'65 Econoline steering gear question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'65 Econoline steering gear question(s)

I considered tacking this question onto another thread or two but I wasn't sure how to do it without inadvertently hi-jacking the thread so, here goes...
Folks, I've been around a while but spend much of my time in the Big Bronco Forum as I have had several over the years. However, I've come to own an 8-door Econoline from 1965 and I am desperately seeking upgrades.
Question One - I have it on good authority (Numberdummy) that the steering gear in these vans is an obsolete part. However, does anyone know or has anyone swapped in a different gearbox and if so please enlighten me? (Would be really curious of someone has done a power steering box conversion without a full-on rack & pinion retrofit).

Question Two - Something about my sense of safety wants to replace the OEM brake master cylinder with a two-circuit MC and while I am aware that Econo Disc Brakes manufactures retrofit kits using a late model Ranger MC, I am asking the question here before presuming I know enough to commit to sourcing this mod through them.

As always, any information including opinions are more than welcome and I thank my fellow FTE members in advance.