Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2017 Ford Escape Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Ford Escape Battery Issue

The battery in my 2017 Escape will not stay up any longer than three weeks. If I let it sit any longer than that it requires a recharge. Are all 2017 Escapes like this or is it only mine? I have already had the original battery replaced under warranty when it would not hold a charge. I could always put a trickle charger on it when I know it will sit for awhile but I have had other cars and trucks that have sat for as long as six months without a recharge, I don't know why the battery won't hold up...

Old 01-21-2019, 04:41 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the battery ground cable and connect an ammeter between the battery post and the chassis and see what if any, the draw is when everything is off, that will tell you if it is the battery or it is just being drained by an unintentional load.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Yeah, I can do that and I am sure I will find a load on the battery with all the electronics in the car. I'm just wondering what Ford was thinking when they put all that load on the battery when the car is parked and if anyone else has experienced the problem. Ford even has a special battery for the car...a $300 job. Found that out when the battery was replaced under warranty. There is no reason why I should not be able to leave the car parked for 4-6 weeks without the battery dying. I've never had this problem with a new car previous to this.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 AM
simonsi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Yeah, I can do that and I am sure I will find a load on the battery with all the electronics in the car. I'm just wondering what Ford was thinking when they put all that load on the battery when the car is parked and if anyone else has experienced the problem. Ford even has a special battery for the car...a $300 job. Found that out when the battery was replaced under warranty. There is no reason why I should not be able to leave the car parked for 4-6 weeks without the battery dying. I've never had this problem with a new car previous to this.
Newer cars often come with more convenience features that may require more power when “off” (think keyless entry for example), some also partially power up when they detect a key approaching in order to be ready for the driver on entry. Generally newer cars draw more power when off by design. Even a small draw can easily flatten a perfectly good battery over several weeks.

If I have a car that sits idle for longer periods I simply put a solar charger on the dash and then know the battery will be full no matter how long it sits.

But if you want to know if it is normal you’ll need to measure the draw and check with a dealer.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I spoke with a tech at the dealership about this. He invited me to bring the car in to check the drain on the battery if I wanted to but said this was pretty normal due to all the electronics on the car. He said they even have to boost brand new cars on the lot to move them around if they sit in one place for more than a month. It sucks, but I guess I'll be dragging out the old solar charger if I plan to let it sit longer than three weeks.