1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

anavrinIV's '56 F-100 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,470 Posts
I understand about not storing them on your work computer....

I have to do the same on my desktop, download from Google photos. But on my tablet or phone I can get pictures directly from Google photos....

Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got around to downloading some pictures. It's not everything I posted but presents the larger picture. I have finished wiring the engine (well, ignition) and need to hook up the new key switch, reinstall the starter, and cable up a battery then I should hear it crank over this week! As long as nothing breaks, that is. We're a good ways from it running on its own but turning over would be a good start. Yesterday I cleaned up the carb after a disastrous idea to cut a bunch of wood in my enclosed garage, cleaned up the engine just a bit, installed new plugs and wires, bolted the carb back on, got a new air cleaner, and re-ran all the lines. The ford racing plug wires are nice parts but, IMO, too long for this engine. I tried to keep each bank on similar lengths but that means the driver's side, on average, has much longer wires. I'll get some separators to tidy it up soon.

Anyway here's some of the good stuff

New tank painted and installed

New tank installed with a new fuel sending unit

Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump replaces the old mechanical pump

New mounts just welded up

New Passenger side engine mount (before paint)

New driver's side engine mount (before paint)

Getting close to cranking over

All new electrics ready to run

Overhead shot

Old 03-16-2020, 09:46 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,676 Posts
It looks like you put your fuel tank in up side down, never seen that set up before..where is the fill neck..?

Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
It looks like you put your fuel tank in up side down, never seen that set up before..where is the fill neck..?
It's in the correct way! The tank is specified for a '75 Granada, direct replacement for the one I pulled out (the whole car was clearly used as a donor). The filler is under a flap in the bed. The flap I recognize as the same '90s F150 door that I had on a '95 at one point, but relocated. See pic below. Not the most convenient location but I was stuck with that tank and fill location unless I wanted to do some major surgery (I didn't)

Fuel filler in the bed floor

Old 03-16-2020, 11:21 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,676 Posts
I had no idea, I thought when I seen the lines coming from the bottom something was wrong. I learned something today. Thanks..

Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Coming right along!!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Coming right along!!
It's moving a bit faster than I thought it would but there's still a laundry list of small jobs and parts to buy. I've read through your build though and really can't complain about the work I have to do, mine is just a touch-up compared to a cab-off repair.

I saw in your thread you had at least one '56 donor truck, any chance you have some extra parts? I need a few interior bits that looked like they would be in good shape from that old 350 wrecker. If you're interested I'll PM you

Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 543 Likes on 310 Posts
Yea I can see these pics , they're much better than my imagination .lol Looking good I wish I was anywhere near as far along .
PS it looks like your wires are long enough for the holders that route everthing around the front .

Old 03-17-2020, 11:21 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by EBEAR
Yea I can see these pics , they're much better than my imagination .lol Looking good I wish I was anywhere near as far along .
PS it looks like your wires are long enough for the holders that route everthing around the front .
I came to that conclusion yesterday and have been looking at looms/separators. I will need to do a bit more work on which wire goes where but that should be pretty easy

Old 03-19-2020, 06:21 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by anavrinIV
It's moving a bit faster than I thought it would but there's still a laundry list of small jobs and parts to buy. I've read through your build though and really can't complain about the work I have to do, mine is just a touch-up compared to a cab-off repair.

I saw in your thread you had at least one '56 donor truck, any chance you have some extra parts? I need a few interior bits that looked like they would be in good shape from that old 350 wrecker. If you're interested I'll PM you
Not really, That wrecker was a real rust bucket after sitting in a field since 1971! Funny how digital pics make thing look better- they really do. Check with Kevin - Bigwin56 he has a bunch of stuff and buys/sell ships etc..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Great News! It cranks!

I have a video but can't seem to get it to download. It's entirely unexciting save for the oil that drips out where I forgot to put on a new filter (oops). That problem has been fixed though and I know that my wiring (so far) is good. Last night was the first time I ever turned a key in this truck and had it do anything at all.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Did a thing this past weekend.....

Instead of staying home I went to the junk yard and pulled 2 sets of GT40P heads. A buddy and I took 2 '98 Explorers from complete engine bays to headless blocks in about 4.5 hours. I considered pulling whole engines but without a way to move them it would have been a fruitless effort. I can haul all sorts of stuff in my hatchback but getting a 600lb engine in there, much less 2, would have been a trick.

I plan to sell one set of these and keep the other for when I need something fun to do. Should open up the engine nicely, even better with a bit more cam

Best flowing heads Ford ever put on a 302

Old 03-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Waygonner
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Nice find! Those are great heads.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 PM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Been a while since my last update, but the truck now runs!

Still a couple leaks to sort out but as of a couple weeks ago the truck turns on and off with a simple key turn for the first time in a decade.

Steering parts are on order, new column and everything to mount it in. I also have seats, not the ones I planned on but these are free and will fit once I get a proper riser base made up. I re-mounted the rear axle yesterday and have new shock pins and proper shocks on order. Wiring is run to the back of the truck and the tail lights are being refreshed (new paint, light sockets, gaskets).

With that I can give it a first shakedown run. Afterward there is plenty left to do but having it run and drive will feel like a big accomplishment given where it started.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Very nice work you have done on your truck! Lots of detailing but you had a great truck with good body to start. I cant imagin the work and time guys get into a complete truck project!
Thanks for the good pictures too!
Regards,
Chris

Quick Reply: anavrinIV's '56 F-100 project