Wire getting crispy - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Wire getting crispy

Old 01-29-2019, 04:36 PM
Andy47130
Junior User
Andy47130 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wire getting crispy

Small wire leads to starter solenoid is getting very hot and crispy.
1986 f250 4wd auto 6.9l When I try to start the truck the small wire pictured gets very hot. This is the negative terminal of my main battery and the small wire goes to the starter solenoid. I am wondering if it is a bad connection just being under the terminal post or if something else is going bad.

I have an air intrusion problem and the fuel drains back to the tank so I have to crank a lot to get it started. this wire gets hot almost immediately. I cleaned the terminals recently and sprayed them with anti-corrosion spray so the top of the battery is covered with over spray.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
if that small ground wire is getting very hot when cranking, i would have ot say you have a dirty ground connection either on one of the main battery cables, or at the starter to block joint itself.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Andy, if all of your battery cables look like that it's time to replace them. My battery cables were crispy like that so I broke down and replaced them. Best $90 I spent on the truck. The starter pulls ALOT of current and needs good cables and clean connections to work properly. Even parts store cheapies would be better than those old, fried ones.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 AM
Andy47130
Junior User
Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
Andy, if all of your battery cables look like that it's time to replace them. My battery cables were crispy like that so I broke down and replaced them. Best $90 I spent on the truck. The starter pulls ALOT of current and needs good cables and clean connections to work properly. Even parts store cheapies would be better than those old, fried ones.
I will do it. I was curious if the wire getting hot meant I had a starter that needed to be replaced.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM
Olds64
Elder User
More than likely the smoking wire was caused by excess resistance since the cables are old and crispy. You can always take your starter to an auto parts store to be tested, but I bet new battery cables will fix your problems. It will start easier and you won't get anymore smoking when the starter draws a ton of current.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Andy47130
Junior User
Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
More than likely the smoking wire was caused by excess resistance since the cables are old and crispy. You can always take your starter to an auto parts store to be tested, but I bet new battery cables will fix your problems. It will start easier and you won't get anymore smoking when the starter draws a ton of current.
What gauge wire should I use? I replaced the crossover cable a few years ago so it is in good shape. I used a really thick wire but don't remember the gauge.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Olds64
Elder User
I recently had battery cables built for my truck and I used 00 gauge welding cable. The pigtails that connect to the starter relay can be about 12 gauge.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Andy47130
Junior User
I am making new cables. I am on my second attempt at soldering a new terminal to the 4/0 positive cable. I want to crimp and solder the connection. Crimping is easy, I just squeezed it in my bench vise, just enough to hold. how do I solder the connection without melting the insulation on the wire? I am googling but not much luck so far.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
slide a 6-8 inch piece of heat shrink tubing down the cable. tin the connector, then crimp it. then it will be easier to solder. once done, trim the burnt insulation off the cable and slide the heat shrink tubing over the connector and exposed wire and heat it to seal over everything.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Andy47130
Junior User
Originally Posted by Andy47130 View Post
I am making new cables. I am on my second attempt at soldering a new terminal to the 4/0 positive cable. I want to crimp and solder the connection. Crimping is easy, I just squeezed it in my bench vise, just enough to hold. how do I solder the connection without melting the insulation on the wire? I am googling but not much luck so far.
Figured it out. Used visegrips as a heat sink. Google taledt about heat sinks regarding soldering electronics so I just scaled it up several notches.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Andy, that's good that you figured out how to solder the terminals.

You can get battery cable crimpers. I considered building my own cables but I just used an electrical supply company recommended by a friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping-x/dp/B06XR8BY65/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549891273&sr=8-3&keywords=cable+crimper https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping-x/dp/B06XR8BY65/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549891273&sr=8-3&keywords=cable+crimper

Let us know how it starts.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
From the picture, that appears to me to be a cold solder joint. I don't see where the solder flowed well into the strands of the conductor.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Andy, since Ray mentioned misgivings about the solder job you did I will also mention that I've heard that battery cables should never be soldered. The starter motor draws ALOT of current. The high current and heat that made your old cables crispy can also cause solder joints to fail. I was reluctant to mention it earlier but you can take or leave my advice.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Charmalu
Senior User
Charmalu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Last Friday I had the negative drivers side cable made at NAPA. Used 1/0 gauge wire, and they crimped on the
ring terminal ends. On the Battery side Iam using a battery clamp with the threaded stud and Wing Nut.

Napa used a crimper you beat on with a hammer, something like this one.
Amazon Amazon

4 yrs ago I had CARQUEST in Santa Cruz make the battery cables for the Pass side. They used some long
handle crimper pliers. something like these. It`s a UK site but you get the idea.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....0/category/304

Some good info on proper lug/ring terminal ends and proper crimps.

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

I use to think soldering was the way to go, but did some reading, and crimping is better.

Charlie

Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Andy47130
Junior User
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
From the picture, that appears to me to be a cold solder joint. I don't see where the solder flowed well into the strands of the conductor.
It seemed to flow very well. I applied the heat to the connector and applied the solder to the cable and let it run through the cable strands, basically filled the connector completely full of solder. There is about a two foot length of solder melted in there. The cables I replaced were soldered. If I have done it incorrectly, it won't take long to find out. As of now, nothing seems to be getting hot. I am pretty much clueless so I welcome all feedback and truly appreciate all the help I receive from this forum. You guys/gals are the best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.