6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Mercon LV life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM
rwhite1
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercon LV life expectancy

Good morning,

I'm looking for information on the life expectancy of the transmission fluid - is it time period, miles, heat cycles, other measurement, and the source for such information. I've found the MSDS for the LV fluid which didn't provide what I'm looking for. Here's why.

'15, F350, 77k miles - scheduled for transmission filter and fluid flush - Dealer only dropped the pan and changed pan fluid. When asked, basically was told that a flush can break loose particles and cause issues with the transmission. I've heard it before, fine.

So now I have 7 quarts new fluid in a 17 qt system - 60% of the probably 4 year old, 77k mile fluid remains. This seems foolish. On the one hand Ford is saying the transmission is so sensitive it can't be flushed - but are also saying that running old fluid is okay and the transmission is not so sensitive. Fluid breaks down right? You don't do an oil change and only swap part of the oil. Hence the question - is there a source for the life expectancy of the transmission fluid. I would like to have a discussion with my servicing dealer that swapping 7 of the 17 defeats the purpose.

Also - OEM recommended service interval on the transmission if 150k miles. Manual says to replace transmission fluid. Does anyone know how a dealer replaces the transmission fluid without doing a flush?

Thanks for any wisdom. Have a good morning.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,376 Likes on 4,634 Posts
I just did a pan drain and drop last September at just over 31k miles. I plan on doing it every 30k miles until once I start towing or plowing when I have a camper and a snow plow. Then I would probably do it once a year but I put on about 18k miles a year. I replaced the filter and cleaned off the magnet and pan. Mine took a total of 8 quarts. I filled up with 7.5 quarts to get fluid on the stick. Let it warm up because LV expands when it gets hot. It took another half quart.

When I do this at these intervals, the additive package is maintained and a flush isn't needed. I also did my transfer case as well at the same time. Just my 2 cents. Ford calls the Mercon LV a 150k mile fluid. I would have to humbly disagree. That's crazy to me. But maybe they know something I don't.

Here's a video that has been posted before. It shows you how to do a flush and a pan drop with filter change. I used the same method to do the AW4 on my son's 99 Jeep XJ.

https://binged.it/2ITUBtZ

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-05-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add link
Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 AM
rwhite1
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the links - I've done the same flush method on E40D and 4R100. This went to the dealer because it's under warranty. Is there any hard material out there saying the LV fluid breaks down at X rate or is good for X time? Ford thinks it's 150K mile fluid, but can that really be correct?

What is the depletion rate of the additive? Time, miles, heat cycles, or something else?

Mostly I'm just peeved that the dealer did what they did - didn't do what was scheduled and did not call about not doing what was scheduled. And in 23k miles they can say its out of warranty and tough luck if something happens.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,376 Likes on 4,634 Posts
Mine's under warranty also but they would charge out the ying yang to do what I can do myself and save money. If you really want a flush because you were at 77k miles, do the same thing as you've done. The trans has to be hot so it's flowing through the cooling circuit so you get all of it. The pan was cleaned with magnet also and new filter (as far as you know), so you probably would be good to go to do that flush. Then you could the 30k mile OCI with 8 quarts. There's a old Ford trans engineer on here that I DM'd who agreed with the 30k OCI. Just FYI.

About the specs on the fluid itself, I have no idea. It probably depends on how the vehicle is driven and used. I also added 16 oz (1 oz per quart of LV) of LubeGard Platinum. I'm not going to go longer on the OCI, I just thought the esters in the LubeGard can't hurt. Just my humble IMHO.

Go to the link that Claluja posted up. I posted pics of the small high temp rare earth magnets I placed in my pan at time of pan drop. The guy who posted the thread says he has never seen a 6R140 trans last that has not had the fluid changed. Before all the detractors here post up about theirs being good without a fluid change ever, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.