock and get spare key. Been trying to find a magnetic key holder, that weather resistent to hide key under bumpers till now.
My 2018 XL F250 did not come with the "Securicode Keypad"; I bought one and installed it.
My 2018 Taurus's both have the same.
Our two Grand Marquis also have the keypad.
I will not have a vehicle without the keypad. Makes life too easy ... Lock while running. Store key in vehicle (out of sight) rather than worry about losing it at a sports park, while camping/hiking, drops out of my pocket at Dr's office, etc ...

The issue with the proximity keyfob is that you have to take it with you; the risk is that your leave it someone by accident (or worse, lose it). Never going to be a problem with my vehicles. Leave the key in it, lock 'er up, and she'll be right there ready when I return.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 AM
WXboy
Postmaster
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
I thought the same thing when I got my truck with a keypad on the door for the first time. "When the heck would you ever use THAT?"

Well, after a few weeks I fell in love with it. One of the best features ever.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 AM
maypo59
Senior User
maypo59 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have not had a vehicle without the key pad since '99.. Anytime we go anywhere I wouldn't want to lose the keys.. hunting, hiking, mountain biking etc etc.. just toss the keys in the truck, hit the last two keys to lock. Know you won't lose your keys.

We like the concept so much we added it to our last camper, our current camper came with it.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I don't use my keypad often but when I do, I REALLY need it. Unfortunately, I use it so infrequently that I A) Forget the code and B) forget the keystrokes that do what I want.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Dwightdr
Junior User
Dwightdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine doesn't have the mfg keypad but has anyone tried this one?

https://accessories.ford.com/actuator-asy.html

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
That's not worth it, just add the door keypad it's easy enough.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
ATC_F350
Senior User
ATC_F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got my truck and really like the keypad. I've already adapted to leaving keys, I use to carry around in my pocket, in the truck. The convenience of being able to leave it running and grabbing food or whatever is nice.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.
I use it when I am out racing...truck sits in the pits and I can give everyone the code to get in without giving away my keys.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 AM
ATC_F350
Senior User
ATC_F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Dwightdr View Post
Mine doesn't have the mfg keypad but has anyone tried this one?

https://accessories.ford.com/actuator-asy.html
If that works with your vehicle, $85 is cheap.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM
moynihan1129
Senior User
moynihan1129 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am the same as all of you. When I had my first F150 with it, I had no idea what I would use it for. I have gotten in the habit of leaving my keys in the truck now when I go in for a coffee, gym, etc. When I bought my super duty, I programmed the code to match that of the 150 I traded in.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 AM
TeddyD
Senior User
TeddyD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dnewton3 View Post
My 2018 XL F250 did not come with the "Securicode Keypad"; I bought one and installed it.
My 2018 Taurus's both have the same.
Our two Grand Marquis also have the keypad.
I will not have a vehicle without the keypad. Makes life too easy ... Lock while running. Store key in vehicle (out of sight) rather than worry about losing it at a sports park, while camping/hiking, drops out of my pocket at Dr's office, etc ...

The issue with the proximity keyfob is that you have to take it with you; the risk is that your leave it someone by accident (or worse, lose it). Never going to be a problem with my vehicles. Leave the key in it, lock 'er up, and she'll be right there ready when I return.
I have the proximity fob and can leave it in the truck. If I lock the truck using the keypad, the proximity feature wonít allow you to simply stick your hand in the handle and unlock the truck. Itís the same as having an actual key inside the vehicle. Very smart engineering by Ford on that feature.

I love the keypad too. I use it all the time. Is was one of the features I was most excited to have when I switched over to Ford. Forgot the keys in the house and want to grab something out of the truck, use the keypad. Leave the truck parked at an oil lease and quading in to the forest, you guessed it, lock the keys in the truck.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM
acadianbob
Elder User
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When your dog locks the doors on you, you'll be glad you have the pad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.