I don't like Painted Bumpers .. - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

I don't like Painted Bumpers ..

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I don't like Painted Bumpers ..

 
  #31  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 PM
fordman19762003's Avatar
fordman19762003
fordman19762003 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,135
fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My last truck had painted bumpers and I was always fixing chips. The truck I now have has chrome bumpers but I always planned on getting a deer bumper and having it bedlined black to match the rest of the trim but didn't want to spend the money. I think painted(or black)looks better but it's high maintenance.

My wife's last two F150s have had painted bumpers and the '12 held up pretty good but on her '18 I've already fixed more chips in the 9k it has than the entire 85k we put on the old one.
 
  #32  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Joe T
Joe T is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 741
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by linekin View Post
C’mon guys, they’re trucks! I don’t care what they cost, it’s still a truck! That’s right, some of you don’t use them as such... my bad.
funny. Within 1000 miles Ive taken this truck down some **** and no scratches yet and just one blown tire from hitting antlers on a poached deer someone left about 2 miles back into some decently rough trails. That pissed me off more than the tire. Scratched up the fender liner and I dont think anything else but i do need to wash the truck and inspect.

As far as scratches go no reason to screw up a nice truck and dont get lazy and know when you need to walk. Ive had plenty of nice work trucks that never had any major damages. Ive traded work trucks in that sat next to weekend warriors and mine looked plenty new. Its a tool and I need to get my money back so I can get a new one. Spray paint the trailer hitch and get the bed liner when you sell it.

Do the clear bra its a cheap investment. There is other things to worry about in life.
 
  #33  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Barbero's Avatar
Barbero
Barbero is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Whidbey Island
Posts: 230
Barbero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to see your bumper. I happen to love the look of painted bumpers, but yes, I did have the 3M clear bra applied within a few hours of taking delivery. But even that ride home before the 3M I was nervous... Kept plenty of space between me and the next vehicle...
 
  #34  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM
MBaldo
MBaldo is online now
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 83
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Jointasset View Post

How did they do the clear bra over the letters in “Super Duty” on the hood since they are indented?
I'm having a clear bra installed on my new F350 tomorrow. My installer indicated he cant do it over the Super Duty letters. He has to cut around them. I was surprised to hear that, but didnt argue. It's also getting a ceramic wax immediately after the clear bra install.
 
  #35  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM
MBaldo
MBaldo is online now
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 83
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post


All depends upon your installer and the clear bra material quality, ie on mine they made the clear bra cover and seal inside the super duty stamped in the hood.
Would you happen to know what material they used on your clear bra? My installer indicated he will have to cut out around the letters. It's getting installed tomorrow.
 
  #36  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 AM
rewillia's Avatar
rewillia
rewillia is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 108
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MBaldo View Post
Would you happen to know what material they used on your clear bra? My installer indicated he will have to cut out around the letters. It's getting installed tomorrow.
The material used was XPEL™'s Ultimate Plus which was installed by Zenith Auto Works in N. Houston, Tx..

Note: they never stated a need to cut around the SD stamped lettering in the hood and just did it (all one piece and part of the full hood section of material).

They also CeramicPro™'d the truck (Gold package) and had the truck for a total of 8 days to complete everything. Looks Great!

I'm picking the truck up today and will take and post some photos when time permits.
 
  #37  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Joe T
Joe T is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 741
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did they do the ceramic coating on your glass?

They missed that on my truck I believe.
 
  #38  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM
rewillia's Avatar
rewillia
rewillia is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 108
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
Did they do the ceramic coating on your glass?

They missed that on my truck I believe.
Yes, all exterior glass & mirrors including pano-sunroof.
 
  #39  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM
XPEL's Avatar
XPEL
XPEL is online now
SPONSOR
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 22
XPEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank You

Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
The material used was XPEL™'s Ultimate Plus which was installed by Zenith Auto Works in N. Houston, Tx..

Note: they never stated a need to cut around the SD stamped lettering in the hood and just did it (all one piece and part of the full hood section of material).

They also CeramicPro™'d the truck (Gold package) and had the truck for a total of 8 days to complete everything. Looks Great!

I'm picking the truck up today and will take and post some photos when time permits.
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your SD! Don't hesitate to reach out should you ever have any questions or need anything.
 
__________________
XPEL, Inc
San Antonio, TX
www.XPEL.com
  #40  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Busa 1 Dave is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 666
Busa 1 Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do like XPEL for cars but trucks that are driven where I go lasts about 2 to 3 trips before it looks like scratched up shrink wrap on a on a package. It is just too soft.
 
  #41  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
SESWIM
SESWIM is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 387
SESWIM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave View Post
I do like XPEL for cars but trucks that are driven where I go lasts about 2 to 3 trips before it looks like scratched up shrink wrap on a on a package. It is just too soft.
I would hate to see what your bumper and hood look like without some sort of clear bra then. I have had great luck with the XPEL. Colorado passes in the winter are pretty nasty and really take a toll on painted surfaces. I spend a lot of time on the roads chasing snow\snowmobiling and travelling back and forth to Denver. I have had better luck with the XPEL than the clear bra materials I have had in the past. Maybe I am getting a different product than what you are talking about. I know on vehicles without it I have owned the painted bumpers and hoods are pitted like crazy after a winters worth of driving.

Sam
 
  #42  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Busa 1 Dave is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 666
Busa 1 Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SESWIM View Post
I would hate to see what your bumper and hood look like without some sort of clear bra then. I have had great luck with the XPEL. Colorado passes in the winter are pretty nasty and really take a toll on painted surfaces. I spend a lot of time on the roads chasing snow\snowmobiling and travelling back and forth to Denver. I have had better luck with the XPEL than the clear bra materials I have had in the past. Maybe I am getting a different product than what you are talking about. I know on vehicles without it I have owned the painted bumpers and hoods are pitted like crazy after a winters worth of driving.

Sam
Off road --- on road is easy peasy. Yes keep carnauba on it once a month use Pinnacle Black Label Synergy for that, try to do like I did today and apply it the day before I go to the ranch. My fender flares do get scratches just because the plastic is softer than the mesquite, cedar etc. some alive some dead I have to drive over and through. Paint looks awesome but the front air dam has a couple of holes and some whacks in it lol. Maintaining a vehicle is one of my hobbies. Have many thousands of dollars in equipment used on custom painted cars to motorcycles. Do not show anymore but the truck gets polished, sealed and waxed like everything else. You would be surprised how much damage is prevented to the finish that way.

Took this in town after driving back into Carlsbad. Note the front air dam up close. I always treat the plastic as well with dressing because it cleans up so much easier and helps prevent scratches. 24k on this truck in 8 months will be almost 26k in 4 days....


 
  #43  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
50stangpower
50stangpower is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
50stangpower is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the new paint is much softer. I am not happy with it either.
 
  #44  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 PM
F250inPA's Avatar
F250inPA
F250inPA is offline
New User
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
F250inPA is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2019 Platinum has some nice paint chips with only 7k on it.
I regret not getting a clear bra on it immediately.
 
  #45  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM
XPEL's Avatar
XPEL
XPEL is online now
SPONSOR
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 22
XPEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
XPEL

Originally Posted by F250inPA View Post
My 2019 Platinum has some nice paint chips with only 7k on it.
I regret not getting a clear bra on it immediately.
It's not too late. You could get the existing ones touched up and then protected with clear bra to prevent even more. You'll get the protection you want but you'll be surprised at how much easier the film is to clean than your paint. Bug guts, bird droppings, etc will come off much easier.
 
__________________
XPEL, Inc
San Antonio, TX
www.XPEL.com

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.