6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Mayne Man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash cam

I just ordered a dash cam for my 2011 F 350. Anybody have any good tips on installation.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I stuck mine on the windshield just to the left of the mirror and pushed the cable above the headliner and down the left side under the trim. I connected to one of the upfitter switches.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Dizzeey
New User
My dash cam is built into my gps so I can mount anywhere. Some states regulate where you can out a dash cam.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
On both my 15 and now my 17 I mounted it to passenger side of the rear view mirror. I ran the wire up above the headliner and down the passenger door jamb and in behind the dash and tap'd a fuse on the panel by the passenger foot
Only about 2" of wire showing directly above the camera.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
On both my 15 and now my 17 I mounted it to passenger side of the rear view mirror. I ran the wire up above the headliner and down the passenger door jamb and in behind the dash and tap'd a fuse on the panel by the passenger foot
Only about 2" of wire showing directly above the camera.
Same location and same installation

Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Same location and same installation
Same location and wire run as well except I'm using the 12v plug on the passenger side dash. I've been using one for two years so far.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Mayne Man
Junior User
Thanks guys for all of the replys.
So, if you are plugged into the 12v plug, the power does not go off with the key. Is this a concern?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Mayne Man
Thanks guys for all of the replys.
So, if you are plugged into the 12v plug, the power does not go off with the key. Is this a concern?
I haven't been concerned but it's not the best way to power it for long term hands off. It's best to use lynnmor or PH's install. I don't drive the truck daily anymore so I unplug it when it's parked for a few days or a week. It does overheat and shut down in the summer heat but usually boots after engine starting. While I thought the 12v power would remain stable, I guess the starting power draw is enough to trip power to the device and it boots. For the Fusion, I just use the USB port which is on/off with full accessory power (mounted top right corner due to the middle large BLIS camera in the way).

Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What cameras did you guys choose?

Rob

Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Mine is hooked up to an "Always On" power So it records when I'm parked.
It's rare that I don't drive each day. But I have parked at the airport a few times and left it sit for several days and not had dead batteries. It takes so little voltage

Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Mayne Man
Junior User
I chose one from Amazon called Apeman. It is supposed to be here tomorrow

Old 02-15-2019, 10:42 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

I have left mine powered on for a week while parked without truck battery issues but that doesn't mean what I do is a good idea. It's a non issue if daily driving.

Originally Posted by rob17
What cameras did you guys choose?

Rob
I have a single camera VanTrue OnDash R2 (2016 model) in the truck. It hasn't been hands off but it works fine most of the time. I'm finding occasionally the camera powers up then powers off after a minute (this has happened maybe 4-5 times). Reformatting the SD card restores the stability. If I pull the card after discovering this issue, I'll typically find a corrupt file. This occurs (but only sometimes) with loss of power so the battery has failed and it isn't powering down safely to avoid corruption.

For the car, I didn't want an in-cab camera model (newer VanTrue's are dual camera) and since I wasn't 100% happy with the more expensive truck camera, I went with a cheaper Roav A1 to see how it works. I've only had it a month so it's unknown how it'll work and survive long term, such as through summer. The Roav activates on physical movement when off and opening a door typically activates it (its parked collision detection setting).

I turn the mic off on both as well. It'll be interesting to read what others are using and the "hands off" stability.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayne Man
I just ordered a dash cam for my 2011 F 350. Anybody have any good tips on installation.
I have a BlackVue DR750S 2 channel. It is plugged into a battery under the passenger seat which is plugged into an always on fuse behind the passenger side kick panel. The front camera is mounted on the passenger side of the third visor frit while the rear camera is mounted on the driver's side of the rear window.
Installation if pretty straightforward. The only consideration I know is the rear window. On my 2012 I mounted the rear camera on the passenger side, but on the 2017 I had to put it on the driver's side to allow for the direction of travel of the rear window. Otherwise, ensure your cord and/or coax do not lay on top of any sharp metal edges.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
I bought mine a bunch of years ago, So I know like any technology, There is something way better out there. But at the time it was one of the better cameras

Mine is a Lukas Made in Korea. It is a dual camera, Front and back. And has worked flawless for 4 years

Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Mayne Man
Junior User
I can't believe how many makes and models of dash cams there are out there. I just had to try one and hope for the best'

Quick Reply: Dash cam