2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lets Talk Finance!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:13 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
Lets Talk Finance!!

I know it's not the most fun topic but I need some advice. I have never purchased a new vehicle and don't have much experience with vehicle loans. I know houses only.

I'll be picking my truck up in about a week or two and trying to get this finance thing figured out. Originally wanted to go through the business but the rate is almost 10%. The dealer I am using ran the numbers and through ME only got it to about 5.44% if I put 10K-25K down and finance the rest. I originally wanted to put about 50K down and finance the balance but the dealer told me if I put that much down the rate sky rockets. He said anything over 25K down the rates go high. I contacted a local credit union who is at 3.44% and does not matter, NEW or USED or the amount I borrow.

My thought is go through Ford finance to save the $500 on the truck with lets say $25,000 down. Then when I get home make a payment of 20-25K towards the truck and refinance the rest through a credit union. I am trying to keep the payments down and not in the $700-$1000 range.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I financed through Ford for the 500 then paid it off 3 weeks later. OTD was 57. I put 30 down and financed 27 at 3%

Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 AM
catrasca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your plan will work. Get the rebate and then pay it off, refinance or a combination of both. Do not listen to your dealer. He will oppose you paying it off or refinancing because he will gt penalized by Ford and lose the incentives he gets for selling a FFS loan.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 AM
flanneljunkie
Tuned
Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts
Your plan is just fine. I've done it myself a couple times. Finance through Ford for the rebate, wait for the paperwork to finalize, account numbers to be assigned, etc. Then refinance with your credit union. I think it took about 7 to 9 days for my last loan to work its way through the process. Best not to mention it to your dealer, as many dealers lie about the process.

Best of luck, and post pictures after you get the truck home.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 AM
Chrislorl6211
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed with all, the dealer makes money on the back end when they run through Ford finance, just let them go that way and then refi through your bank.
The only thing to watch is retail money, right now Ford is offering $1250.00 cash back on a 2019 and more on a 2018 but not if you finance through Ford. So you may end up better with that.
Here is a link to dealer incentives: https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-250-s...ty/2019/deals/

Old 01-24-2019, 06:29 AM
Pioneer1
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Finance thru Ford then bail on their finance. I love the vehicles but they make tons of money on the finance end. Somehow we ended up paying an extra charge to Ford every month. We just paid it off couple months later but it was around a$50 extra charge. They are not doing the $500 rebate out of the goodness of their heart.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and watch out as you go thru the finance department.. they WILL try to slime in ANYTHING they can.. check every number and object to anything more than the truck.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Fred Dollen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattymax
... the dealer told me if I put that much down the rate sky rockets. He said anything over 25K down the rates go high.
I smell BS. The more you put down translate to less risk for the lender, which should lead to lower interest rates, not higher.

I suspect the dealer makes less money from 'small' loans vs larger ones, and that's why they're feeding you this line of BS.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Just run your plan by your credit union first to make sure they'll go along. Having the big Ford debt hanging over your head may change their outlook. I know it's done all the time and shouldn't be a big deal. I'd just make sure your bases are covered before you bite on Ford's financing. But with your substantial down payment I'm guessing you'll be fine with the CU because of so much positive equity.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by sdetweil
and watch out as you go thru the finance department.. they WILL try to slime in ANYTHING they can.. check every number and object to anything more than the truck.
Agreed. Watch out for extended warranties, fabric protection, paint protection, gap insurance, etc. You shouldn't need gap with the money you're putting up front. If you want any of that stuff is one thing but don't let them try to slide it under the radar

Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
Pay cash for it.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Nosedive10
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Second this for sure. Dealers tried it on us when we bought my truck and my wife's explorer. Two different dealers. Great buying experiences for both until we got to the point of signing papers. Watch the numbers carefully no matter how you are paying for it. They try and tack on all sorts of B.S. for instance on the Explorer wanted to charge $100 for wheel locks and $500 seat stain and pain coverage on my truck.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought cash incentives were usually the best deal? Either way, have your dealer show you all the numbers, cash, the lower down, and the higher down. They're going to try to distract you with rates, monthly payments, etc.. Take them in, but then ignore those. You're only interested in the outstanding balance required to pay off the loan.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nosedive10
Second this for sure. Dealers tried it on us when we bought my truck and my wife's explorer. Two different dealers. Great buying experiences for both until we got to the point of signing papers. Watch the numbers carefully no matter how you are paying for it. They try and tack on all sorts of B.S. for instance on the Explorer wanted to charge $100 for wheel locks and $500 seat stain and pain coverage on my truck.
ignore the chit/chat, they WILL try to distract you... friend worked there for a while... their JOB was to increase revenue.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Dollen
I smell BS. The more you put down translate to less risk for the lender, which should lead to lower interest rates, not higher.

I suspect the dealer makes less money from 'small' loans vs larger ones, and that's why they're feeding you this line of BS.
Exactly! The larger the loan, the more they get paid as the bank is expected to make more off the back end. Never trust anything finance at the dealership tells you.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
And when they say you have to pay for the extras like paint, seat protection, window etching etc because it was already done, tell them to remove those items (probably wasn’t done anyway).

If they balk, get up and walk out.
Pretty much guaranteed you won’t make it to the door before they back off.

Finance, go with the best deal then change after a month. When we bought our new RV last year the best rates were only with 20 year notes. That’s what I did to get out the door. Refinanced it last month.

Don't roll an extended service plan into the loan.
You cannot get the best deal at your selling dealer.

You have have extra cash? Buy the service contract from one of the online Ford dealers. Probably be half of what your dealer is offering.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Finance!!