67 F250 brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM
jsc83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
67 F250 brake lines

Hey folks,
Looking for a little help with pre-bent brake lines. I've found a couple sources for these, but it seems like they all go up to '66 or start at '68
I have an '67 F250 4wd application with original drums all around and I'm looking to redo all the brake lines.
Please hold off on the conversion to disc brakes. I'd much rather work on disc brakes, but it's not in the budget and I'm trying to keep the truck as close to stock as possible.
I know that the 67 has some odd ball things in it. Just wondering what others experience is with the brake lines.
Also, I have the same question for the pressure differential valve. I'd like to pull that apart and clean it up, but I'm not sure where to get the o rings.
As always, your expert opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
You might at least consider a product called NiCopp brake line, it comes in rolls - not plug and play, but it is very easy to bend up, and very easy to flare.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Musclecarresearch.com has the rebuild kits. I've had the best luck removing the inner plunger by using a propane torch to get the old o rings really smoking and a special set of ground down needle nose pliers. The original ones are really stuck.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 AM
jsc83
Senior User
Tedster9- thanks for the suggestion on the brake line. I dont mind fabbing the shorter lines. I was really hoping the pre-bent long ones would fit.
mrp- thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize it would be that had to take apart. Its sitting in brake fluid, how stuck could it be. Appreciate the reality check.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:56 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can push them apart with a grease gun, too. +1 on the nicopp lines. The bending and flaring tools are pretty specialized can be handy to have around from time to time. I used mine forthe steel gas line when I deleted my mechanical fuel pump (good riddance!)

Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 PM
jsc83
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveJH
You can push them apart with a grease gun, too. +1 on the nicopp lines. The bending and flaring tools are pretty specialized can be handy to have around from time to time. I used mine forthe steel gas line when I deleted my mechanical fuel pump (good riddance!)
Hey Steve, can you explain that? I'm not seeing what you do with the grease gun. Thanks

Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
I got the idea online some place, maybe here and a search might pull it up.
I went to NAPA and got some fittings to connect them. One end was a brake fitting, attached to some brake line - I used the end of one of my old brake lines since I was making new ones anyways. I don't remember exactly what the other end was, maybe an AN fitting...its been a while. The counter man at the parts store helped me find the pieces that made it work. I just took the gun and the brake line to the store. It screwed on to the grease gun and it pushed out the plunger easy.
You have to make sure to clean the valve out really well afterwards, petroleum products and brake components do not mix well.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:05 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 195 Likes on 179 Posts
As far as pre-bent lines go 67 to 72 F250 4WD are the same. I could not find a source for a kit. I understand your desire to keep it stock. What axle do you have in your truck Jeff? I happen to have a set of Flexible front lines and the knuckle seals for the 44HD axle found in the 67-72 F250's. Let me know if you need these, I am never going to use them.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I will look tomarrow at the box and let you know where I bought the brake lines for my truck. I can't remember if it was Summit or RockAuto.com.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you fabricate your own lines, you don't have to worry whether or not they'll fit your application.

I fabricated all the brake lines on this '65 F100, from scratch, from coiled 3/16" steel brake tubing.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 AM
lambchops25
Senior User
Geez, ultraranger, you do beautiful work. It seems every post I've seen of yours where you've made something, it comes out perfect. How about making something ugly for a change. When ever I bend brake lines, it looks like a 3 year old put it together... blind folded.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Davon3598
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jsc83
Hey folks,
Looking for a little help with pre-bent brake lines. I've found a couple sources for these, but it seems like they all go up to '66 or start at '68
I have an '67 F250 4wd application with original drums all around and I'm looking to redo all the brake lines.
Please hold off on the conversion to disc brakes. I'd much rather work on disc brakes, but it's not in the budget and I'm trying to keep the truck as close to stock as possible.
I know that the 67 has some odd ball things in it. Just wondering what others experience is with the brake lines.
Also, I have the same question for the pressure differential valve. I'd like to pull that apart and clean it up, but I'm not sure where to get the o rings.
As always, your expert opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jeff
hello! I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago.. I was literally seconds away from fabricating my own brake lines. It’s not as easy as you may think haha. Call “inline tube” and ask them if they have any prebent lines for your application. I bought prebent lines from them for my 69 F250 2WD drum brakes all the way around. The fitment is near perfect but you must remember the aftermarket has its flaws and you will have to bend them a little by hand to get them to fit.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Davon3598
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by lambchops25
Geez, ultraranger, you do beautiful work. It seems every post I've seen of yours where you've made something, it comes out perfect. How about making something ugly for a change. When ever I bend brake lines, it looks like a 3 year old put it together... blind folded.
Do not feel bad.. I bought prebent lines for mine and it still looks like a shady job. I plan on fixing it in the future when I do a disc brake conversion.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:32 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by lambchops25
LOL. Things don't always turn out exactly like I envision them but, it's not from a lack of trying. It's just that sometimes there are forces in the universe that conspire against me. Fortunately, if you screw up a section of brake tubing, it's cheap to redo.

Nobody ever showed me how to bend or flare tubing. It's just something I picked up on my own by fooling with it and anybody with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can do it too.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM
lambchops25
Senior User
I can either make it pretty, or functional, I haven't mastered the art of doing both yet.

Quick Reply: 67 F250 brake lines