O2 sensor draining battery? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

O2 sensor draining battery?

 
  #1  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
O2 sensor draining battery?

I have a 1992 F150, 300 6cyl, that I've had forever. Always a good truck, but for the past 6 months or so, if it sets for a couple weeks, it will drain the battery. The truck isn't driven much, so it's dead often. The old battery was weak when tested, so I replace it, and it still kills the new battery in a few weeks. I tested for parasitic drain at the negative battery cable, and found the drain to be 110 ma, so I started pulling fuses. I found that the problem is the fuse for the O2 sensor heater, b/u lights, and camper battery power, which I'm not sure it has. I unplugged the O2 sensor and the drain is gone. I was under the assumption that the O2 sensor heater was operated by the EEC, and only with the key on. Is this correct? This makes me wonder about the relay that powers the EEC sticking. Has anyone had this issue, or have any suggestions?
 
  #2  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 AM
rla2005's Avatar
rla2005
rla2005 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,897
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Fuse E should be hot only when the key is in the Run position. If it is hot with the key in the Off position and/or removed you have an ignition switch problem. May need adjusted or replaced.

The O2 sensor heater circuit is not controlled by the computer, it is supposed to get power only when the key is in the Run position.




The heater circuit is powered on the Pink/Orange (P/O) wire and the ground is the Black (BK) wire.
 
  #3  
Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
I appreciate the information. I can see how this could be. If it is the switch causing the issues, then I would assume the back up lights would also have a small amount of current to them with the key off also, since they are on the same fuse as the O2 sensor heater. I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but I will be shortly, and I'll leave a post of the results. THANKS!
 
  #4  
Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
I checked the backup lights, and I do have a small amount of voltage with the key off. Iíll be changing the ignition switch in the next few days. Thanks for the help!
 
  #5  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced the ignition switch, and it changed nothing. It still has a 110 ma draw at the negative terminal to negative cable. As I unplug the O2 sensor it drops significantly. Or.. if it put the truck in reverse with the key off, it will also give a 110 ma draw when the O2 sensor is unplugged. Both off the same fuse. Any ideas??
 
  #6  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:37 PM
ZombieF150's Avatar
ZombieF150
ZombieF150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: AR
Posts: 287
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
check your reverse light circuit wiring for chafing and or the switch that activates the reverse lights? check the socket the lights go in with the meter and see if you can detect a draw there.
 
  #7  
Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 PM
rla2005's Avatar
rla2005
rla2005 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,897
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
I replaced the ignition switch, and it changed nothing. It still has a 110 ma draw at the negative terminal to negative cable. As I unplug the O2 sensor it drops significantly. Or.. if it put the truck in reverse with the key off, it will also give a 110 ma draw when the O2 sensor is unplugged. Both off the same fuse. Any ideas??
This goes back to the whole concept that circuit is not energized unless the key is in the Run position. Before you replaced the ignition switch did you verufy there is no voltage output with the key in the Off position or completely removed???

The power to Fuse E comes from the ignition switch on a Gray/Yellow wire. With the key Off or removed there should be zero volts on that wire. Since you are still getting current draw, with your meter swt to amps and inline with the negative battery terminal and cable, that implies there is still voltage on that circuit when there is not supposed to be.

Just to keep both of us from going crazy set your meter to DC volts, place the black meter lead on the battery negative terminal (or a known good ground) and the red meter lead on either side of Fuse E. There should be zero volts on that circuit. If there is real voltage, which would trigger the current you are measuring, something is keeping the ignition switch from opening completely in the Off position. The nylon actuator comes to mind as a possible root cause.

 
  #8  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
With the switch off AND the key removed, there is a trace voltage (approximately .5 volts) present on the switch side of the fuse, with the fuse REMOVED. This tells me that it isn't a wiring issue backfeeding to the fuse. I replaced the switch and no change. I did not check with the switch removed, but the switch is in the off position out of the box. I've even turned the key back and forth a little, while looking for a change in current draw. The tumbler assembly has some play in it, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the current. I will remove the harness plug from the switch and check it again in the next couple days. I'm usually pretty good on wiring issues, but this has me going crazy now.
 
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Scndsin's Avatar
Scndsin
Scndsin is offline
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 7,607
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
This probably has no bearing, BUT you never know...

A chapter buddy had some issues a couple years back on his 150 with either a code or blowing a fuse...

We traced it down to the hot cable/O2 harness where it had rubbed trough on the cross-member.

Don't even remember what wire or anything. Just know where.

Maybe this will help or maybe totally screw you up & send you down a rabbit hole.

Good luck.
 
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 AM
70f100longbed's Avatar
70f100longbed
70f100longbed is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Raleigh USA
Posts: 1,594
70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.
IIRC the O2 wiring is in the same loom as the battery cables. Any corrosion or acid that has migrated down the cable can backfeed voltage through the O2 wiring. I would put the O2 wiring in its own loom and clean it with baking soda/ water to neutralize any acid.
 
  #11  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Fummins
Fummins is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Le Roy, WV
Posts: 46
Fummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
If that were the case, there would be voltage showing on the load side of the fuse socket, instead of the line side, with the fuse removed. I'll double check today.
THANKS!
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.