Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 AM
91Van
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt noise

Hello,

I have a squeeking/chirping coming from my drivebelt, that occurs most of the time. Especially when the weather is hot and often when it is damp. Mechanics have said that the problem is common and cannot be fixed. I would like to eliminate it though and there must be away since not all 5.0L vans make this noise.
It is a 91 E-150 and has a single drivebelt.

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-30-2003, 01:25 AM
Jack01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford has came out with a TSB on this condition and it requires the replacement of the idler pulley if i can remember this right. what happens is the pulley wears down and becomes glazed this causes the noise when hot and on warm days. I know that Napa Auto Stores sells the pulley an it is a fairly simple swap out. The mechanic telling you that it is common is correct but he is incorrect there is a fix..check the pulley at the Tensioner/idler for wear. That is the most likely cause and the most common.

Happened to my pops 87 f 150 with 302 and his 91 'Stang .

Old 09-30-2003, 07:27 AM
fishin1976
Elder User
I'll tell you right now, replace the belt and the whole tensioner assembly, including the idler pulley. Then spray the pulleys with belt dressing.

That is the only way I know of to permanently (or at least a very long time) get rid of the squeek. IF that does not get rid of it, you must have a bearing going out on one of your accessories, or a pulley alignment probelm.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:57 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A new pulley and belt dressing did not fix it for me. Damp weather is worse. Mine does not squeak all the time, only during warmup. A similar system on the Ranger/Explorer 4.0 does not have this problem.

Jim

Old 09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
fishin1976
Elder User
The tensioner is the most important part of the fix. If you need to, get a belt tension gauge and check it. If it anywhere near the minimum, get the new tensioner. Check the tensioner range gauge on the front of the tensioner. If the little arrow (on the outside top edge of the aluminum casting) is to the right (as you face the engine from the front) outside of the RANGE indicator, replace the belt. If this description is confusing, see chapter one in a haynes manual (belts- replacing).

Old 09-30-2003, 10:21 AM
goofy173
Senior User
The easiest fix is to spray Armor All on the belt. I doesn't last forever but it will shut up the squeaking.

Old 09-30-2003, 10:56 AM
91Van
Junior User
Thanks to everyone. I will look into replacing the tensioner and belt. Probably wont be able to open the hood till this weekend though. This forum is great.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
CAUTION: The bolt that holds the idler pulley on should have LEFT hand threads. Most people are unaware of this.

Just a heads up.

A bar of soap will quiet it down too if it is the belt.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:54 PM
kennyrrt
Senior User
Originally posted by jbalestri
CAUTION: The bolt that holds the idler pulley on should have LEFT hand threads. Most people are unaware of this.

Just a heads up.

A bar of soap will quiet it down too if it is the belt.
Oh boy, do I feel the pain of that left hand thread. Surprising how strong the tensioners are though. Took a Biiiig! breaker bar and a lot of strength to bust it. Unthreaded the rest of the bolt easily with a 1/4 drill as I (stupidly) began preparations to rethread it. NAPA was very happy to take my money for a new one. Didn't have to work near as hard putting it back together...

The tensioner bolts on the block with a right hand thread. Just the pulley is left.

Last edited by kennyrrt; 09-30-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:08 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Have you checked the alternator to see if this is where your squeak is coming from? Check the tension like fishin said first. Ford put marks on the tensioners to let you know when the belt was stretched beyond limits. Remove the belt and spin your pullies. You will have to listen closely to hear any squeaking but should be able to tell which one it is. I have seen a lot of tensioners replaced only to be followed by an alternator. The squeak they emit is almost identical.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:03 PM
BurbankJoe
New User
Had the tensioner and belt replaced at the dealer two months ago - problem fixed. The belt dressing would quiet it down for a day or so, but the squeal would always return. Was told NOT to use it on serpentine belts at all afterwards.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
I am willing to bet that all of your pulleys are glazed like mine were. Get a new belt and some emory cloth. Take off the old belt. Now take the emory cloth and rough up the surfaces of all pulleys, be sure to get in the grooves of the grooved pulleys. This gives the belt a much better surface to grip on. Now all you got to do is put on the new belt. Do not use the old belt no matter how new it is. It is already glazed as noted by the sqealing you heard. The above method should cure your noise. It did for me.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:15 PM
inlineguy
Senior User
i put some bar soap on my belt and it seemed to shut it up for now at least. Just rub it against the belt while its roatting justa little thou.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Vermonter
New User
Just replaced the tensioner and belt on my 96 F150 big six. The tensioner was chirping like a demented bird. Fixed a problem that I have had since I got the truck 6 months ago. I would get a check engine light every now and then, always at idle and mostly when it was wet. Engine code was secondary air low, I think the belt tension was a little low allowing the belt to slip on the air pump just enough to cause the check engine light to come on. Thought I would throw this little bit of information out in case anyone else is experiencing this annoying malfunction.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:20 PM
broken wire
Senior User
One more item that does cure this problem is the from the difference in the serpentine belts available on the market, (Dayco by name) has seriations cut across the belt allowing the belt to flex more in the serpentine pulley grooves stopping the squealing noise of the belt sliding down in the groove of the pulleys. This belt by name has stopped all of the squeals I have come in my shop. I am not saying the tensioner does not also need to be replaced, just that the belt does it for my customers, I have not replaced a tensioner for the belt squeal yet.

broken wire

Quick Reply: Belt noise