Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best budget turbo or turbo rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 AM
searya
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best budget turbo or turbo rebuild

My turbo blew in my 2000 ford excursion.

I already have have it and the pedestal out.

The car has 315k miles on it so looking to get it back on the road economically.

Any suggestions on for good quality but econical parts I should put into it?

parts I may need:
  1. turbo or rebuild kit (I haven’t opened the turbo up yet to see what happened but there was lots of grinding I heard and there is lots of oil in every tube going to or from the turbo)
  2. orings for turbo and pedestal
  3. new bolts for turbo and pedestal?
  4. New turbo hoses?
  5. intercooler? Not sure how much oil got in there
  6. Pedestal without ebp? https://www.dieseltruckpartsdirect.c...iABEgKUdvD_BwE
Aldo just about everything except the hpop and water pump are original. So are there other things that I should do while the turbo is out.?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I have a modded turbo that has a relatively recent rebuild and a non-EBPV pedestal...for sale.

You probably can't pm yet so contact me at vossmachine@gmail.com if you might be interested.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Clay at Riff Raff diesel will have what you need. I would do the pedestal delete if you don’t need it. Look at billet wheel as an upgrade. Check Plenums, maybe do the inserts, new clamps, check the up pipes replace with bellowed ups. HPOP hoses if you have the originals still in the truck. Passenger side fuel line. Only use OEM orings.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
I've got a stock take off turbo with only 100k miles on it I'll let got cheap!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:55 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by searya
Any suggestions on for good quality but econical parts I should put into it?

parts I may need:

1. turbo or rebuild kit (I haven’t opened the turbo up yet to see what happened but there was lots of grinding I heard and there is lots of oil in every tube going to or from the turbo)
  2. orings for turbo and pedestal
  3. new bolts for turbo and pedestal?
  4. New turbo hoses?
  5. intercooler? Not sure how much oil got in there
  6. Pedestal without ebp? https://www.dieseltruckpartsdirect.c...iABEgKUdvD_BwE
Aldo just about everything except the hpop and water pump are original. So are there other things that I should do while the turbo is out.?
Plenty to choose from at Riffraff: https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/turbo-rebuild-kits/

1. I used the Garrett GTP38 journal beariing rebuild kit but the 360 kit is the popular item now.
2. Always install new o-rings (2 sets) when re-installing the turbo. It's not worth saving the pocket change to have to pull everything back apart because of a $1 o-ring. Riffraff sells a re-install kit that comes with new o-rings and bolts.
3. It's been awhile since I had my turbo out but I treat those bolts as TTY. I don't re-use them. New bolts come in the kit I mentioned in #2.
4. What do you mean "hoses"? If you are talking about the boots I wouldn't replace them unless you have a problem with them or they are damaged. I would get better clamps first. Clean the boots with brake cleaner and put on some good clamps and you should be okay unless you're sled pulling.
5. I wouldn't worry about oil in your IC...it's already there. Your CCV dumps into your turbo inlet so oil has been running through your intake since the first time it was started.
6. I have that as well as the "high flow" non-ebpv outlet. I'm happy with it as I no longer have potential leaks from that system, but I do live in a warmer climate than most.

I would recommend that you inspect your up-pipes. If you have the funds I recommend putting some bellowed up-pipes in there. I went the IH route but many have been happy with the Dormans for a fraction of what I paid for mine.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM
HueyCrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 360 kit (includes O rings, new bolts and housing seals), a 5x5 billet wheel, EBPV delete housing, the resistor for the pedestal sensor plug and the 33 psi W/G actuator waiting for when I pull mine out. I think I came out right around $300. I'd suggest cleaning as much gunk out of the valley area as you can. From what I've read it seems that the pedestal can be a culprit for leaks.