Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharger pedestal assembly/smog issue

Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM
Brie
New User
Brie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbocharger pedestal assembly/smog issue

My boyfriend tried to get our truck smogged and the tech failed it because the 'turbocharger has been tampered with'. He gave us a blown up schematic of the turbocharger system and and said to replace the pedestal assembly. He said we need to have the type of pedestal assembly that has an exhaust back pressure actuator, however when we tried to purchase that part we found we are unable to have it shipped to us in california.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Have shipped to a friend or family member out of state and then they can ship it to you. Smog techs here are just ****** idiots. Also, call Bob at Diesel ORings. He may be able to ship that part to you.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 AM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the part is unavailable you can get an exemption to be legal without it. Contact the BAR for details.

Option 2, if the smog guy only told you it's not legal and didn't officially fail it, is to take it to another shop that might not be so picky.

Option 3 is an illegal smog, but if the guy officially failed it it'll be harder to get someone else to pass it.

My smog guy doesn't check stuff like that as long as there's not something glaringly obvious that it's been modded. If you live near me I might be able to help you out.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 AM
Brie
New User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
If the part is unavailable you can get an exemption to be legal without it. Contact the BAR for details.

Option 2, if the smog guy only told you it's not legal and didn't officially fail it, is to take it to another shop that might not be so picky.

Option 3 is an illegal smog, but if the guy officially failed it it'll be harder to get someone else to pass it.

My smog guy doesn't check stuff like that as long as there's not something glaringly obvious that it's been modded. If you live near me I might be able to help you out.
The smog guy did fail it.
Boyfriend was a mechanic for a long time, but not a diesel mechanic or a smog tech, he says in most cases when something won't ship to Cali it's because it's not compliant with CA laws. Not sure if that's the case or not, but anyways....
We are in the Bay area, and would be willing to drive a ways to get to someone who could help.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 AM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Brie View Post
The smog guy did fail it.
Boyfriend was a mechanic for a long time, but not a diesel mechanic or a smog tech, he says in most cases when something won't ship to Cali it's because it's not compliant with CA laws. Not sure if that's the case or not, but anyways....
We are in the Bay area, and would be willing to drive a ways to get to someone who could help.
I have a stock pedestal with the ebpv on it that came off a truck with 100k miles on it you can have (just pay for the shipping) Send me a PM if you are interested.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Not sure OP will be able to PM with only 2 posts. Might need an email address or other way to communicate

Brie, What year and model truck?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
If he is failing the pedestal then you need to look and see if the EBP valve is also missing. Often when the pedestal is changed so is the outlet for the turbo to one that does not have the valve in it.

I think I still have one on the shelf but will have to look to make sure. If it's there your welcome to it.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Brie
New User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG View Post
Brie, What year and model truck?
Its a 2001 f350 7.3l diesel, and you're correct about the pm thing. 😊

Last edited by Brie; 01-24-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Brie
New User
Here is some pics of the smog guy's report. They might be more helpful in describing this stuff than I am. I'm not at all mechanical, but I am able to manuever around a forum interface and my bf is the opposite. 😊

This is a pic of the assembly with the wrong type of pedestal. The tech didn't have a schematic of the whole thing with the right one, so he added the next page with the pedestal alone.

This part cannot be shipped to California via a retailer. Not sure why, the 'explanation' was vague, to put it politely.
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that this guy is a smog referee. We took it to him because the regular tech said the truck smokes which is bull*****.

Last edited by Brie; 01-24-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Can you get a good picture or two of what you have in the truck? If you have an EBPV delete pedestal I could use it and could trade you for a stock one. I know you already have an offer for a free one on the table.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Brie
New User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Can you get a good picture or two of what you have in the truck? If you have an EBPV delete pedestal I could use it and could trade you for a stock one. I know you already have an offer for a free one on the table.
I'm sorry, boyfriend doesn't want to trade or even sell any parts until we have absolutely passed and have a valid smog cert.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
I'm sorry, boyfriend doesn't want to trade or even sell any parts until we have absolutely passed and have a valid smog cert.

What Mark is offering is what WILL get you passed.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
What Mark is offering is what WILL get you passed.
Yep
But I understand, if you get the one that AKCooper offered up and want to get rid of the other one let me know.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Brie
New User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Yep

But I understand, if you get the one that AKCooper offered up and want to get rid of the other one let me know.
I think my bf is hoping that the exemption possibility will be viable (as was mentioned in one of the first couple responses to my original post), in your collective expert opinions, does this seem like a waste of effort to persue that course of action? I can use your responses to discourage him from wasting more time/money, so please let me know.
I will try to get a couple pics of what's actually under the hood when bf drags himself out of bed. 😊

Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
You don't need to get more photos. We all know what you are talking about here. It's been done on these trucks a bunch of times. Just contact the BAR and see what you can do. That part isn't hard to change out on the Superduties if your BF knows how to turn a wrench. We can guide him through it. It's a good time to address any leaks anyways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.