Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   I don't like Painted Bumpers .. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575619-i-dont-like-painted-bumpers.html)

stufarmer 03-12-2019 08:43 AM

I don't like Painted Bumpers ..

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...aeca00b308.jpg
This is what my Ft Bumper now looks like after a quick trip from Tampa to Houston and back. I could never find the time to get a Clear Bra applied, now I have the added expense of having it repainted before getting the Clear Bra done .. I'm so frik'n happy ..
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...53c8dd68cd.jpg

Spooledsrt 03-12-2019 08:55 AM

That sucks.

I dont like chrome bumpers, wanna trade?....lol

2009kr 03-12-2019 08:56 AM

Man, that's terrible. My painted bumper on my 2009 F150 with 145k miles has WAY less damage.

Mkos1980 03-12-2019 09:04 AM

I think the main issues is as of late is EPA has tighten the noose around paints. I have 2 chips in my ruby red that would have never happened with my mid 2000 trucks. GM and Ford. Both paint from both brands is so much more durable and thicker.

blueglide 03-12-2019 09:10 AM

Chrome :-X22

NYSE 03-12-2019 09:14 AM

I have chrome and less then 4k miles on my truck and its also got a few decent dings in it already.

Im considering powder coat and then a protection film, cant stand chrome.

TeddyD 03-12-2019 09:15 AM

I hear ya stufarmer. I have the same colour truck and within a few weeks of buying it, I had 30+ rock chips in the painted front bumper. I got some touch up paint from the dealer, fixed the chips and then immediately got X-Pel put on the bumpers, tailgate, rockers, mirror caps, door sills and above the windshield. I’ve only had one rock chip since and that was just by the fog light where the X-Pel didn’t cover. The factory touch up paint doesn’t seem to have that metallic shine but you can’t tell I did touch ups with the X-Pel on. Worth every penny.

Joe T 03-12-2019 09:16 AM

Man I made the dealer do the bra specifically. They drove it to a place about 40 miles away to get it done (and some other stuff because its a rural dealer) and no ****ting aside they turned it back and the dealer had to fix the bumper before they would put a bra on it.

I was wondering why it had almost 180 miles on it when i took delivery and his story of 2 trips and bumper damage lines up.

Bite the bullet and talk to your dealer about a repaint of the front bumper and I highly recommend the bra but I would instead not do the bumpers and hood 1ft back. I would do the bumper again, door edge guards again, complete hood, and no fenders. It’s because the line is real obvious along the hood when its dirty.

Good luck and dont sweat it.

FastTaurusSHO 03-12-2019 09:57 AM

This is why I got the chrome package, more resistant to damage, though not perfect. I really don't like the painted mirrors and bumper look.

I also drove my truck from the dealer to the clear bra place, on the feeder road about 10 miles. Truck had less than 20 miles on it when the bra was put on. Thanks for making me feel better about my choices, hope you get yours all fixed up soon!

kenners 03-12-2019 10:07 AM

I do NOT like painted bumpers for the same reason. I'm wanting to purchase a new 2019 F350 4X4 CC LB. Looking at Blue Jeans or possibly Agate Black. They do not make the Limited in Blue Jeans and the highest option to get chrome bumpers is King Ranch. Preference would be the seats in the Limited. I'll have to sit in seats in Limited/Platinum and King Ranch and make a decision.

DisplacedFlatlander 03-12-2019 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kenners (Post 18535446)
Preference would be the seats in the Limited. I'll have to sit in seats in Limited/Platinum and King Ranch and make a decision.

Aren’t the seats the same between the two?

linekin 03-12-2019 10:41 AM

C’mon guys, they’re trucks! I don’t care what they cost, it’s still a truck! That’s right, some of you don’t use them as such... my bad.

smokewagun 03-12-2019 10:52 AM

I’m a chrome guy. Ford still doesn’t have enough on their trucks. 😳
I do think they are missing the boat. Provide a Built Ford Tough package that has the bediner, carpet delete (not for me), wheel well liners, mud flaps, Line-X (or similar) covered bumpers, satin black grille, alternate add for Line-X two tone (again, not for me), and satin black wheels. I’m thinking this option would go nuts on order day. If they really want a corner on the market, offer selected colors for the Line-X.

Mattwolffelectric 03-12-2019 11:27 AM

Why I refused to get painted bumpers. My 2014 f150 was half rusty due to highway rocks. F that nonsense.

Busa 1 Dave 03-12-2019 11:34 AM

I hate them with a passion. If someone comes out with a aluminum or a SS bumper before I trade mine off in a couple of years I will buy it! I keep mine waxed every month with Carnauba and that helps quite a bit. learned that trick years ago. Know some will shake their head but it works.