1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Truck Bed weights, 1964 longbed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM
leeinphx
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Truck Bed weights, 1964 longbed

Couldn't find anything on this, so figured i would throw this up,for your information purposes. I have a 1964, long bed, style side, with the incorporated tool box.. I'm working on selling the bed to swap out to a flare side (Step side for the common vernacular). The bed is off the truck and sitting on a trailer, so i jacked up one end and put a bathroom scale under it and is showed 260 pounds with the tailgate. Then jacked up the front with the back now still on the trailer deck and it showed 260 pounds. this puts it around 490 pounds total.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to get a shipping weight for this bed?

I have it up on Ebay right now, but will make a deal with anyone who may have a long or short flareside they don;t need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123626017617

Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
In either case, shipping, or should we say freight, would be multiple times the cost of the bed. Someone is always looking for a decent bed, more likely to pick it up with a trailer...IMO weight is irrelevant.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 266 Posts
More pics.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:33 AM
jpk_ks
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah - shipping something like that you're looking at volume shipping on a car hauler/trailer. They will want to know the weight, in general, but 490 sounds light. I have a longbed '66 that I've stripped the middle sheet metal out of and my FIL and I can lift the bed together (without the frame or rear end attached). My guess is it weights around 300 or more on it's own without the middle of the sheet metal and the tailgate. If it's just the bed, I'd consider 600 pounds to be the weight (especially as mine does not have the toolbox).

Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by leeinphx
Couldn't find anything on this, so figured i would throw this up,for your information purposes. I have a 1964, long bed, style side, with the incorporated tool box.. I'm working on selling the bed to swap out to a flare side (Step side for the common vernacular). The bed is off the truck and sitting on a trailer, so i jacked up one end and put a bathroom scale under it and is showed 260 pounds with the tailgate. Then jacked up the front with the back now still on the trailer deck and it showed 260 pounds. this puts it around 490 pounds total.

I have it up on Ebay right now, but will make a deal with anyone who may have a long or short flareside they don;t need.

kinda hard to sell something like that with only one not so good pic. How about more pics to show actual condition?

by the way the ‘64 box is by itself is different in a lot of the sheet metal. Different from 65-66. Although it can be made to work it’s not a direct bolt on.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM
leeinphx
Mountain Pass
I wasn't; actually trying to sell it as much as get some of the great comments on it's weight. The pick was mainly to show exactly what style I'm dealing with as some people work better from pictures (Like Me). Here is a photobucket if you are interested. leeinphx's Library | Photobucket

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 PM
RangerMercMan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on going from Stylesde to Flareside

Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 PM
leeinphx
Mountain Pass
Yeah, my first truck when I was 16 was a '64 flare side short bed, so I'm trying to relive my youth in some ways, but with some modern conveniences and a reliable engine.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts

Your photo's on CL show condition much better. I would be interested in it for parts, namely the bedsides if easily repairable. Floor and tailgate look a bit far gone to make a premium box/bed. Unclear condition of front panel but looks ok from your other Pic on CL with a few dents down low.

Its probably better than most box/beds in the rust belt states so there it would have more value than here in the valley. It does look like its in better condition than my '66 Trailer bed/box.

Or if you just want a real weight on it I would be happy to do that for you as have certified scales we could weigh it right on the trailer.

490 lbs is possible but sounds a bit light. I do not think a shipper would care or even check exact weight as its more about the size/shape.

Two people can lift a short bed box without gate or tool box but the long beds a bit much.

I have been planning on getting exact weight on one of my many long boxes. It would be nice to know exact weight.

IMHO a very nice box, bed with gate that is dent and rust free is worth 2500.00 but its gotta be really really nice.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:50 AM
leeinphx
Mountain Pass
I may take you up on getting it weighed. Would be nice to have that information out there in a more definitive manner than the way I did it.

I completely agree about condition of beds too. This looks bad in pics mainly because of the rattle can paint job someone did once in its life. Most of it has evaporated off in the sun. Its certainly not a show quality bed, but for someone doing a basic solid driver, that's the market I'm after.

I'm looking at a flareside bed that is on a trailer frame, so if I get that, may swap them. I can then take a weekend and sand the rattle can job off, and get a good primer coat on it. That would show its overall condition much better without the distraction of the mottled color. For $500 I wasn't going to put a lot of effort in it, but this bed has so little rust, that it's probably worth putting some time in it. My original selling thought was to not hide anything associated with its condition so the buyer would know exactly what they are getting. I'm always was suspicious of primered parts as that could hide some condition issues.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:47 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
For 1964 in the Salemens Facts Book they list a

Cab - 128" wheelbase = Base curb weight of 3100 pounds

Cab and 8-ft Separate Styleside Pickup - 128" wheelbase - Base curb weight of 3560 pounds

Difference should be bed and tailgate and attaching parts = 460 pounds. No bedside tool compartment factored into that.

Chad

Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 PM
leeinphx
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by TA455HO
For 1964 in the Salemens Facts Book they list a

Cab - 128" wheelbase = Base curb weight of 3100 pounds

Cab and 8-ft Separate Styleside Pickup - 128" wheelbase - Base curb weight of 3560 pounds

Difference should be bed and tailgate and attaching parts = 460 pounds. No bedside tool compartment factored into that.

Chad
Thanks Chad. So looks like it would be closer to 550 pounds with the tailgate and tool box.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:29 AM
shadyside1983
Junior User
Weight becomes an issue with common carriers as their rates are based on the commodity and its weight.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 AM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Thanks Chad. So looks like it would be closer to 550 pounds with the tailgate and tool box.
PM Sent. Extremely interested. Have brother in Surprise AZ can work out details, etc.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM
RangerMercMan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shadyside1983
Weight becomes an issue with common carriers as their rates are based on the commodity and its weight.
I agree that shipping companies need the weight. At least as far as Canada is concerned the weights of all objects are needed so that you know the total weight you are hauling. You do not want to be caught being overweight for what you are certified for.

Quick Reply: Truck Bed weights, 1964 longbed