Looking at a idi - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Looking at a idi

Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looking at a idi

Got a few questions, for starters I've found a cheap idi I think I'll be going to pick up this weekend. Its $300 4wd 4 speed. Dude said the 4wd doesn't work, and it's been sitting for 1 year & 3 months.
he said he'd try to start it for me, so I'm gunna go look at it this weekend, and if it's a complete truck, engine, tranny, transfer case, etc aren't missing even if it doesn't run I'll probably trailer it home.

what transmission are in these trucks?

if it needs rebuilt, where can I get new parts?

What's the max tire size i can put on without cutting it up?

for those of you who have lifted your trucks, thoughts on lifts? I'm thinking a 4" kit. Sense there around $750-800 shipped.
I haven't seen but 1 truck with modern day 20's that stick out and aggressive tires like the new trucks, that's what I'd like to do, get some take offs off a newer ford, thoughts?

I plan to pull the bed, paint frame, then fix and repair body / repaint it. I already have a color in mind.
I know the ip, injectors, lines etc, are fairly cheap to replace in these trucks, less than $1200 for all of it including glow plugs. (Yes I'll get OEM plugs)
you guys have anything you'd like to share with someone new to a idi, I'm not new to diesels, just needed something that's not a dually.
links to recommended transmission rebuild kits/ parts and other things you'd recommend are highly appreciated.
thank you for your time.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
You did not say what year.
As a guess T18 or T19
Dave - - - -

Old 03-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Diesels with 4 speeds came with T19 transmissions. They are pretty tough, doubt you will have to mess with the trans. You can probably run 33 inch tires on it with possibly a little rub on full lock turning. A 4 inch lift will let you run 35 inch tires with plenty of room to spare.

You can't run any wheels off a Ford truck after 1999. That's when they went to a metric bolt pattern. If you want to run wide tires that stick way out beyond the truck that is up to you. I will warn you they will ruin a nice paint job very quickly, and you can never keep it clean from the tires throwing road dirt up on the side of the truck all the time. Being cool has it's drawbacks sometimes.

Changing the injection pump can be a simple process, but getting back in time properly requires some special equipment that is getting hard to find and expensive.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.NotSoNicely has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thank you, it's a 86.
does it have to be timed properly?
do you have pictures of this hard to find to find equipment?
I'm not going to gaurntee anything, but I work at a machine shop. I might be able to make these tools.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:51 PM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
Also in case the tranny / clutch is messed up, do you have links to parts?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:58 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NotSoNicely View Post
Thank you, it's a 86.
does it have to be timed properly?
do you have pictures of this hard to find to find equipment?
I'm not going to gaurntee anything, but I work at a machine shop. I might be able to make these tools.
It is electronic equipment so not exactly something you can whip up in a machine shop.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
To time the IP you need a piezo-electric detector that you clamp on the #1 injector line. Then you can hook up a timing light to the detector. I haven't bought the detector yet and I've owned my truck for almost 2 years. You can static time the IP, but you need the detector to do it properly.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
How much that run ya?

Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Here are one of the few piezo adapters left. I think Ferret quit making theirs.

Gunson Diesel Adaptor For Timing Lights - 77089

Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
Do I have to have it timed to be able to run it?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Do I have to have it timed to be able to run it?
No you can static time it basically just line up the line on the pump and the timing gear cover. And that will get it close enough to start and drive it to get it timed at a shop.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM
NotSoNicely
Senior User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
No you can static time it basically just line up the line on the pump and the timing gear cover. And that will get it close enough to start and drive it to get it timed at a shop.
so that's more like a temporary fix, but take it to a shop to get properly timed?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
so that's more like a temporary fix, but take it to a shop to get properly timed?
That is the static timing to get it started and take it to shop to get it done dynamically . The marked setting is conservative and is fine to drive on but you will be leaving power and fuel economy off the table.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Probably not a bad idea to have a diesel mechanic familiar with the 6.9 set the timing. Usually you can get more than 150,000 miles out of a complete tune up which would include injector pump and injectors. No need to replace glow plugs unless they test bad. Besides the timing there is also the adjustment of the injector pump which also requires special tools.

Probably if the engine was running when it was parked it will fire up and run.

BB2

Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a thread on our site about the IP timing tool:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ow-what-4.html

From my experience, you will have a difficult time finding a diesel service shop to time and adjust your IP. I went to multiple shops in OKC and I was either told that they don't service mechanically injected diesels, or they just wanted to just sell me new parts instead of troubleshooting the problem.

FWIW, you will also want a pyrometer on your truck. Here's the one I installed on my truck. It works great!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2654/overview/

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.