Building Dream Truck, no spending limits, have a few decisions left

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 PM
jamiel100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building Dream Truck, no spending limits, have a few decisions left

Hi All,
This is my first post so please bear with me and I am by no means an expert. This is going to be my daily driver and will likely never see any off roading (although I haven't really tried it much either so who knows). The temps here get down to -50. Im going for look, reliability, fun (speed) and a comfortable ride. I am willing to pay for it. Any advise that anyone can give me on the below questions would be great!

So far: 2019 Platinum, Roush supercharger, 6" BDS lift w/traction bars and UCAs (or Ready lift 7"), Stainless works headers and exhaust, bumpers, hood, vicowl, rack, side steps, EBC rotors with Power Stop calipers, regearing to 4.56 (or 4.88), 35" (or 37") tires, Bilistein 5100s, Atlas leaf springs instead of lift blocks, Nguage tuner (a few other smaller goodies)

1- If I go with 37" tires, is there anyway to get the ride quality/relaibility back? How bad are these vs 35"?
2- Thinking of putting on Hellwig front and rear sway bars, RCV IFS axles, hydraulic bump stops, RPG tie rods, oil seperator, transmission + oil coolers but I am not clear on how much these would help me. I don't expect that I neeeed these things but figured that they could help with reliability because of the 6" lift and supercharger.
3- 4.56 vs 4.88 gears. How bad would the increased RPMs be for engine/transmission? Will the truck be faster than stock off the line?(not taking supercharger into account though)

Any thoughts?
Thank You!!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
So your looking to spend $60,000+ for a new truck, then dissemble it and spend another $20-30,000 modifying it.
I have no words that I can print here.

Yes I do! I advice you contact Roush Performance and have them build you a truck

Old 03-14-2019, 03:59 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
All I can say is it must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away.....

Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Buy a Raptor from Hennessey or Roush. That having been said, I know a lot of guys like to build, or have built, a truck of their own.

On your build list I would go with Fox or King coilovers instead of the Bilsteins. You are adding big weight and big power.

Consider a Brembo brake kit instead of upgrading the stock brakes, for the same reason above.

Your idea to change the gearing is a good one. The new lower gears will give you a similar feel to having the stick size tires and gears.

If you are supercharging a 5.0, definitely get a catch can. Look at the thread here titled “Ford replacing 5.0s”

Good luck with your plans. Please don’t think that you’re building a truck you can “launch” like some *******es on the other forum.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
All I can say is it must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away.....
Why is he throwing it away? If he can afford all of these modifications and this will make him happier than with a stock truck why is that a problem for you? Lots of guys here have trucks with many mods on them. I say go for it and also welcome to the forum....

Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think it's awesome, can't wait to see it.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Lebowskii
Why is he throwing it away? If he can afford all of these modifications and this will make him happier than with a stock truck why is that a problem for you? Lots of guys here have trucks with many mods on them. I say go for it and also welcome to the forum....
Never said it was a problem for me. I just find it a waste. Just like making all the mods on a Harley. Nobody will want to buy it in the end because it's not what THEY want. I lost a bunch on my first Harley making it mine. Plus the truck itself just lost what? 30% of its value just for driving it off the lot (The higher the trim level the faster the depreciation). As the old saying goes "Chrome won't getcha home". And I know there was no mention of chrome.....

Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Doesn't Rousch have a deal with some SVT dealers to sell trucks like this direct? That would be the way to do it.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jamiel100
Hi All,
This is my first post so please bear with me and I am by no means an expert. This is going to be my daily driver and will likely never see any off roading (although I haven't really tried it much either so who knows). The temps here get down to -50. Im going for look, reliability, fun (speed) and a comfortable ride. I am willing to pay for it. Any advise that anyone can give me on the below questions would be great!

So far: 2019 Platinum, Roush supercharger, 6" BDS lift w/traction bars and UCAs (or Ready lift 7"), Stainless works headers and exhaust, bumpers, hood, vicowl, rack, side steps, EBC rotors with Power Stop calipers, regearing to 4.56 (or 4.88), 35" (or 37") tires, Bilistein 5100s, Atlas leaf springs instead of lift blocks, Nguage tuner (a few other smaller goodies)

1- If I go with 37" tires, is there anyway to get the ride quality/relaibility back? How bad are these vs 35"?
2- Thinking of putting on Hellwig front and rear sway bars, RCV IFS axles, hydraulic bump stops, RPG tie rods, oil seperator, transmission + oil coolers but I am not clear on how much these would help me. I don't expect that I neeeed these things but figured that they could help with reliability because of the 6" lift and supercharger.
3- 4.56 vs 4.88 gears. How bad would the increased RPMs be for engine/transmission? Will the truck be faster than stock off the line?(not taking supercharger into account though)

Any thoughts?
Thank You!!
Yes, this might be a “dream” truck for you but, based on your first paragraph and comparing it with everything else you said, you’re totally contradicting yourself.

With that being said, start over and be realistic because all of the modifications you mentioned above will by no means increase longevity, ride quality, mileage etc, etc, etc.....not to mention your warranty be toast.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
If you want to spend some awesome money on a truck, you could hardly go wrong on a Hennessey Velociraptor 6x6.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:06 PM
JKBrad
The guy asked for some help and ideas. We really need some more people on this board because it’s getting kind of stagnant. So let’s not scare someone off by slamming him and his ideas.

If we all drove the same truck that a few approved of and deamed to be adequate, we wouldn’t be here.

And yeah, I have an F150 with some mods and a Roadglide too. Both a silly waste of money when I could have bought a stripped Frontier and a Rebel 250.

OP, you already started a thread about this. You can post in it and it’ll bump it to the top. No reason to start a new one.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JKBrad
.......And yeah, I have an F150 with some mods and a Roadglide too. Both a silly waste of money when I could have bought a stripped Frontier and a Rebel 250.
A few mods here and there are one thing. To take a $60K truck and totally dismantle it and rebuild it by adding another $20K - $30K in stuff that nobody else is ever going to want is a different story.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 PM
JKBrad
Well maybe we should point him in the way of sensible mods. Or how to do things right instead of not at all. That’s what I’m getting at.

Or he could be a teenage dreamer. But why scare the young guys away?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
A few mods here and there are one thing. To take a $60K truck and totally dismantle it and rebuild it by adding another $20K - $30K in stuff that nobody else is ever going to want is a different story.
LOL...you should hang around my boating buddies, his spending total is the cost of ONE of two engines for these boats not including prop, I won't even get into the cost of the boat. If he wants to spend why bust his chops, IMO help the guy or don't bother.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't want to scare anyone off, but even Bill Gates has a spending limit on what he'll pay for something.

Best advice I can give is to tell him to call Roush, Hennessy or other specialty truck suppliers, tell them want he wants and get their advice on what would be the best combination of parts to make the truck look good, ride good, perform well, be dependable and still have a warranty.
I'd rather he did that than purchase a new truck then do thousands of dollars worth of mods only to end up with a poor handling, rough riding, non performing, undependable pile of junk with no warranty.

I,ve had a supercharged truck, the supercharger is just one part of the combination of parts and tuning needed to make the truck perform well and still be somewhat dependable.

Quick Reply: Building Dream Truck, no spending limits, have a few decisions left