1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help with descriptions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by hannealexis
Where would you expect to find the rust - would it be something that you'd buff, seal and repaint or would it be something she'd need to eventually replace? For the sake of the book, it'll be up and running by the end, but probably not finished. But what might she suggest for further down the line to bring it back to it's original'ish glory?
All of the 48-52 trucks have typical rust out areas in the fenders, lower rear cab corners, and lower bed sides. Extreme examples will have rotted floors and structure, although that's more an issue in North Eastern "rust belt" vehicles. It won't buff out. To repair rust correctly means to cut out the rotted areas and weld in new metal. Here's a typical example of 'not too bad' rust. None of this would stop one from driving it, though.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Part of the fun in working on these old trucks is finding the the surprises that the previous owner left behind for you. It can be something interesting, like an old learner's permit from the 60's found in the tool tray. It can be amusing, like finding out that the floorboards have "patched" with an old road sign. It can also be scary, like discovering that the PO blocked off one of the rear brake lines in an attempt to stop it from leaking. Scary because you'd already taken this thing on a test drive.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Where would you expect to find the rust - would it be something that you'd buff, seal and repaint or would it be something she'd need to eventually replace? For the sake of the book, it'll be up and running by the end, but probably not finished. But what might she suggest for further down the line to bring it back to it's original'ish glory?
We have a saying around here that goes something like this, "They are never finished."

Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
We have a saying around here that goes something like this, "They are never finished."
Neither is a book, but sometimes you just gotta write 'The End' and call it good.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Part of the fun in working on these old trucks is finding the the surprises that the previous owner left behind for you. It can be something interesting, like an old learner's permit from the 60's found in the tool tray. It can be amusing, like finding out that the floorboards have "patched" with an old road sign. It can also be scary, like discovering that the PO blocked off one of the rear brake lines in an attempt to stop it from leaking. Scary because you'd already taken this thing on a test drive.
Oh, this is good, thank you! A way to connect the generations. The grandfather died before either grandson met him, so finding something of importance to the grandfather, would be a cool way for them to feel closer to him. I like it, thanks!

Old 01-29-2019, 05:10 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Some of the 'treasures' I found in my truck after it had been sitting in a junkyard for 48 years were the last registration in the glovebox from 1968, a June 1968 issue of 'Farm Journal' magazine, a plastic ice scraper with a gas station logo on it with 'compliments of' that gas station. It was probably handed out as a freebie at a full serve back when gas stations handed out maps, green stamps, dishes and glassware, plastic dinosaurs for kids, litter bags, and other such swag. There was also a small brass fire extinguisher.
And last but not least, a 1965 quarter and a 1964 penny. I still have both of those coins here at my desk right now. I also saved the registration and magazine, now carefully preserved in a zip lock bag. The ice scraper disintegrated by my handling it- cheap plastic only lasts so long.
Tom

Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Some of the 'treasures' I found in my truck after it had been sitting in a junkyard for 48 years were the last registration in the glovebox from 1968, a June 1968 issue of 'Farm Journal' magazine, a plastic ice scraper with a gas station logo on it with 'compliments of' that gas station. It was probably handed out as a freebie at a full serve back when gas stations handed out maps, green stamps, dishes and glassware, plastic dinosaurs for kids, litter bags, and other such swag. There was also a small brass fire extinguisher.
And last but not least, a 1965 quarter and a 1964 penny. I still have both of those coins here at my desk right now. I also saved the registration and magazine, now carefully preserved in a zip lock bag. The ice scraper disintegrated by my handling it- cheap plastic only lasts so long.
Tom
I love this. As a self-proclaimed (and the BA to prove it) History nerd, I love old stuff. It doesn't matter if it's some viking ruins (I used to live in Denmark and they have a lot of that kinda stuff) or stuff from when my grandma was young. It all fascinates me.

