Notices

Gas Stops - Nervous

Old 02-13-2019, 12:42 PM
Krygo
New User
Krygo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas Stops - Nervous

Hello All,

Just love this fourm sounds like a lot of just good people. We just got our new to us 2018 F 250 xlt. we are planning our first big trip this spring. We live in indiana and will be traveling to Memphis to spend a week with our daughter. We will be taking our 2017 Rockwood Camper, it is 34 feet long so getting into gas stations will be a struggle some times. I'm working on trying to google the route and look at fuel stops. never pulling this set up before I'm just not sure what kind of fuel mileage to use to figure these stops. So I guess my question is what kind of mileage should I expect to see with my set up, I'm not a lead foot running 60 65 will be our speed.
Truck 2018 F 250 4x4 6.2 3.73 gears, most likely be locking 6th out I would assume
Camper 34 feet 8,000 loaded
Thank you!!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM
wrvond
Postmaster
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Plan on 8 mpg. I pull campers out of Goshen to dealers all around the country. Don't buy gas, but have had a lot of practice getting in and out of some of the smallest stations I've ever seen. Keep in mind that gas stations have their fuel delivered by 18 wheel tankers, and those guys have to be able to get in and out. If you are in doubt about a particular station, look for the area where the station's tanks are filled. That'll usually give you a safe place to land while you assess your approach to the pumps.
Sheetz and other high volume stations are almost always easy enter/exit.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Birdhunter1
Posting Guru
Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know what part of Indiana you are traveling from but when you come through Illinois avoid I 57 south of Mt. Vernon, there is what seems a wreck a day that causes traffic backups for hours. This will probably be difficult if you are coming in on I 70 and hoping to hit I 55 in MO via I 57 in IL.

However cruising across I 64 west to Nashville, IL and heading south on IL 127 through Murphysboro to IL 149 then to IL Route 3 and picking up I 55 in Cape Girardeau, MO is a very easy drive and the gas stations in Nashville near the interstate, most of the ones in Murphysboro and the one in Cape on the south side when you cross the bridge shouldn't be hard to navigate into and out of with that long of a trailer. The towns mentioned are easy to get through and there are only a few other small ones (less than a few hundred people) are easy as well. Its a fairly easy towing drive.

But by all means avoid I 57 south of Mt Vernon to I 24 south of Marion in IL.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Most any gas station on or just off an Interstate exit will be good to use, but those with the pump islands parallel to the store front will be easier than those perpendicular to the store. I pull a 41' TT behind our EXcursion and have only had to back out of two small rural stations in over 37,000 towing miles, and with a V-10, that's A LOT of gas stops! I made it to the pump both of those times but out the way I came in was the only way, so reversing was needed and my Bride is a good spotter.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Sage advice from Tom in post #4. You're probably pulling a conventional travel trailer so you don't have to worry about height restrictions too much, but it's something you should always know and be aware of.

I've used Google satellite maps to disqualify some stations. If you stick to the truck stops you're usually OK. It can be easier for the diesel guys though.

I use GasBuddy to find the less expensive fuel options. These are often more than a few blocks off the highway. But an off-highway station often means it has poor access for a truck/trailer combination.

If you're desperate for fuel, don't be afraid to drop the trailer so you can get into a station. I've had to do that so I could get water in the 150 gallon bladder in the bed of the truck.

And finally, don't expect people to feel sorry for you or get out of your way. If they can cut in front of you, they will.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I've used Google satellite maps to disqualify some stations. If you stick to the truck stops you're usually OK. It can be easier for the diesel guys though. I use GasBuddy to find the less expensive fuel options. These are often more than a few blocks off the highway. But an off-highway station often means it has poor access for a truck/trailer combination.
We start looking for fuel on unfamiliar routes, at about 50 miles out of our refueling window. We also use google maps - satellite view - for entrance and exit configurations before reaching a fuel stop. We also have a plan "A" and "B" in the event fuel lanes are full when we arrive. Whether your on a an expressway or state road, it's aways good to have a fuel plan when towing.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM
BSHGTO
New User
BSHGTO is starting off with a positive reputation.
and off to the races

Having to get fuel at the most inopportune time in a strange place can be very stressful towing big units. Before I got smart and put a fuel tank in the back of the truck more than once I was near out by driving farther and father looking for the easiest station to get into. Best scenario if your close to empty is pull into any congested area off the high way and look for a shopping center, pull in and drop the trailer. There will be plenty of stations about, go fill and reconnect and on your way. No stress, no getting stuck by the clown that pulls in behind you and boxes you in, no possible damage by tail swing pulling out, did I say no stress. Ok so when you have the time and money put a fuel transfer tank in the bed you`ll thank yourself for it. Cause you start worrying about where your going to fill up the minute you start your trip. Believe me that`s on thing off your mind and makes the journey more pleasant.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
So far, my 48 gallon OEM tank has been enough that I don't feel the need to carry cans of fuel or put in an additional tank.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I always plan on 7 mpg that way I have enough cushion. I also plan on 3.50 a gallon for the same reason.

You can download pilot/flying j app and use that along your route. It is for truck stops but they always have gas pumps too. Large and easy to get around. Sheetz as suggested is a good one too.

There is always a possibily that you may have to drop the trailer so be prepared for it, but I never have. Find a truck stop is what works.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Worst thing I find in smaller stations in the entry/exit ramp angles. Before I learned to pay attention to this, I dragged my tail a couple of times, luckily no damage.

If you are in a tight station, and you have your co-pilot with you, have them get out and WALK in front to guide you. If you are on your own, feel free to ask someone pumping gas to watch you. I usually tell them that I want them to yell if I'm going to hit their car, that gets their attention. Do all these maneuvers with all your windows down and your radio off.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Krygo
New User
Krygo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great Information guys. Thank you for the responces. wrvond you are in my back yard. live in Warsaw and work in Milford, Small World sometimes.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 AM
lhoward1134
Freshman User
lhoward1134 is starting off with a positive reputation.
For unfamiliar stations, I tend to like Flying J.They generally have pumps designed for RV's or trucks pulling trailers. Maybe plan your trip around some of the big stations mentioned. Loves is another station I have had luck with. One other thing to think about when getting fuel is how the tail end of the trailer is going to swing as you pull away from the pump. I have heard of people forgetting and having the tail take out a pump, trash cans, cars, etc.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM
wrvond
Postmaster
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Krygo View Post
Great Information guys. Thank you for the responces. wrvond you are in my back yard. live in Warsaw and work in Milford, Small World sometimes.
I usually take 33 through Fort Wayne to Goshen, but have thought about staying on 30 through Warsaw to 15 and up to Goshen. I might have to try that next time!

Old 02-16-2019, 02:03 AM
Midnightmoon
Senior User
Midnightmoon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Midnightmoon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by lhoward1134 View Post
For unfamiliar stations, I tend to like Flying J.They generally have pumps designed for RV's or trucks pulling trailers.
Flying J is also my go to stop while towing. I especially like that they have the trip planning feature on their Web site where you can search for locations along your route with RV fuel lanes, dump stations, etc.

Just FYI however for those who have never used them. Flying J tends to put a significantly large hold on your credit card when using pay at the pump in their RV lanes. (I've seen it as high as $500) They are very quick to refund it but just don't be shocked if you monitor your card through an app like I do. It definitely took me by surprise when I noticed it the first time.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
on the flying J pilot topic. You should apply for their RV advantage card. You can just swipe that at the pump and get some cents off the fuel and pay it off at the end of the month. It is a no interest card. I use it because I can swipe at the truck lanes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.