Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbocharger pedestal assembly/smog issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:17 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42

I'm not saying that's what did them in but living through this every 2 years I try to keep things under the hood looking as inconspicuous and benign as possible, especially if it's not.
This is pretty much my mentality upon my return this week. I am hoping I don't have to take my chip off, but if I do, no big deal. Everything else looks and is completely stock other than my air intake.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
It's little things like that which help avert a lot of extra hassles.
My sentiments exactly. It also helps to dress in business casual and ask for a lot of explanations.

Nothing in my engine compartment is painted, my boots are from Dieselsite (no markings) except for the one from Riffraff when I did the 6.0 IC (and the Riffraff logo is rotated so that it is on the bottom facing the ground), and my Banks Big Head wastegate controller label fell off. I try to keep everything I do as OEM looking as possible to avoid any undue attention.

Last year I got ganked for my mechanical wastegate controller (even though it passed the previous time and the shop told me it was okay before I bought it) so there's no guarantee from one inspection to the next. If you stray from OEM you'll always be holding your breath every two years.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
I am hoping I don't have to take my chip off, but if I do, no big deal. Everything else looks and is completely stock other than my air intake.
I haven't had an issue with my chip yet and have had one (6-pos or Hydra) since the inspections started in 2010. The techs learn more and more each year but the one consistent thing is that the ones I've been to spend very little time in the cab. They turn the key, check the lights, start it up, watch the lights go out, then take their 1000 lumen flashlight and camp out under the hood for a lot longer than I would like. The only time they get back in the cab is to do the Snap Test and then get back out to give you the good/bad news.

As for intake, as long as their is a some kind of commercially available filter clamped to the turbo inlet and and all the red/green lines are connected you will pass.

To the OP - since you already failed I would get done what you can/want then go back and talk to the tech. He might give you a "pre-inspection" and let you know if what you've done will be enough for you to pass. When I left the station last year I made sure he told me specifically what I had to do make the truck pass his visual inspection. That way when I came back I was confident the truck would pass.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Brian, I may go to see your tech even if I have to drive a little. No big deal to me.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 AM
socal_pzy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im trying to re-read everything to see if this is a double mention.. But RiffRaff sales a $40 device thats suppose to clear the soft codes.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/ebp-p...lator-pigtail/

Im assuming this wouldnt raise any red flags and prevent a deep inspection.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by socal_pzy
Im trying to re-read everything to see if this is a double mention.. But RiffRaff sales a $40 device thats suppose to clear the soft codes.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/ebp-p...lator-pigtail/

Im assuming this wouldnt raise any red flags and prevent a deep inspection.
That's exactly what I have. The terminated end of the pigtail is tucked deep into the mess of wiring that runs over the valley.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the Riff Raff code eliminators for EBPV and IAH, they both work great.

We don't have visual inspection on these here in CO, only opacity test, so I cannot comment on how they work with emissions.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Brie
New User
Thanks everyone, for taking the time to help me resolve this. And I appreciate the experience, advice and generous offers for parts offered by so many.
Bf is being stubborn, unreasonable, really fu*king irritating in regards to what he is willing to do to move forward, so I wait...He is terrible at math too, I've concluded, because "free" and even "just pay shipping" seem too good to pass up, in my opinion. I wish I could find offers like that when I'm shoe shopping. 😉
i should have just accepted them as soon as I read them, instead of trying to involve him in the decision making process....
Anyway, not sure why we didn't think of it sooner, but bf has another 7.3 rotting away on a friend's property about 100 miles from us, so I bullied him into asking his friend (thankfully, a mechanically inclined friend) to check the pedestal on that truck. Maybe we can do a lil switcheroo, the other truck needs a bazillion valve replacements, or some damn thing and won't need it's pedestal for a while...In the meantime i shall pray, light candles, incense etc and beseech the great spirit of Henry Ford to give us his blessing this day.
If this fails, I'll take it that H Ford's ghost has forsaken us, and advise bf to go buy a Chevy...
.....I'm kidding guys, I swear. That was a joke. 😊

Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 PM
Brie
New User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
I don't know what you and your bf do for a living but, there are jobs elsewhere. I left CA in 1993 and never looked back.
we are both California kids, born and raised. I won't move permanently unless Cali gets shook off the map and Arizona/nevada become coastal states.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brie
we are both California kids, born and raised. I won't move permanently unless Cali gets shook off the map and Arizona/nevada become coastal states.
CA kids or not, it is a great place to live. CA makes up more of the US economy than any other state. Gorgeous beaches, mountains, great weather, good diversity, and they lead the charge on technology which, like it or not, is the future. I always wonder why so many people complain about CA but have never been there; my inbred relatives in Ohio do this all the time. Yeah it's expensive, but salaries are way higher too. It's not for everyone - and that's fine - but there are many reasons why so many people move there and live there. Same with Colorado in 2018. If a ****ty old pickup truck were my top priority, I'd go live in Dumb****istan. The day my truck can't be registered, I'll sell it out of state or crush it. Otherwise I am keeping it until a decent all-electric option becomes available.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:55 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Brie
Finally a fellow Californian who gets it. I should give you rep points for this statement alone.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by beef ****
CA kids or not, it is a great place to live. CA makes up more of the US economy than any other state. Gorgeous beaches, mountains, great weather, good diversity, and they lead the charge on technology which, like it or not, is the future. I always wonder why so many people complain about CA but have never been there; my inbred relatives in Ohio do this all the time. Yeah it's expensive, but salaries are way higher too. It's not for everyone - and that's fine - but there are many reasons why so many people move there and live there. Same with Colorado in 2018. If a ****ty old pickup truck were my top priority, I'd go live in Dumb****istan. The day my truck can't be registered, I'll sell it out of state or crush it. Otherwise I am keeping it until a decent all-electric option becomes available.
I had no idea I had a fellow California that was also like a brother from another mother. Reps coming your way soon.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****
CA kids or not, it is a great place to live.
Some of us just don't know what we're missing. I need more ammo.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Some of us just don't know what we're missing. I need more ammo.
statements above is referred to a symptom called..water on the brain..it happens brah

Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
statements above is referred to a symptom called..water on the brain..it happens brah
I also need more room to store my ammo.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If California is so awful, why is it the most populated state in the union?

Quick Reply: Turbocharger pedestal assembly/smog issue