There will absolutely be some treasures in grandpa's truck.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
I love this. As a self-proclaimed (and the BA to prove it) History nerd, I love old stuff. It doesn't matter if it's some viking ruins (I used to live in Denmark and they have a lot of that kinda stuff) or stuff from when my grandma was young. It all fascinates me.

There will absolutely be some treasures in grandpa's truck.
Here's a little light reading for you on the subject of old truck history...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14339428

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...our-truck.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-in-72-a.html

Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 PM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Quick question - Is there something that they might need to order that could take a few weeks to arrive? Would a regular car battery work, or would they need something specific that your average small town mechanic wouldn't have on hand? I'd like them to be waiting for one last thing before they can get the truck out for a drive.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:30 PM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc

These were great! I loved the old pics included. Thank you!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 PM
ChristiansenP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery might be a good one. They are a 6 volt system, and only old stuff uses 6v. My Napa had one, but none of the other AutoZone type places did, and while not RARE, they aren't your average grab from Costco kinda thing.
might make it dramatic too, since you can't do anything without a battery. So they'd have to fix it all up and not know if it worked until the battery arrived, and then it fires to life.

And yes, I'm definitely Danish! Grandparents speak it fluently, dad is 100pct Danish, I definitely claim that as my heritage. My sister made a trek back to Denmark a few years ago and visited many of our relatives who live there.
And to make the world smaller, I also grew up in the Seattle area, and now live in Montana. Next time you come through, give me a call, it'd be fun to connect!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:52 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Quick question - Is there something that they might need to order that could take a few weeks to arrive? Would a regular car battery work, or would they need something specific that your average small town mechanic wouldn't have on hand? I'd like them to be waiting for one last thing before they can get the truck out for a drive.
An original 6-volt battery isn't that hard to find.

Water pumps are a little more difficult, especially if it is a 6-cylinder engine. Some are not available and have to be sent to a shop to be rebuilt.

If they don't have the money to buy a new one, it can take a while to get the radiator repaired. Shops that repair them are becoming hard to find. And many of them stay backed up.

Almost any important part could be out of stock and on backorder. Although it's rare, packages still get lost in shipping or snagged by porch pirates. If you're low on funds that can really hurt. Also, sometimes purchasing on eBay can take forever. I bought a part once and was way to patient. It took a month and a half.

6.00 x 16 tires can be difficult to find.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:53 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristiansenP
Battery might be a good one. They are a 6 volt system, and only old stuff uses 6v. My Napa had one, but none of the other AutoZone type places did, and while not RARE, they aren't your average grab from Costco kinda thing.
might make it dramatic too, since you can't do anything without a battery. So they'd have to fix it all up and not know if it worked until the battery arrived, and then it fires to life.
Actually, that's not bad.
They're not rare here. They have them at Tractor Supply. But if there isn't one nearby? Yeah, that could work.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 AM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChristiansenP

And yes, I'm definitely Danish! Grandparents speak it fluently, dad is 100pct Danish, I definitely claim that as my heritage. My sister made a trek back to Denmark a few years ago and visited many of our relatives who live there.
And to make the world smaller, I also grew up in the Seattle area, and now live in Montana. Next time you come through, give me a call, it'd be fun to connect!
Small world, indeed! Do you happen to know if your dad or either of your grandparents were active in the Danish Brotherhood here in Seattle? We still have some 'old timers' who are 80+ and have been active since they came to the US 50-60+ years ago. There was an old boarding house in Seattle called Washington Hall that the Danes built. My dad and I are still pretty active in the club. And yeah, that would be great. I might be in town in September, unsure yet!

And yep, I like the idea of needing to take some time for a battery, even if it's not THAT hard to find, shipping can be slow (esp. to a small town). And it's fiction - it doesn't need to be exact.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:23 AM
hannealexis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker

6.00 x 16 tires can be difficult to find.

Just a few thoughts.
This wouldn't be a bad idea, I just need them to be waiting for SOMETHING, so that there is a bit of suspense before getting it on the road for a test drive.

Quick Reply: Help with descriptions!