2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Eye opening article - stolen vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
After looking through that thread and Ravelco's website, it seems the owner can no longer remote start his truck with that device. For about $10 and a little DIY labor, I can install a hidden toggle switch that disables the fuel pump.
If you have the hidden toggle switch tripped to disable the fuel pump your remote start won't work either. You are correct that the Ravelco plug must be engaged in order to remote start. If you regularly park your truck in your garage or other 'safe' area you can leave the plug in and use the remote start. I don't have remote start on my truck so it was a non issue. For folks that have to use remote start it might be a deal breaker.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by blueglide
If you have the hidden toggle switch tripped to disable the fuel pump your remote start won't work either.
Correct. The point I was trying to make is I can accomplish the same goal for a lot less $$$.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Correct. The point I was trying to make is I can accomplish the same goal for a lot less $$$.
Ahhh got it I should point out that the hidden kill switch idea has some serious flaws. It gets mentioned every time alarms and anti-theft devices come up. The main problems are the switch has to be accessible to be used so that means installation in the cab, usually up under the dash somewhere. Hidden switches in the engine compartment might be used occasionally but realistically who is gonna pop their hood every time they go shopping and trip their hidden switch. In the cab, the dash panels remove in seconds and wiring is easily exposed and trip switches are more easily found. If the switch is located in the cab (where the thief can work quietly and pretty much unnoticed) a flip of the switch and the truck is hotwired normally. Yes its possible to hide a switch so well and so deep in the dash somewhere that a thief might not find it but it still means that if located it just requires a flip of the switch and again it has to be user friendly to be used. The Ravelco wiring is also under the dash (no secret there) but the wiring is in an armored jacket so it has to be cut open with wire cutters. If you cut the armor jacket you cut the wiring inside and the system automatically grounds out killing the components its wired into. All splicing and connections are hidden in the engine compartment which would require a potential thief to pop the hood, locate the wiring, find the correct wire combinations, splice evrything back together, and then hotwire the truck. The Ravelco track record speaks for itself there when they say no vehicle has ever been stolen with a Ravelco installed and being used at the time. I hate to sound like a Ravelco salesman but there are some significant differences in their system and a simple kill switch. I do agree that they are a bit pricey tho!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
I should point out that the hidden kill switch idea has some serious flaws.
Oh, I agree, but who says it has to be a basic on/off toggle switch? While there are many places where one can be hidden, some of the best locations are in plain sight. Could integrate a factory dashboard switch for an accessory your truck doesn't have. Mine doesn't have the FX4 option, but I could install its OEM switch with the OEM bezel and connect it to operate as an on/off switch. These trucks also have various types of electrical outlets. My "key" may be nothing more than a jumper in one of the 110VAC or 12VDC outlets. I know of some fleet vehicles that use the old floor-mounted high-beam switches mounted higher than usual on the floorboard. Many ways to skin this cat.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Oh, I agree, but who says it has to be a basic on/off toggle switch? While there are many places where one can be hidden, some of the best locations are in plain sight. Could integrate a factory dashboard switch for an accessory your truck doesn't have. Mine doesn't have the FX4 option, but I could install its OEM switch with the OEM bezel and connect it to operate as an on/off switch. These trucks also have various types of electrical outlets. My "key" may be nothing more than a jumper in one of the 110VAC or 12VDC outlets. I know of some fleet vehicles that use the old floor-mounted high-beam switches mounted higher than usual on the floorboard. Many ways to skin this cat.
Anything we do to slow down or stop a thief is a good thing. I admit to being just a little paranoid as I drive around Tucson, while here for a few months, wondering if my truck is being scouted by some cartel flunky as a possible target for theft. I hate thieves!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
I hate thieves!
Ditto! And your blazing guns emoji reminds me that I don't post any firearm or NRA decals on my truck because that would identify my truck & premises as being target rich. Thus, I have to leave my "WE DON"T DIAL 911" sign hanging indoors. I do have a decal showing my support for the Virginia State Police.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,710 Likes on 2,754 Posts
My wife told me about a posting that thieves were targeting the Cabela's parking lot. One owner lost all his hunting gear that was in the cab. That's why I drive my Nissan Leaf (electric vehicle) to Cabela's. No thief would ever suspect me of being an outdoorsman with that car!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I agree, but who says it has to be a basic on/off toggle switch?
I have the upfitter switches, and I have been thinking about wiring them in a specific pattern (1 and 2 on, 3 off 4 on and 5 off etc etc) in order to allow fuel pump to run. This way the switches are in plain sight, and the thief would either have to figure out the sequence or how to wire around it. 5 switches give 2^5 possible combinations, right? It would certainly slow someone down, but wouldnt slow me much.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The Club.....

Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
[...] I drive my Nissan Leaf [...] No thief would ever suspect me of being an outdoorsman with that car!
... or any other kind of man, for that matter ...

Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,710 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Originally Posted by 67L48
... or any other kind of man, for that matter ...
That's why I have bumper sticker on the Leaf that says my other vehicle is a Powerstroke F-350.. I gotta get some street cred somehow.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Tall Timbers
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've covered up my VIN with black construction paper. I read an article backaways that indicated that thieves only need your VIN and a computer to program a key fob to open and run a newer vehicle nowadays.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tall Timbers
I've covered up my VIN with black construction paper. I read an article backaways that indicated that thieves only need your VIN and a computer to program a key fob to open and run a newer vehicle nowadays.
Not true.

Its not very easy these days to break into a modern vehicle, start it, and drive away. Yes it can be done but that's a fraction of the thefts. Proof; a friend of mine's son had his nearly new BMW stolen from his job parking lot recently. This despite the fact that the car had an imobilizer on it. Thief used a stolen tow truck with one of the setups that makes for a quick lift and pull. They got several in one night.

I mostly want to discourage thieves. So when parking cars in public locations I try not to leave anything that could be thought of as valuable in sight. Everything goes in the trunk. In the truck I put stuff either behind or under the back seat. Break-ins are always a PITA to deal with even if they don't steal the vehicle or anything of value. Dealing with insurance claims, deducibles, the general mess they make of the vehicle in the process, all are a way bigger headache than loosing the item they stole.

I try to keep my vehicles low profile; no NRA stickers. No, expensive add-ons, no expensive stereos, nothing to tell a thief there is anything worth his time and effort. If he takes the whole vehicle, well, it sucks but I'm insured.

It also seems that there has been an upswing in trailer thefts in recent years and I often have my racecar hauler (24' enclosed) going somewhere and frequently overnighting at hotels while traveling. The trailer and its potential contents makes for a tempting target. When I bought the new trailer last year I decided to forego the usual race team logos and graphics, which is basically a sign telling thieves that there is an expensive car inside the convenient transportation device.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Not true.

Its not very easy these days to break into a modern vehicle, start it, and drive away. Yes it can be done but that's a fraction of the thefts.
​​​​​​Tell that to the hundreds of Ford truck owners across the US that have had their trucks stolen (driven away) each year. I'm talking about stolen trucks where the thief gained access (extremely easy on Ford trucks), hot wired the vehicle and drove away. This shouldn't be confused with Larceny (or theft) from a motor vehicle where the thief simply breaks a window or door handle and enters the truck to steal property from inside. Can't do much about that. Thieves have gotten quite sophisticated and it's naive to think they can't steal our trucks in the few minutes it takes you to run into Home Depot and get your plumbing repair supplies, etc

Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
​​​​​​Tell that to the hundreds of Ford truck owners across the US that have had their trucks stolen (driven away) each year. I'm talking about stolen trucks where the thief gained access (extremely easy on Ford trucks), hot wired the vehicle and drove away. This shouldn't be confused with Larceny (or theft) from a motor vehicle where the thief simply breaks a window or door handle and enters the truck to steal property from inside. Can't do much about that. Thieves have gotten quite sophisticated and it's naive to think they can't steal our trucks in the few minutes it takes you to run into Home Depot and get your plumbing repair supplies, etc
A casual thief isn't going to hotwire most modern vehicles. That requires the thief be prepared and equipped. If that's the case its unlikely you will be able to defeat him without a fairly elaborate anti-theft system. Yes, it happens but outside of where the 'professional car theft rings' operate, its uncommon.

Ford truck get stolen because they are plentiful and easy to dispose of. When I was living in the Southwestern US a few years ago (for a few months) I had business in Mexico and therefore crossed the boarder regularly. I actually saw a a couple of F150s being driven in Mexico that were obviously hotwired and still had their California and Arizona license plates.