1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What's up with all the IFS Threads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
What's up with all the IFS Threads.

Glad you asked. If you haven't put the whole deal together yet. Due to the almost weekly questions about suspension alternatives, we the people of the 48-60 forum are going to put together a brief description of the different suspension options to include a cost estimate, and list the advantages and disadvantages of the various choices. All in one convenient 15 page post. We will include all the common ones provided we get input on them here. So far we have Stock Ford straight axle, MII, Volare, Gibbon's bolt-in, Aerostar, Dekoter and GM. If anyone wants to add another thread to cover one I missed, go for it and start the thread.

When complete, we can ask Kenny to have it stickied, or just host it somewhere on the web and provide a link. Or some other method I haven't thought of. Will we then cease debating IFS systems? Well of course not, as many of you "thickheads" have not yet acknowledged the awesomeness of Mopar clip jobs.

But we can provide the newbies the basic facts and save them having to wade through volumes of sarcastic IFS wars. They can launch their further questions from there. The world will be a better place and our fingers will be less tired from typing the same stuff over constantly.

Got a suggestion? Let's hear it.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ain't he wonderfull??!!

When I go up, I wanna be just like 'fenders!

'fenders,

Seriously though, I thought once the 6 or 7 threads ran their course, we would summarize all of them into a large single thread which would be stickied and then we could unsticky the others and let them sink to the bottom...

Or - I table the motion that once the 6 or 7 threads........

Do I hear a seconder?

Later,

P.S. - Ain't you glad I'm back?

Old 09-30-2003, 08:47 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
'fenders,

I volunteer to write the consoldiated note when all the individual notes have quieted down. I would write it all up and then submit it to yourself or a small panel to review and critique and then when it's signed off , someone can post it.

Let me know....

Later,

Old 09-30-2003, 09:03 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm, anyone go the Jaguar route? I remember one of the European guys provided a lot of info on it a year or 2 ago.
Maybe not a truck but anything that can hold up the boat anchor 6 at 130 mph in a 3800lb car has got to be strong.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:10 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I agree when all pros cons facts and myths have been exposed then a brief write up on each should suffice. I think a table could be done also that one could do quick comparisons of all suspensions. When we have mastered the front we can tackle the rear.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:20 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Carl

I thought you might ask the Jag quation. Feel free to start a thread and post the facts. I know it's been done quite a few times. We would settle for a synopsis from a friend of yours who has done it. I know jack about them. All we ask is that you try to post facts as best you can. Has to be a Ford truck install. Same goes for the Dakota. I know you haven't done one. But you have obviously spent a great deal of time talking to folks who have. First hand experience is best but we may not get that in all cases. IE Aerostar. I have this feeling nobody here has ever driven one round the block. Still, we'll admit that if true, include it anyway, and do the best we can.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:37 AM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This is my though. Ive though allot about it because of a bimmer board i attend where many q's are asked over and over.

Since everything is all typed out why not just make a website for each topic... ifs's for one... brake conversions for another.. And have one sticky at the top with links to all the web sites.

I know i know, bandwidth costs money, but just a thought.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:43 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
put it all togethers... it's a mother !!!

guys...

don't you see the forest ???

we have the beginnings here of one terrific hands-on practical experienced, bruised, blood letting tech article here. we hash it out, skinny it down and Ken post it in the tech pages... then for Charles, we start on di-fer-wrench-uls ..what fits, where you have to hammer on it....

I'm getting all excited !!! this is what this FTE bidness is all about

good thinking fenders... even a blind hog finds an acorn occasionally

well anyway, I'm glad your're back cuz

john

Old 10-01-2003, 05:56 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
John

We'll see whether it's a good idea or not very soon. I know I'm looking forward to the part where we try to get a consensus on the con side. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

The cost phase will be complicated too when you try to explain the 15 ways to skin a cat.

Now git on over to the MII board and post your pinion or I'll delete it from the list due to lack of interest from the FTE forum. Don't give me the "I haven't driven it yet excuse", neither have many others on the other threads.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:58 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I could support Fergy doin' a final, we all know it would be unbiased!

