Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang 2 clip

Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Mustang 2 clip

My 50 F1 has been fitted with an aftermarket Mustang 2 front clip. I do not know what make it is...but maybe able to find out. It sits very low, and is very stiff giving a very bumpy ride feeling every rut in the road. It does look good, but is very impractical, I would like to raise it up a bit if I can and soften the ride. I am going to investigate what I have, |I am wondering if it is fitted with drop spindles.Is there something I can measure to know what spindles are fitted ?.Secondly someone told me that if it was a complete kit fitted the springs would be 350 or 400lb, Does that sound correct, what weight and length springs would give me a more comfortable ride ?. If they are standard spindles could I fit longer springs to raise and soften the ride ?. Would I need longer shox ? .Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Suffolkman

Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
If they are drop spindles the spindle will be high, stock height spindles are lower

This is a Mustang stock height spindle

Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Don52M3
Senior User
Don52M3 has a good reputation on FTE.Don52M3 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a M3, same as F3 with a mustang 2 . I'm using 400 # springs. I first had 350 lb springs but it sat to low. I also have a SBC engine so I don't know the different s in weight.
Don52M3

Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
500 lb springs in both my trucks..

Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks to all your replies so far. As stated I am looking for a good comfortable ride ....not having to feel every small bump in the road, So suggestions for weight of springs...shox etc would be good. John...wouldn't 500lb springs make the truck even stiffer ?.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
They were what was supplied with the kits I bought for the application. The one in the pic is from Scott's Hot Rods and is on my panel, on my pickup I have a Heidt's cross member and both are adjustable coil cover shocks. I find the ride quite comfortable.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Justboy
Senior User
Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.
At least you have a starting point so I think you need to take one off and have the rate measured and go from there. Any local spring maker should be able to help you out. The length mainly just affects the ride height. The shocks won't change. Big difference between 350 and 500 lb but just whatever suits you and the roads you use it on

Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Suffolkman,
We also have a '50 F1 with a Mustang II style front suspension. I wouldn't describe it
as a harsh ride but it does drive like a truck. Maybe you could post a pic to see if anyone can
tell what you have under there. We have 400 lb springs in our's.

What shocks are you running? Have you replaced motor mounts? Cab mounts?
What are you running in the rear end? Maybe it's all contributing to giving you the rough ride.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Ok,,,getting some good feedback thank you all. I have attached a couple of photo supplied to me when i purchased the truck. I am trying to find out what make and kit type I have. I will take it apart next week and get some more photos. From my pics...have I got standard or dropped spindles ?. Are the shox adjustable (I know nothing about suspension ).

Standard or dropped spindle

Is this an adjustable Shock ?

Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
Ok,,,getting some good feedback thank you all. I have attached a couple of photo supplied to me when i purchased the truck. I am trying to find out what make and kit type I have. I will take it apart next week and get some more photos. From my pics...have I got standard or dropped spindles ?. Are the shox adjustable (I know nothing about suspension ).

Standard or dropped spindle

Is this an adjustable Shock ?
You have stock (standard ) spindles and the shocks are not adjustable

This is stock height with adjustable coil over shocks. I can't state the manufacturers name of your cross member but it looks to be the standard design of most after market cross members. If it were a Heidt's there should be a badge on the front of the cross member that would be tack welded to it behind the rack

Old 03-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Could I change my shox for adjustable shox ? would they fit straight on. If I went for 500lb springs perhaps that would sit the truck up a bit and give me more suspension travel ?.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
https://www.heidts.com/part/mustang-...uspension-ifs/

This looks like the cross member you have, they are usually very quick at responding to emails and sure they would be able to answer your questions and guide you seeing as they engineered the cross members

Old 03-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Funny...I have just been checking their website and decided on the same idea....email them direct and get their thoughts. Many thanks.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Could I change my shox for adjustable shox ? would they fit straight on. If I went for 500lb springs perhaps that would sit the truck up a bit and give me more suspension travel ?.
There are adjustable shocks that are available but not sure you need them, they wouldn't give you any adjustment to ride height because of the design of your suspension. The coil over shock that I have do give you some adjustment but the lower control arm is design to be parallel to the cross member. Talking with the techs at Heidt's is where I'd direct my questions. I'm not qualified to give an expert opinion and can only tell you how mine was set up ..

Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Funny...I have just been checking their website and decided on the same idea....email them direct and get their thoughts. Many thanks.
You might try their 800 phone number too to see if it works from across the water.. You never know..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.