1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

anavrinIV's '56 F-100 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
anavrinIV's '56 F-100 project

About 4 months ago I introduced myself and my truck in this thread. Up until this point my journey has just been getting the truck home - without the ability to run I was stuck in limbo with it but the knowledge and ability of a race shop mechanic and fabricator set me straight and this red '56 made the 300 mile trek into my garage this past weekend:

So what is it, and where is it going?

For starters here's what I know...

Overall its condition is excellent. The body is (at least visually) rust free and there are no major dings or dents. The paint is not new or perfect but is very serviceable. On the hood I can see some pitting and a few bubbles that have cracked, and one of the fenders and the cab show a bit of bubbling as well. This truck was never going to be a show vehicle for me and a restoration is not in the cards either so it will remain as-is.

With that in mind, there are other pros in to this as well
-The engine is a Ford 302. As of yet the year is unknown but it is a carbureted model.
- A Mustang II front suspension with disc brakes has been installed. Big plus here, no doubt
- Gas tank has been relocated to behind the rear axle. The filler is under a flap in the bed which is not ideal, but not terribly problematic either.

That's the broad strokes on the pros. Now for the list of "needs work":

As previously mentioned the wiring is a mess. As far as I can tell nothing electrical works properly, and a few things are downright dangerous. All of that will be fixed. 4 years of sitting has put a nice varnish on the carb which now needs a thorough cleaning, as will the gas tank and fuel lines. I will probably just replace the lines. While everything is apart I'll pull the intake manifold and valve covers and, if need be, the heads to check out the bottom end. I'll get around to pulling the oil pan as well.

The interior is from something else entirely and will need.....something. The seats aren't right for this truck and the driving position suffers as a result. The carpet is fitted from I don't even know what and is a bit worse for wear, but for now all of this works and I plan to leave it until the truck runs and drives. In that vein, though, the steering wheel has a lot of play and not just when it's turned - it rocks around on the column in a very offputting (and probably dangerous) way. The rack is a GM (clone?) as I was previously told and I hope to move the bracket and get it a bit further from my knees. The only key is currently stuck in the ignition and when the key is turned to "on" the wipers go full speed - nothing I have done changes this.

Aftermarket gauges and a single DIN radio adorn the dash. I have no idea if any of it works.

The doors close but the driver's side takes enough force to knock the window out of place, which is exactly what happened and that is broken.

The hood hinges, primarily the passenger's side one, don't function properly and only hold the hood open about 18". Maybe this is normal? It makes working on things....difficult. I have removed the hood.

That's what I have for now. Pic dump to follow.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
My advice: do one thing at a time. Don't go blowing apart 20 different areas of the truck because it does come apart a whole lot easier than it goes back together. What is supposed to be a few months/ year project turns into 10-25 year project or the failed project that I end up buying.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,115 Likes on 2,648 Posts
That doesn't look like a Mustang front suspension to me and I doubt there is rack and pinion by the looks of that steering box. First thing I would do is rip out all that wiring and start over before it turns into a fireball. It is a very solid looking truck..

Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
My advice: do one thing at a time. Don't go blowing apart 20 different areas of the truck because it does come apart a whole lot easier than it goes back together. What is supposed to be a few months/ year project turns into 10-25 year project or the failed project that I end up buying.
Step 1 is and always has been a re-wire and top end cleanup. Once it starts and runs reliably I plan to start the refresh

Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
That doesn't look like a Mustang front suspension to me and I doubt there is rack and pinion by the looks of that steering box. First thing I would do is rip out all that wiring and start over before it turns into a fireball. It is a very solid looking truck..
Thanks, I haven't looked too closely at it all yet. I will get more pics once I have better access to it

Wiring is a mess and I'm surprised this thing hasn't burned to a crisp yet after seeing a few of the routing choices

Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I'd hate to see that happen, like I said it is a very nice truck..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to this section of FTE. Good looking truck with a real hack wiring job. I do believe I would disconnect the battery any time the truck was unattended while in the garage.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
That's good advice Ray, one thing loosing a truck but to loose your home along would be horrible..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Welcome to this section of FTE. Good looking truck with a real hack wiring job. I do believe I would disconnect the battery any time the truck was unattended while in the garage.
I unhooked it as soon as it got parked

Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
It looks like a Volare frt suspension.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 397 Likes on 185 Posts
Is this a motor mount ?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by yamagrant
It looks like a Volare frt suspension.
You seem to be correct! I saw a- arms and made a bad assumption but the steering box looks correct to a Volare setup, and it explains the lack of coils. I'll have to dig into it more later.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Originally Posted by avf100
Is this a motor mount ?
That's the theory. It will be changed before this truck drives again.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Here is a 56 F100 chassis with a 302 and a Volare IFS...

Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 PM
anavrinIV
Junior User
Did some of the tedious work tonight...labeled wires, took pictures to remember where things go, pulled the radio and a few other bits. I was working on the steering column but got stuck at the lock ring removal. A quick internet search brought me to a page showing how to tighten the wobble in the column (a problem I have) but more importantly it showed me how to disassemble the whole column. Amazing how much information is out there just waiting to be found! I pulled a bunch of wires back into the cab for removal later and will spend tonight doing some research on what exactly I'm looking at under the now removed hood.

Oh, I also got the key out of the ignition for the first time.

I'll post some pictures later asking about things I see but for now here's a shot of my garage buddy

That's Piper, our 6 month old goldendoodle

Quick Reply: anavrinIV's '56 F-100 project