Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level or lift kit? 94 f150 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Derekomaha
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level or lift kit? 94 f150 2wd

Hey everyone new to the forum. I have a 94 f150 single cab straight 6 2wd. Truck is at stock ride height currently. I would like to run 33x12.50 tires. Now the question I have is will a 2in leveling kit work or should I buy a lift kit. I know it sits a little lower since it’s 2wd. anything else I should know about to get these tires to fit. I will only be using it as a commuter truck to and from work and a grocery getter.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 AM
MFJ
Senior User
Save your money. I would suggest not going over a 31x10.50x15 on a F150, which should fit at stock ride height, assuming you have the styled steel or aluminum wheels. The base slotted steel wheels do not have enough offset to clear in the front while turning, tire rubs on the radius arm.

What gears in the rear axle do you have? If it is a smaller number than 3.55, you will regret getting bigger tires. Bigger tires will kill your gas mileage (more unsprung weight, and worse aerodynamics), and make it harder to load the groceries. I run 235-75-15 on my F150 (300-E4OD-2wd-3.08 gears) and have gotten up to 21 mpg. It is not great at towing, however.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I've had 3 of these trucks over the last 20 years and they were set up this way. Went bigger once and it was a mistake. Just level it with Superlift 117 front coils or msybe BDS and run 31 10.50. This is really the perfect setup on a 2wd. It will still sit slightly lower up front but nothing like stock. Rides and handles better too. You can go to 32 11.50 if you really want to. Anything bigger with the relatively low power these trucks have will make it no fun to drive. I wouldn't put an actual lift kit on a 2wd unless it's being built as a prerunner.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:34 AM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leveling kits compensate for added weight in front like a winch or a heavy bumper. Using them to point your headlights in people's eyes makes you a dumb@***.

If you screw with your suspension you will end up with a useless POS. It is a good first step on the way to the junkyard.
Learn to laugh at dumb@sses instead of joining the herd. The world has enough sheep already. Work on what is between your ears.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM
DaBrkddy
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift the front and lower the rear. Give her some squat.

...Just kidding!

Leveling springs can help a bit with looks but it doesn't do much good in the grand scheme of things. These trucks were designed to perform well inside the limitations of the equipment. Past that, something's gotta give somewhere. Leveling springs and oversize tires is going to be hard on the steering gear, bushings, ball joints, and shocks. Chances are a set of new stock front springs would help level out your truck; springs do sag as they age.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HardScrabble
Leveling kits compensate for added weight in front like a winch or a heavy bumper. Using them to point your headlights in people's eyes makes you a dumb@***.

If you screw with your suspension you will end up with a useless POS. It is a good first step on the way to the junkyard.
Learn to laugh at dumb@sses instead of joining the herd. The world has enough sheep already. Work on what is between your ears.
You really seem to take everything you see on this forum that you don't like personally. I've seen people do far worse to them than this. Check out OBS Revolution on Facebook. I fail to see how this makes me or anyone else a *******. The truck is a light duty half ton truck. The leveling kit actually still leaves a bit of a height difference in favor of the rear for hauling, as it only raises the front approx 1.5 inches. Just need a good alignment afterwards If the headlights are adjusted appropriately it is just fine. I personally believe that my trucks have all handled and rode better after doing the front springs. It does not infact render the truck useless. Most of these trucks in 2wd form with the extreme rake drive awful (esp cornering) in my opinion. I also added front and rear sway bars to all my trucks like this.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I just do not see what is so bad about this. Headlights are adjusted correctly and are not some ridiculous HID setup. A 4wd F150 and Bronco sit higher. The stock tire size 235 75 15 is far too small and is the same size they used on Rangers and Explorers. A 31 10.50 is perfect for our trucks and I believe was factory on some Broncos.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 PM
MFJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I personally believe that my trucks have all handled and rode better after doing the front springs. It does not infact render the truck useless. Most of these trucks in 2wd form with the extreme rake drive awful (esp cornering) in my opinion. I also added front and rear sway bars to all my trucks like this.
The front and rear sway bars are the difference. Adding the front ones usually requires different spring perches that have the attachment point for the sway bars, so spring replacement is the time to add one.

I feel F150s of this vintage look fine on 31-10.5-15 tires. If bigger tires are desired, especially on a 4x4, might as well go right for a F350 for the solid front axle and stronger frame.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MFJ
The front and rear sway bars are the difference. Adding the front ones usually requires different spring perches that have the attachment point for the sway bars, so spring replacement is the time to add one.

I feel F150s of this vintage look fine on 31-10.5-15 tires. If bigger tires are desired, especially on a 4x4, might as well go right for a F350 for the solid front axle and stronger frame.
You are definitely correct about the sway bars being the significant key to better handling. However, I have almost always had the leveling coils done on each of these trucks before actually doing the sway bars and all around ride quality and handling was improved. I agree about this era of truck looking great with these trucks in half ton form. Thousands of them had this size installed to replace original tires when they were nearly new. Perfect fit. I also tend to agree somewhat about getting a truly bigger truck if one is desired. Always wanted an F250 4wd.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
The stock coils sucked from the factory. Add 20 years of gravity, even worse. They simply ride better with upgraded springs. Could stupidity or laziness hurt the ride? Absolutely....but proper alignment on quality springs is a winning combo.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear springs don't last forever either. The body manual has specifications for ride height.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Derekomaha
New User
Awesome i will defiantly look into the superlift 117 and run 31x10.50. So will the spring up front make it a few inches taller. I will have to look and see what gear ratio I have I’ll have to run the vin and check. I just want to have a nice daily that looks good it’s was my ol mans truck before he passed so I don’t know exactly what he changed on it since he re did the interior engine transmission and paint he basically restored the whole truck. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Derekomaha
New User

Here is a picture of my truck. This is what I’m working with I think 31s wooo look just fine.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Derekomaha
New User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I've had 3 of these trucks over the last 20 years and they were set up this way. Went bigger once and it was a mistake. Just level it with Superlift 117 front coils or msybe BDS and run 31 10.50. This is really the perfect setup on a 2wd. It will still sit slightly lower up front but nothing like stock. Rides and handles better too. You can go to 32 11.50 if you really want to. Anything bigger with the relatively low power these trucks have will make it no fun to drive. I wouldn't put an actual lift kit on a 2wd unless it's being built as a prerunner.

got it it yeah I don’t think I will lift it money isn’t really an issue just because it was my father truck and it has more sentimental value than anything I think I’m gonna look all that up and go with 31s

Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Derekomaha
New User
Originally Posted by MFJ
Save your money. I would suggest not going over a 31x10.50x15 on a F150, which should fit at stock ride height, assuming you have the styled steel or aluminum wheels. The base slotted steel wheels do not have enough offset to clear in the front while turning, tire rubs on the radius arm.

What gears in the rear axle do you have? If it is a smaller number than 3.55, you will regret getting bigger tires. Bigger tires will kill your gas mileage (more unsprung weight, and worse aerodynamics), and make it harder to load the groceries. I run 235-75-15 on my F150 (300-E4OD-2wd-3.08 gears) and have gotten up to 21 mpg. It is not great at towing, however.

i attached a photo of my truck below. I’m not sure on what I have for my rear end I just got the truck from my father. I really just want to get a little bit of a lift up from really just to give it more of an aggressive look with mud tires without going too crazy.

Quick Reply: Level or lift kit? 94 f150 2wd