5.4 Throttle body cleaning - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

5.4 Throttle body cleaning

Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM
rd65
Freshman User
rd65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 Throttle body cleaning

2006 F150 5.4 3v with 138k. The truck died as I came up to a stop light a few weeks ago. Only did this once but idle seemed to be very low to me (602 in park, 527 in gear according to my Actro reader). Idle would fluctuate also. I read that cleaning throttle body and resetting PCM could help. I cleaned the throttle body, had a river of 'vanilla pudding' running down the throttle body. Is this normal? The idle quality is back to normal.
What does resetting the PCM do? Is this something that should be done often?

Old 02-24-2019, 04:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Is that oil residue perhaps from a K&N air filter someone got a bit too heavy handed applying the oil? I've been here quite a few years and have never seen such a thing. I'll follow this thread just to hear what this might be.

If your PCM didn't throw any codes I don't think "resetting" it would be helpful--could be wrong though. Also if idle has returned to normal that also indicates nothing more needs to be done. Well, past finding out what caused your vanilla pudding invasion.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 AM
enriched&beyound
Posting Guru
enriched&beyound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Is that oil residue perhaps from a K&N air filter someone got a bit too heavy handed applying the oil? I've been here quite a few years and have never seen such a thing. I'll follow this thread just to hear what this might be.

If your PCM didn't throw any codes I don't think "resetting" it would be helpful--could be wrong though. Also if idle has returned to normal that also indicates nothing more needs to be done. Well, past finding out what caused your vanilla pudding invasion.
Agree with JWA, If you have a oiled air filter it was probably done excess. You'll be wise to clean the MAF sensor too, well the whole plenum after the air filter.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM
lv2race
Posting Guru
lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's more like combustion gasses mixed with oil vapor in the engine being sucked in through the breather hose into the air intake. Definitely one of the dirtiest I've seen. You should clean or replace your PCV too as it may be just as dirty.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM
rd65
Freshman User
rd65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am pretty sure I don't get too crazy with my K&N oiling. The MAF sensor was cleaned not too long ago. I am thinking the searching idle may have been due to below freezing temps along with the very watery oily condensation/pudding causing icing issues. I will check the PVC as mentioned. I am thinking it is probably time to pull the valves covers for cleaning and valve train inspection.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:17 PM
RocDem
Freshman User
RocDem is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 Throttle Body Cleaning

Do you take your truck on a lot of short trips? I heard that causes that blown head gasket looking froth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.