2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I don't like Painted Bumpers ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
My last truck had painted bumpers and I was always fixing chips. The truck I now have has chrome bumpers but I always planned on getting a deer bumper and having it bedlined black to match the rest of the trim but didn't want to spend the money. I think painted(or black)looks better but it's high maintenance.

My wife's last two F150s have had painted bumpers and the '12 held up pretty good but on her '18 I've already fixed more chips in the 9k it has than the entire 85k we put on the old one.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by linekin
C’mon guys, they’re trucks! I don’t care what they cost, it’s still a truck! That’s right, some of you don’t use them as such... my bad.
funny. Within 1000 miles Ive taken this truck down some **** and no scratches yet and just one blown tire from hitting antlers on a poached deer someone left about 2 miles back into some decently rough trails. That pissed me off more than the tire. Scratched up the fender liner and I dont think anything else but i do need to wash the truck and inspect.

As far as scratches go no reason to screw up a nice truck and dont get lazy and know when you need to walk. Ive had plenty of nice work trucks that never had any major damages. Ive traded work trucks in that sat next to weekend warriors and mine looked plenty new. Its a tool and I need to get my money back so I can get a new one. Spray paint the trailer hitch and get the bed liner when you sell it.

Do the clear bra its a cheap investment. There is other things to worry about in life.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Barbero
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to see your bumper. I happen to love the look of painted bumpers, but yes, I did have the 3M clear bra applied within a few hours of taking delivery. But even that ride home before the 3M I was nervous... Kept plenty of space between me and the next vehicle...

Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM
MBaldo
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jointasset

How did they do the clear bra over the letters in “Super Duty” on the hood since they are indented?
I'm having a clear bra installed on my new F350 tomorrow. My installer indicated he cant do it over the Super Duty letters. He has to cut around them. I was surprised to hear that, but didnt argue. It's also getting a ceramic wax immediately after the clear bra install.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM
MBaldo
Senior User
Originally Posted by rewillia

All depends upon your installer and the clear bra material quality, ie on mine they made the clear bra cover and seal inside the super duty stamped in the hood.
Would you happen to know what material they used on your clear bra? My installer indicated he will have to cut out around the letters. It's getting installed tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Originally Posted by MBaldo
Would you happen to know what material they used on your clear bra? My installer indicated he will have to cut out around the letters. It's getting installed tomorrow.
The material used was XPEL™'s Ultimate Plus which was installed by Zenith Auto Works in N. Houston, Tx..

Note: they never stated a need to cut around the SD stamped lettering in the hood and just did it (all one piece and part of the full hood section of material).

They also CeramicPro™'d the truck (Gold package) and had the truck for a total of 8 days to complete everything. Looks Great!

I'm picking the truck up today and will take and post some photos when time permits.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Did they do the ceramic coating on your glass?

They missed that on my truck I believe.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Originally Posted by Joe T
Did they do the ceramic coating on your glass?

They missed that on my truck I believe.
Yes, all exterior glass & mirrors including pano-sunroof.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM
XPEL
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank You

Originally Posted by rewillia
The material used was XPEL™'s Ultimate Plus which was installed by Zenith Auto Works in N. Houston, Tx..

Note: they never stated a need to cut around the SD stamped lettering in the hood and just did it (all one piece and part of the full hood section of material).

They also CeramicPro™'d the truck (Gold package) and had the truck for a total of 8 days to complete everything. Looks Great!

I'm picking the truck up today and will take and post some photos when time permits.
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your SD! Don't hesitate to reach out should you ever have any questions or need anything.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do like XPEL for cars but trucks that are driven where I go lasts about 2 to 3 trips before it looks like scratched up shrink wrap on a on a package. It is just too soft.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
I do like XPEL for cars but trucks that are driven where I go lasts about 2 to 3 trips before it looks like scratched up shrink wrap on a on a package. It is just too soft.
I would hate to see what your bumper and hood look like without some sort of clear bra then. I have had great luck with the XPEL. Colorado passes in the winter are pretty nasty and really take a toll on painted surfaces. I spend a lot of time on the roads chasing snow\snowmobiling and travelling back and forth to Denver. I have had better luck with the XPEL than the clear bra materials I have had in the past. Maybe I am getting a different product than what you are talking about. I know on vehicles without it I have owned the painted bumpers and hoods are pitted like crazy after a winters worth of driving.

Sam

Old 03-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SESWIM
I would hate to see what your bumper and hood look like without some sort of clear bra then. I have had great luck with the XPEL. Colorado passes in the winter are pretty nasty and really take a toll on painted surfaces. I spend a lot of time on the roads chasing snow\snowmobiling and travelling back and forth to Denver. I have had better luck with the XPEL than the clear bra materials I have had in the past. Maybe I am getting a different product than what you are talking about. I know on vehicles without it I have owned the painted bumpers and hoods are pitted like crazy after a winters worth of driving.

Sam
Off road --- on road is easy peasy. Yes keep carnauba on it once a month use Pinnacle Black Label Synergy for that, try to do like I did today and apply it the day before I go to the ranch. My fender flares do get scratches just because the plastic is softer than the mesquite, cedar etc. some alive some dead I have to drive over and through. Paint looks awesome but the front air dam has a couple of holes and some whacks in it lol. Maintaining a vehicle is one of my hobbies. Have many thousands of dollars in equipment used on custom painted cars to motorcycles. Do not show anymore but the truck gets polished, sealed and waxed like everything else. You would be surprised how much damage is prevented to the finish that way.

Took this in town after driving back into Carlsbad. Note the front air dam up close. I always treat the plastic as well with dressing because it cleans up so much easier and helps prevent scratches. 24k on this truck in 8 months will be almost 26k in 4 days....

Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
50stangpower
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the new paint is much softer. I am not happy with it either.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 PM
F250inPA
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2019 Platinum has some nice paint chips with only 7k on it.
I regret not getting a clear bra on it immediately.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM
XPEL
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XPEL

Originally Posted by F250inPA
My 2019 Platinum has some nice paint chips with only 7k on it.
I regret not getting a clear bra on it immediately.
It's not too late. You could get the existing ones touched up and then protected with clear bra to prevent even more. You'll get the protection you want but you'll be surprised at how much easier the film is to clean than your paint. Bug guts, bird droppings, etc will come off much easier.

Quick Reply: I don't like Painted Bumpers ..