Old 10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dewayne:
1. I dont know how to do a "sticky"
2. Ive no first hand info on the Jag, just a few magazine articles. And those were for 50 era Chebby trucks.

One thing I can say PRO is that complete and running mid 80's Jags are dirt cheap in rot belt auctions & bone yards since the unibodys are shot. Ive paid as low as $150 for a driver that I part out and sell the front and rear suspensions to rodders in warmer states where the Jag still brings big money.

Also since you are running this exercise how about adding a LTD sticky? That one still interests me

Old 10-01-2003, 09:46 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Carl

We got you covered on the stickies. Kenny the sticky man.

Everybody

I’ll put this here to keep the SA thread a little tidier. (Where it was brought up by George)

Submitted for your approval:

All the IFS threads will most definitely contain a cost breakdown. No purpose is served with inaccuracy. We'll itemize to the extent possible. It's not as simple as you may think though. There will likely be some debate what should be normally expected. George’s fresh from the weeds comment is representative of what most of us started with. It’s a stretch to assume the steering box doesn’t normally require a rebuild for a lasting SA rebuild. We need to go worst case on the 50 year old straight axle. But it’s not unrealistic to expect an 87 Fifth Avenue donor will not need everything. I changed it all on mine, but I found my 81 clip had zero loose balljoints or tierod ends. That said, I suggest we bid out a basic front-end rebuild kit to be on the safe side. By the time you buy the needed control arm bushings and an isolated part or two, the kit becomes cost effective anyway. I recommend we assume the power steering box on a clip donor is probably still serviceable.

The real cost of an IFS swap is $12,000 because it doesn’t end until the drivetrain is updated, and the rear bumper. We all know that. It doesn’t have to be that way, but somehow that’s how it often ends up.

Also, I am willing to do some of the IFS analysis. Do not fear though, all will be screened of emotion and minority opinions without factual basis. Assumptions, while necessary in some cases, must be minimized for this to be worth anything when complete.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Cuz,

I reccommend the article be posted in here with a permanent sticky rather than in the Tech Article section, for two reasons;

1. If it isn't here and in your face via a sticky, people will still ask the question over and over, only to have to be pointed to the tech article section.

2. (This is not intended to be a criticism of our benefactor and the wonderfull resource that he provides to us. I realize he is busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger). It could take a long time to get it posted into the tech article section. One of my submissions tooks approx. 6 months to get posted (and 1/2 was missing when it did get up -still missing 6 mths later) and another still isn't loaded after approx. 10 months.

Just my $.02 CDN

Later,

Old 10-01-2003, 07:32 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
I agree. We need one IFS post stickied. It could start with a table that gives a overview and then a chapter list and finally each IFS would be given a clear precise paragraph of no BS just the comittee selected information. I know that it would be lengthy but its value to FTE is immeasurable. WE must also take into account that some people while mechanically talented consider themselves lucky each time they find their way back to FTE forums. We need to make the information as easily accessable as possible.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User
Way to go fatfenders and others, for a great idea and postings!

Just a point to consider:

Cordoba, Mustang ii, Jag, Corvette, Dakota, Volare, Camero, Galaxie, LTD, Aerostar...etc. are ALL independent, parallel-a-arm, ball-joint front suspensions designed by some of the most well-funded engineering departments in the world, with two goals in mind; saftey and good handeling in a front-engined automobile.

I'm sure that the issue of saftey took precedence over cost in the design parameters of all these suspensions.

However the weight of the orriginal car the suspension was designed for had to be a major consideration in the design and ultimate cost of the suspension.

Looks of the suspension was probably not a major consideration in any of the above designs.

Therefore, I would think a MAJOR consideration of Effie owners would be to get a modern suspension and brakes into their vehicle that matched or exceeded the expected weight of their vehicle as simply and SAFELY as possible.

You know, during the building of a hobby automobile, the looks of the front suspension probably means a lot. But after building about ten of them, and puting fenders on them, and driving them, the looks of the suspension starts to seem a little crazy.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Good luck and BE SAFE.

Jim McNaul
BobJonesSpecial

Quick Reply: What's up with all the IFS Threads.