1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang 2 clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK guys I am on the case. Don't think the 800 number work from over here, but that's not a problem. I think I am learning fast...I have just emailed Heidts with some questions. To the poster earlier that mentioned it is just a truck anyway...I realise that, but my truck is just pretty awful to drive as it is at present.I am sure I can improve it with the right bits.

Suffolkman

Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Suffolkman,
I was also surprised at how truck like it drove as well. It's not like the smooth ride
of a Jaguar.. not even close. Our ride improved with a good alignment, good tires,
a sway bar, etc. Your front end looks to have been professionally installed.. the welds look nice,
the frame has been boxed in, etc. The trucks also ride a lot better with some load in the back.
Do you have radials?

I was also expecting a really smooth ride … like a new truck. That hasn't been my experience.
Good luck on your ride improvement quest - keep us posted on your progress.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
thanks Ben, I have been exchanging emails with Heidts for an hour or so. It is apparently not one of theirs. But have given me some tips. and want to see a front view of the suspension set up on ramps. I will get on that and let you all know And yes I run wide White Coker radials.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Heidt's may have mentioned it when you conversed with them, but the lower control arms should be dead horizontal and parallel with the ground at rest. (or as close to it as possible) Something to look for. That may be what they're looking to see from the pic requested.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:37 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Heidt's may have mentioned it when you conversed with them, but the lower control arms should be dead horizontal and parallel with the ground at rest. (or as close to it as possible) Something to look for. That may be what they're looking to see from the pic requested.
Thanks Ben, yes They did mention that, and I have read that on a few different sites. I am going to get the truck up on ramps and take some photos of the suspension from different angles.

Suffolkman

Old 03-02-2019, 03:52 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Lower control arm....that is the lower A arm ?.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:59 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I just re-read the first few posts again. So you had 350 lb/in springs and changed to 400? Do you know what the ride was like with 350? If they were the same length your ride height would hardly change. Longer springs would add more pre-tension and increase ride height. So what was the change in length? How much do the springs compress when you sit it on the ground compared to jacked up?

Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justboy
I just re-read the first few posts again. So you had 350 lb/in springs and changed to 400? Do you know what the ride was like with 350? If they were the same length your ride height would hardly change. Longer springs would add more pre-tension and increase ride height. So what was the change in length? How much do the springs compress when you sit it on the ground compared to jacked up?
No...not quite right. I have spoken to the company that fitted the front end. They were supplied the parts from the customer (the previous owner to me ). He has no record of what the springs were, but thought they were probably 350 or 400lb. That is what hw would have fitted if he had supplied the kit. So really I do not know for sure what weight they are. Heidts have been very helpful confirming it is not one of their cross members. And stating that they would recommend 300 or 350lb springs. As for the last bit of your mail I would have to measure that. I have had the truck on ramps this morning and taken photos, I will upload some shortly.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Your shocks will have a range of around 4 inches. At ride height that 4 inches should compress around 30-40 percent of that 4 inches.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User

Control arms pointing slightly up

Here are 4 photos taken this morning. Note that the control arms are pointing slightly up. Does this indicate that the springs are too soft ?.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 AM
JDS55F100
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the pictures your lower control arms arent parallel to the ground. So you could order higher rate springs. So let's say you have 350 on now you could go with 400 or 450 lb. But keep in mind that could result in even harsher ride depending on which springs you order. Adding a better quality shock would help with this.

As for what kit you have that's hard to tell because there are some many company's who are making the kits now. looking at the upper spring perches it actually looks like a universal kits. I ordered mine of Ebay and it's pretty much identical to heints but it's not a heints. I dont have my front end on yet so my controls arms are out the opposite direction as yours.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:20 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by Suffolkman
Lower control arm....that is the lower A arm ?.
Yes...Sir..

Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Also a longer spring should not have to be a stiffer ( more lb's ) and if some one has put a gas charged or pressurized shock on it could easily stiffen the ride . By the looks of your a arms you could gain an inch or two ride height with longer not stiffer springs .

Old 03-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
I think I am learning slowly over the last couple of days. I think what I need to do is strip the suspension down and find out what springs I have, Maybe the weight might be stamped on the springs ?. I am also thinking that I may need slightly heavier springs. My present one maybe bottoming out on some of the potholes on our country lanes. If I got longer springs, wouldn't I need longer shox ?. Thanks to all again for your input.

Suffolkman

Old 03-02-2019, 12:19 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
No your shocks will be fine , longer springs won't change the amount of travel only the ride height . When you say harsh ride do you feel the suspension is bottoming out or too stiff ? If it is bottoming then you need stiffer " more lb spring " if it is just not using the travel then you need a lighter " less lb spring " .

Quick Reply: Mustang 2 clip